Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Ohio OC Experience

Post imported post

I was home to Ohio last week for Ohio Bike Week and my nieces graduation from Bedford, Mi High School (Held at the University of Toledo).

Carried to UT, and secured my Glock in the trunk of my sisters car. I did see a UT officer, and he had the :what:. He never did come over, but I did see him after we left, sitting in the next parking lot over.

Carried at The Andersons in Maumee and in Northern Toledo. No problems. Ate lunch in Tony Packo's in the northern one, and only was stared at by an older gentlemen. Not sure if he was worried about my Glock or was wondering why I was explaining all the pictures of celebs eating Packo's dogs to my girlfriend.......

Carried at a few Krogers too. (No Krogers here, and I like them!)

Carried at Toledo Harley Davidson, Circle K on Secor, Lakeview Park in Lorain, Gas Station at Community Road and Lake Road (Behind the Shopping center) in Sheffield Lake.

While showing my girlfriend a house I lived in near Tennyson Elementary School I was pulled over by a Sheffield Lake Officer. I had no clue why I was pulled over. As he approached, he introduced himself as Captain *****, can I see your license and registration. As per Ohio law, I stated that I was a CHP holder, and that I was armed. He said thank you, and this time asked for my DL and CHP. I asked him if I could get my wallet out of my back pocket, and he said to go right ahead.

I handed him both, he then asked me what we were doing there, and I told him about the tour for my girlfriend. He then told me that he stopped me because it was "one way" on the street in front of Tennyson School during school hours. I explained that I must have missed the sign when I turned onto the street, and apologized.

He said that he felt that I would not make that mistake again, handed me my CHP and DL back, told me to have a nice day. Good encounter!!!

Carriedto Avon LakeBarber Shop (Owner, Gary CribbsisPRO GUN!!) but they were closed on Monday, atHuntington Park in Bay Village, around the Rock Hall of Fame (Never went in, we were on a time schedule)in Cleveland, on Mayfield at the Italian Village, Southeast Harley Davidson and at Qdoba in Macedonia Commons.

In Sandusky, Wal-Mart on 250 near Perkins Town Hall, what was left of Reorder (sp) Harley Davidson. While talking to the restroom attendent in the HD dealer, he got a little excited when he saw the Glock, and starting calling me "detective". I explained to him the reason that I carry, and that I am not a "detective". He was from Chicago, and had no idea that carrying in Ohio was legal.

On the one good day I had to ride, coming back from Sandusky, we stopped at the Fireworks dealer in Jerulsalem on Route 2, and had to let my girlfriend go in by herself, because there was no where to secure on the bike. They had a big sign with the line through the gun, and two guards.

Did not spend much time in Michigan, but did open carry in Lambertville around my sisters neighborhood, with several stares, but nothing to write about.

All in all, I think it was a great OC week, except for the rain.

Carl

Post imported post

Baller!!

Post imported post

Good job sounded like a it was fun doing all of that as well.

Post imported post

Thanks for the Ohio report. Much appreciated.

I'll feel a bit better carrying on my next trip up there to my brother's place.

It was kind of strange reading your message with all of the those places I used to frequent when I lived up there!

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Post imported post

Yeah, when I was taking my girlfriend around, she remarked, "you sure have lived in a lot of places".

I do miss it sometimes.

Carl

Post imported post

I know that I'm almost a year behind this thread, but I just stumbled upon it and feel that I should point out how lucky you were. Michigan allows residents to open carry, but does not allow non-residents to bring a handgun into the state unless you have a concealed carry license issued by your state of residence. It is a FELONY and you lose your firearm. A law was passed that allowed out-of-state residents to bring their handguns to a gun club in a border county if you carried a current membership card of that club. As a former resident of Michigan who bought and registered his handguns there, and then moved to Ohio, I was baffled when I found out that I could no longer hunt deer in Michigan, because at that time, Ohio did not issue CCL's. So I did the next best thing, I bought a .375 H&H Magnum for deer hunting. Got three so far. Deer, that is.

Post imported post

Since MI and VA have reciprocity, I was not breaking any laws.

This thread was started in June of '09.

Carl

Post imported post

My mistakes. I was under the impression that you did not have a concealed carry license and was open carrying. Also, I mistakenly referenced your joining date as the time of posting. Mea culpa.

Post imported post

No problem.

I opened carried in MI too, but did not go to as many places, because my family lives in a border town.

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    Carried at The Andersons in Maumee and in Northern Toledo.* No problems.* Ate lunch in Tony Packo's in the northern one, and only was stared at by an older gentlemen.* Not sure if he was worried about my Glock or was wondering why I was explaining all the pictures of celebs eating Packo's dogs to my girlfriend.......
    You lucky S.O.B., I work for The Andersons (not for Retail Division, but Turf & Specialty Group) and we have signs posted stating that weapons are prohibited.

Post imported post

The Andersons on Talmadge is definitely posted. They claimed that they were required to post because they held wine tastings one day a week for a couple of hours. When I asked why the store was posted even though the law had been changed to allow carrying, I got a big smirk from the clerk, and he told me to go ahead and write the president of the Corp., because the new pres. doesn't like guns and it will be an exercise in futility to complain. I pushed my cart off to the side of the aisle and told him that I would be back every couple of months to see if the signs came down, but not a nickle of my money would be spent in the store until then. Now I have to get an e-mail address and actually write to the clown.

Post imported post

His name is Mike Anderson, his public email address is emailthepresident@andersonsinc.com and his direct phone number is (419) 891-2758, but you didn't hear that last part from me

Post imported post

E-mail sent.

