• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Ohio OC Experience

t11spanner

imported post

I was home to Ohio last week for Ohio Bike Week and my nieces graduation from Bedford, Mi High School (Held at the University of Toledo).

Carried to UT, and secured my Glock in the trunk of my sisters car. I did see a UT officer, and he had the :what:. He never did come over, but I did see him after we left, sitting in the next parking lot over.

Carried at The Andersons in Maumee and in Northern Toledo. No problems. Ate lunch in Tony Packo's in the northern one, and only was stared at by an older gentlemen. Not sure if he was worried about my Glock or was wondering why I was explaining all the pictures of celebs eating Packo's dogs to my girlfriend.......

Carried at a few Krogers too. (No Krogers here, and I like them!)

Carried at Toledo Harley Davidson, Circle K on Secor, Lakeview Park in Lorain, Gas Station at Community Road and Lake Road (Behind the Shopping center) in Sheffield Lake.

While showing my girlfriend a house I lived in near Tennyson Elementary School I was pulled over by a Sheffield Lake Officer. I had no clue why I was pulled over. As he approached, he introduced himself as Captain *****, can I see your license and registration. As per Ohio law, I stated that I was a CHP holder, and that I was armed. He said thank you, and this time asked for my DL and CHP. I asked him if I could get my wallet out of my back pocket, and he said to go right ahead.

I handed him both, he then asked me what we were doing there, and I told him about the tour for my girlfriend. He then told me that he stopped me because it was "one way" on the street in front of Tennyson School during school hours. I explained that I must have missed the sign when I turned onto the street, and apologized.

He said that he felt that I would not make that mistake again, handed me my CHP and DL back, told me to have a nice day. Good encounter!!!

Carriedto Avon LakeBarber Shop (Owner, Gary CribbsisPRO GUN!!) but they were closed on Monday, atHuntington Park in Bay Village, around the Rock Hall of Fame (Never went in, we were on a time schedule)in Cleveland, on Mayfield at the Italian Village, Southeast Harley Davidson and at Qdoba in Macedonia Commons.

In Sandusky, Wal-Mart on 250 near Perkins Town Hall, what was left of Reorder (sp) Harley Davidson. While talking to the restroom attendent in the HD dealer, he got a little excited when he saw the Glock, and starting calling me "detective". I explained to him the reason that I carry, and that I am not a "detective". He was from Chicago, and had no idea that carrying in Ohio was legal.

On the one good day I had to ride, coming back from Sandusky, we stopped at the Fireworks dealer in Jerulsalem on Route 2, and had to let my girlfriend go in by herself, because there was no where to secure on the bike. They had a big sign with the line through the gun, and two guards.

Did not spend much time in Michigan, but did open carry in Lambertville around my sisters neighborhood, with several stares, but nothing to write about.

All in all, I think it was a great OC week, except for the rain.

Carl

ADulay

imported post

Thanks for the Ohio report. Much appreciated.

I'll feel a bit better carrying on my next trip up there to my brother's place.

It was kind of strange reading your message with all of the those places I used to frequent when I lived up there!

AD

topeka

imported post

I know that I'm almost a year behind this thread, but I just stumbled upon it and feel that I should point out how lucky you were. Michigan allows residents to open carry, but does not allow non-residents to bring a handgun into the state unless you have a concealed carry license issued by your state of residence. It is a FELONY and you lose your firearm. A law was passed that allowed out-of-state residents to bring their handguns to a gun club in a border county if you carried a current membership card of that club. As a former resident of Michigan who bought and registered his handguns there, and then moved to Ohio, I was baffled when I found out that I could no longer hunt deer in Michigan, because at that time, Ohio did not issue CCL's. So I did the next best thing, I bought a .375 H&H Magnum for deer hunting. Got three so far. Deer, that is.

topeka

imported post

My mistakes. I was under the impression that you did not have a concealed carry license and was open carrying. Also, I mistakenly referenced your joining date as the time of posting. Mea culpa.

