• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Isn't it strange?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

First our petition disappears and now the site is experiencing problems. Hmmm seems to me to be the work of a HACKER. Now, I must be imagining things, Diamond Jim and his henchmen surely wouldn't put some one up to hacking would they?

This seems to be a little more than just a coincidence.

AaronS

imported post

I am not to sure if Jim and ALL his friends have the smarts to pull it off.

I am very interested to know what happened to the petition though. It just went upin smoke...

It would not shock me if this was done by a Hacker...

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. We don't want people thinking we are wearing tin foil hats over here.:lol:

This forum runs on the mywobb forum software which uses .php to make queries of an SQL database.The slowdownyou are seeing is all toocommon on larger forums that run on shared servers. Thedatabase can get huge andwhen a new post or reply is added it (admin configurable option)will need to check against the words in the new post and add any that don't exist into the current searchtable in the database. This is probably what is causing the slow down but this is also what gives you an accurate search function. A dedicated server would probably fix all these problems buta dedicated server costs a lot of money.

As for the petition, I have no idea. But if it was foul play of any sort that would give us more ammo than the actual petition IMO.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

well the whole petitiononline site is down..
that site hosts thousands of them and im sure it wasnt directed at us..

could just be someones petition was popular enough to cause some problems.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

The fact of the matter is, I don't care if they think I am wearing a tin foil hat. The idiots in Madison would definitely try something like this if they had some one willing to do the dirty work for them. Maybe it is the server. The point is we have to keep our eyes open for this kind of stuff and plan ahead. Being a state employee I am well aware of what they are capable of.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

So much for tin foil hats!

PetitionOnLine‏ From:
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Tue 6/16/09 12:10 PM To: j.gleason@hotmail.com
Code:
Dear James,

Thanks for the call.  And thank you for sharing your concern about  
this, which we share, along with literally tens of thousands of  
petition authors altogether.

This is already our worst outage in nearly ten years of petition  
hosting, and it is still ongoing.  A basic discussion of the DDoS  
attack being waged against us is posted here:
[url=http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28380]http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28380[/url]

Even though our servers are and have been running fine, and the data  
on them is safe, they remain temporarily unreachable over the  
Internet due to this attack.

Please feel free to share that information link widely.  There are  
tens of thousands of active petitions at any given time on  
PetitionOnline, and each of those represents an author and community  
of concern.  To our great frustration, with the PetitionOnline site  
inaccessible, we don't have a good direct way to get information to  
site users.

At least that information link can be readily found now by a Google  
search.  We'll post updates there as more information on this urgent  
and serious situation becomes available.

We appreciate your support of PetitionOnline, more than ever during  
this time of ridiculous Internet political warefare!

With best wishes,

Kevin Matthews

Judy Ness
ArchitectureWeek
Advertising Sales and Marketing
[email]ads@artifice.com[/email]
541-345-7421 vox.
541-345-7438 fax.
800-203-8324 USA toll free

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is the 2nd reply I received from the company that owns onlinepetition.com

Re: onlinepetition.com‏ From: Kevin Matthews (matthews@artifice.com) Sent: Tue 6/16/09 1:52 PM To: James Gleason (j.gleason@hotmail.com)
Code:
With apologies and appreciation to all who have written us with questions and support around the ongoing network outage to PetitionOnline, caused by a massive distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack, given the volume of letters, I'm sending this out as a general response.

General overview, useful links, and a few comments:
[url=http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28380]http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28380[/url]

Most recent update, including a copy of our letter to the FBI:
[url=http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28417]http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28417[/url]

PetitionOnline has been inaccessible to everyone since sometime Friday morning, making this by far our worst outage in nearly ten years of petition hosting, and still ongoing.  

Our servers are and have been running fine, and the data on them is safe.  However, because this attacks blocks all web access to the site, PetitionOnline remains temporarily unreachable over the Internet.  Literally tens of thousands of active petitions are stuck on hold while this crisis continues.

Given the nature of PetitionOnline related to grassroots advocacy, there is a good chance there is some kind of political motive behind this massive and anonymous attack.  We will not yield to such tactics.  The site will be fully usable again, picking up again just where we were Friday morning, just as soon as we can get this resolved, by any means available whether technical, through law enforcement, or both.

Please feel free to share that information link widely.  There are tens of thousands of active petitions at any given time on PetitionOnline, and each of those represents an author and community of concern.  To our great frustration, with the PetitionOnline site inaccessible, we don't have a good direct way to get information to site users.

And thanks so much for your support, which we truly need and value now, as always, and more than ever.

with best wishes,

Kevin Matthews
PetitionOnline
Artifice, Inc.
541-345-7421 office 
541-345-7438 fax 
PO Box 1588 
Eugene, OR 97440

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, I just read that about 4 hours ago on another siteand then couldn't post it on this forum because it was down.

Guess I'll have to get out my tin foil hat after all....or maybe the one that Bill M. wore in Caddyshack instead.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I'm sorry, I should have worded that differently. Our info is safe in the data bank of petitiononline.com. Who ever is hacking their site cannot get to it. I didn't mean it was safe because the FBI was involved.

Yeah I don't think that would necessarily make it safe. :lol:

Anyone seen my foil hat? :what:

protias

imported post

I just checked the Petitions Online site a few minutes ago and it is back up. :celebrate