• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Ohio OC Experience

Bustelo5%

imported post

Wow so Ohio was just like Hawaii before 04 where unless you were super state approved then you were "JUST A CIVILIAN"?

Legba

imported post

So Ohio only had the "prudent person" affirmative defense before and not carry permits of any kind? Had not known that - I thought there was some kind of discretionary permit situation before. I guess the beautiful people were able to get by with the affirmative defense, because I don't remember any successful "white collar" prosecutions for CCW back in the day.

In any case, the laws have changed here, generally for the better.

-ljp

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Wow so Ohio was just like Hawaii before 04 where unless you were super state approved then you were "JUST A CIVILIAN"?
Affirmative. (MAYBE)

>edited< -Hawaii HAS and has had concealed carry licences (they just don't give them out!). OH **never had** them at all until HB12 passed.

I interpreted your "super state approved" to mean "A group of people okay to CCWby law. There were certain groups of people who could carry, but no one else.

Now that I have re-read your question, I wanted to clarify my answer.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I just mean that since things have gotten so bad nationwide that you have to become a non ordinarry person in some states to CC which in Hawaii is very evident.

Today at 6pm at my Apt in Kent around the corner from KPD I got a Man with a gun call on me. I was just bbqing and making smores with the 4 year old and my friends little brothers and his gf. Im infront of my apt making smores and ive got 6 officers looking at me.So the female officer asks me if I always carry in the open and i say yes seeing that I do not have a permit to do other wise. Then she asks for my license and I told her I dont have it so she asked me for my DOB/SSN.
I told them I was glad they did come since MWAG calls are important and that the saftey of my little sister and the community is my first concern.
Funny thing when I told the male officer that I dont loaded carry in my car since I dont have a CCW and that Its my duty to protect the people I care about he shakes his head. When she was running my info I told her that I dont have a felonies and that I wasent waving my gun around or anything,I come back clean and they leave.

All in all I think that is was a pretty good MWAG experience I think that KPD was very professional and as I courteous and not confrontational they acted the same.
Im glad they didnt escalate the event and tackle me since I was surrounded by pretty much every cop on duty.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
...Today at 6pm at my Apt in Kent around the corner from KPD I got a Man with a gun call on me...
Congrats on your first stop!

A couple of thingsyou may want to note- 1) you didn't have to identify yourself, and 2) the more you talk, the more trouble you *might* find yourself in.

I'm glad that the Kent PD appear to recognize that OC is legal.

You don't have a CHL, right?

Bustelo5%

imported post

No I do not and I am proud of Ocing without a permit in a state that is way more cool than Hawaii could ever be.Being from Kahlihi where you need a weapon and living here where you actually have the option of carrying I feel pretty blessed.

Well they just ran up on me and I had two options to not say anything but since I had the 4year old around I decided to say cordial and be up front.
I think that it was a pretty good OC MWAG call.