ozone_00

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Carried at The Andersons in Maumee and in Northern Toledo.  No problems.  Ate lunch in Tony Packo's in the northern one, and only was stared at by an older gentlemen.  Not sure if he was worried about my Glock or was wondering why I was explaining all the pictures of celebs eating Packo's dogs to my girlfriend.......
You lucky S.O.B., I work for The Andersons (not for Retail Division, but Turf & Specialty Group) and we have signs posted stating that weapons are prohibited.

topeka

imported post

The Andersons on Talmadge is definitely posted. They claimed that they were required to post because they held wine tastings one day a week for a couple of hours. When I asked why the store was posted even though the law had been changed to allow carrying, I got a big smirk from the clerk, and he told me to go ahead and write the president of the Corp., because the new pres. doesn't like guns and it will be an exercise in futility to complain. I pushed my cart off to the side of the aisle and told him that I would be back every couple of months to see if the signs came down, but not a nickle of my money would be spent in the store until then. Now I have to get an e-mail address and actually write to the clown.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Hey guys I was open carrying at Gun Store which I go to alot and is really freakn awesome btw,well I was talking to this Retired MArine (put on your war face magot lol) and we were talking about Oc and then he mentioned that once you get your CCW you have to cover up. Now after reading tons of articles and the whole CCW handbook at least three times and any gun ORC for ohio im pretty sure this is incorrect. I questioned him about it and since im pretty cool with him I just dropped it and told the other guy we were talking to that he should do his own home work.
I guess the question is was there a law maybe years ago or some ORC of something local around cleveland or akron that obligated CCW permit holders to always conceal?

IxionDeece

imported post

There is nothing that I know of, I know a lot OC'ers hat have their CHL. A couple of which are from that area. But i would still look into it yourself if I were you. But I am about 99% sure that there is no law that says you have to conceal, state or local. But as I said it would still be wise to make sure.

RT48

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I guess the question is was there a law maybe years ago or some ORC of something local around cleveland or akron that obligated CCW permit holders to always conceal?
No such law has ever existed. I'm not sure when you moved to Ohio, but CCW has only been legal here since April 2004.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I moved here in the middle of 05 in any case im from Hawaii so we dont have any rights so this completely new to me.
I have done my best to find some info on this and the fact that since the attorney general does not regulate OC than that must be the case im just really confused of how a gunshop worker who works with a bunch of NRA instructors could be mistaken but im not from ohio so what do I know.
Wait what did people do before 04 in carrying? Did everyone just OC?

Legba

imported post

Well, I had a cop who was a certified instructor misstate the law to our permit class, so don't be so surprised. Prior to 2004, you could either OC, or get a concealed carry permit if you were one of the beautiful people (judge, jewel courier... that sort of thing). There was a "reasonable/prudent person" affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon under the old law, but you basically had to admit that you were violating the letter of the law, but with a compelling reason. This amounted to self-incrimination, and was one of the legal arguments used to get the law changed so that we are a "shall issue"permit state now.

-ljp

Bustelo5%

imported post

I think that is the way Hawaii does their CCW pretty much dont quote me on that one.
I had an Idea that they should scrap the whole CCW system and every OPATA NRA and LEOs volunteer and teach their own firearms saftey class as a requirment to keep there LEO credentials so everyone learns the same stuff and no one is higher than the other plus there would be only a suggested non profit donation. A donation that would go to victims of guncrime and a non profit defense fund for anyone who needs legal help for prosecution where a gun is involved legaly.

My OC experience today Aug 11 BE forewarned OCers w out ccw BP in portage lakes of off limits.And even if you do have a CCW please do not buy gas from there.
I ran out of gas go to the BP for a gas can and go to buy gas and the dude is super hostile and asks if I have a CCW as I am Ocing. And I tell him no since I have firearm saftey class from an army buddie and I dont feel comfortable concealing.This gentleman says that he is permit holder and feels thrented that I am Ocing and wants me off the property since he owns the place. So I tell him ok thats fine and I leave.
In any case I must say its the people who are Gun owners and anti OC that are hurting the cause to stay free.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Legba wrote:
...Prior to 2004, you could either OC, or get a concealed carry permit if you were one of the beautiful people (judge, jewel courier... that sort of thing)...
(my emphasis above)

Wrong.

There was no such thing before HB12 was signed by Governor Shaft (okay, Taft).