Post imported post

Hey guys I was open carrying at Gun Store which I go to alot and is really freakn awesome btw,well I was talking to this Retired MArine (put on your war face magot lol) and we were talking about Oc and then he mentioned that once you get your CCW you have to cover up. Now after reading tons of articles and the whole CCW handbook at least three times and any gun ORC for ohio im pretty sure this is incorrect. I questioned him about it and since im pretty cool with him I just dropped it and told the other guy we were talking to that he should do his own home work.
    I guess the question is was there a law maybe years ago or some ORC of something local around cleveland or akron that obligated CCW permit holders to always conceal?

Post imported post

There is nothing that I know of, I know a lot OC'ers hat have their CHL. A couple of which are from that area. But i would still look into it yourself if I were you. But I am about 99% sure that there is no law that says you have to conceal, state or local. But as I said it would still be wise to make sure.

Post imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
    I guess the question is was there a law maybe years ago or some ORC of something local around cleveland or akron that obligated CCW permit holders to always conceal?
    No such law has ever existed. I'm not sure when you moved to Ohio, but CCW has only been legal here since April 2004.

Post imported post

I moved here in the middle of 05 in any case im from Hawaii so we dont have any rights so this completely new to me.
    I have done my best to find some info on this and the fact that since the attorney general does not regulate OC than that must be the case im just really confused of how a gunshop worker who works with a bunch of NRA instructors could be mistaken but im not from ohio so what do I know.
    Wait what did people do before 04 in carrying? Did everyone just OC?

Post imported post

Well, I had a cop who was a certified instructor misstate the law to our permit class, so don't be so surprised. Prior to 2004, you could either OC, or get a concealed carry permit if you were one of the beautiful people (judge, jewel courier... that sort of thing). There was a "reasonable/prudent person" affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon under the old law, but you basically had to admit that you were violating the letter of the law, but with a compelling reason. This amounted to self-incrimination, and was one of the legal arguments used to get the law changed so that we are a "shall issue"permit state now.

-ljp

Post imported post

I think that is the way Hawaii does their CCW pretty much dont quote me on that one.
    I had an Idea that they should scrap the whole CCW system and every OPATA NRA and LEOs volunteer and teach their own firearms saftey class as a requirment to keep there LEO credentials so everyone learns the same stuff and no one is higher than the other plus there would be only a suggested non profit donation. A donation that would go to victims of guncrime and a non profit defense fund for anyone who needs legal help for prosecution where a gun is involved legaly.

My OC experience today Aug 11 BE forewarned OCers w out ccw BP in portage lakes of off limits.And even if you do have a CCW please do not buy gas from there.
    I ran out of gas go to the BP for a gas can and go to buy gas and the dude is super hostile and asks if I have a CCW as I am Ocing. And I tell him no since I have firearm saftey class from an army buddie and I dont feel comfortable concealing.This gentleman says that he is permit holder and feels thrented that I am Ocing and wants me off the property since he owns the place. So I tell him ok thats fine and I leave.
    In any case I must say its the people who are Gun owners and anti OC that are hurting the cause to stay free.

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    ...Prior to 2004, you could either OC, or get a concealed carry permit if you were one of the beautiful people (judge, jewel courier... that sort of thing)...
    (my emphasis above)

Wrong.

There was no such thing before HB12 was signed by Governor Shaft (okay, Taft).

Post imported post

Wow so Ohio was just like Hawaii before 04 where unless you were super state approved then you were "JUST A CIVILIAN"?

Post imported post

So Ohio only had the "prudent person" affirmative defense before and not carry permits of any kind? Had not known that - I thought there was some kind of discretionary permit situation before. I guess the beautiful people were able to get by with the affirmative defense, because I don't remember any successful "white collar" prosecutions for CCW back in the day.

In any case, the laws have changed here, generally for the better.

-ljp

Post imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
    Wow so Ohio was just like Hawaii before 04 where unless you were super state approved then you were "JUST A CIVILIAN"?
    Affirmative. (MAYBE)

>edited< -Hawaii HAS and has had concealed carry licences (they just don't give them out!). OH **never had** them at all until HB12 passed.

I interpreted your "super state approved" to mean "A group of people okay to CCWby law. There were certain groups of people who could carry, but no one else.

Now that I have re-read your question, I wanted to clarify my answer.

Post imported post

I just mean that since things have gotten so bad nationwide that you have to become a non ordinarry person in some states to CC which in Hawaii is very evident.

Today at 6pm at my Apt in Kent around the corner from KPD I got a Man with a gun call on me. I was just bbqing and making smores with the 4 year old and my friends little brothers and his gf. Im infront of my apt making smores and ive got 6 officers looking at me.So the female officer asks me if I always carry in the open and i say yes seeing that I do not have a permit to do other wise. Then she asks for my license and I told her I dont have it so she asked me for my DOB/SSN.
    I told them I was glad they did come since MWAG calls are important and that the saftey of my little sister and the community is my first concern.
    Funny thing when I told the male officer that I dont loaded carry in my car since I dont have a CCW and that Its my duty to protect the people I care about he shakes his head. When she was running my info I told her that I dont have a felonies and that I wasent waving my gun around or anything,I come back clean and they leave.

All in all I think that is was a pretty good MWAG experience I think that KPD was very professional and as I courteous and not confrontational they acted the same.
    Im glad they didnt escalate the event and tackle me since I was surrounded by pretty much every cop on duty.

Post imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
    ...Today at 6pm at my Apt in Kent around the corner from KPD I got a Man with a gun call on me...
    Congrats on your first stop!

A couple of thingsyou may want to note- 1) you didn't have to identify yourself, and 2) the more you talk, the more trouble you *might* find yourself in.

I'm glad that the Kent PD appear to recognize that OC is legal.

You don't have a CHL, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast