Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry and Extra Magazines

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

My question is a two-part thought.

First, do you carry extra magazines? What is the capacity of your carry gun?

Personally, I carry a full size XD9, which holds 16+1. I have not been carrying a spare magazine, mostly along the lines of if I need more than 17 rounds, it must be a REALLY bad day. (I am thinking the odds are along the lines of winning the lottery.)

I also haven't really found a comfortable method of carrying a spare magazine. The mag holsters that came with my XD are not really what I want to use for everyday carry. I would prefer something that is easy to put on, hard to be removed, and securely holds the magazine with some form of retention, be it a flap or whatever.

Secondly, if you do carry a spare mag or two, do you do so when you conceal carry?

I currently do not ever conceal carry, but I am considering adding it to my repertoire. There have been certain situations where concealed carry would have been a bit more effective than open carry.

I will most likely purchase the Crossbreed, since I hear many good things about it, and it seems that it would fit my needs.

My quest is how do I carry the spare magazine while conceal carrying?

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    My question is a two-part thought.

First, do you carry extra magazines? What is the capacity of your carry gun?

Personally, I carry a full size XD9, which holds 16+1. I have not been carrying a spare magazine, mostly along the lines of if I need more than 17 rounds, it must be a REALLY bad day. (I am thinking the odds are along the lines of winning the lottery.)

I also haven't really found a comfortable method of carrying a spare magazine. The mag holsters that came with my XD are not really what I want to use for everyday carry. I would prefer something that is easy to put on, hard to be removed, and securely holds the magazine with some form of retention, be it a flap or whatever.

Secondly, if you do carry a spare mag or two, do you do so when you conceal carry?

I currently do not ever conceal carry, but I am considering adding it to my repertoire. There have been certain situations where concealed carry would have been a bit more effective than open carry.

I will most likely purchase the Crossbreed, since I hear many good things about it, and it seems that it would fit my needs.

My quest is how do I carry the spare magazine while conceal carrying?
    Simple but your front pocket may be a good bet

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Here is the problem with the front pocket: It sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a problem for open carry, but when I want to go "covert", not a workable solution.

16 round mags are fairly large.

Post imported post

1911s make for great concealed carry guns (even the 5" models), and the mags can't be beat for that purpose either. :P

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Most of the shoulder rigs I've seen have Mag/speedloader pouches attached on the opposite sidefrom the holster.

Post imported post

I don't necessarily always carry a spare mag, but I almost always have one nearby. I typically keep one in my briefcase which is near me throughout the workday or when I travel unless I am just running errands locally when I usually carry an extra on my belt. All that being said:

Right now I have a cheapy nylon mag holster that slips on my belt. I would actually carry an extra on my belt more often if I had a clip on type mag holster that was easier to put on as sometimes I intend to carry it but forget to thread it on my belt and then after getting fully dressed I don't mess with it.

Also, I don't carry an extra mag so much for the extra ammo usually (although there are times that I choose to carry more than one extra mag) but more typically I want an extra mag because mags sometimes fail and the only thing worse than running out of ammo is having plenty of ammo you can't deliver on the threat.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I use military surplus magazine pouches. They are incredibly inexpensive, and made ofvery durable canvas. They fit nicely on a belt, or in a back pocket.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I carry my XD40 (4" barrel) in a left hand Crossbreed Qwik clip holster set up for crossdraw. I also carry two spare mags in an Uncle Mikes double mag pouch at the 5:00 position.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks for all the replies..

I guess what I really want to know is how do you carry concealed, with extra mags?

Post imported post

Well, I just use an OWB mag holster. But then if I CC (basically in my own house), I just wear extra-large t-shirts for concealment.

Post imported post

I always carry a spare on the theory that there are too many things that are most easily remedied with a clearance and a magazine change.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I had the same problem for a while. After some searching I bought a Bianchi Accumold LE mag pouch with a snap. It's OWB, but I also use a pancacke OWB holster when CCing - just wear a loose shirt over it. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs, so i seem to be able tocomfortably conceal even a full size semiauto OWB as long as shirt is long enough. I really don't like the feel of IWB carry - really bothers me.

Post imported post

That being said, I normally don't carry any spare mags unless I go somewhere remote enoguh.

Post imported post

I believe it's always a good idea to have a spare mag on you no matter what. Murphy's Law always seems to bite a lot of people. I carry a Steyr M40A1 in a IWB holster and the spare mag on a OWB holster. I wear X-Large shirts when I'm around CC'ing. It's not a bad idea to have a larger chest to waist ration too. The t-shirt drapes from the shoulders and right over the gear.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Rafdog wrote:
    It's not a bad idea to have a larger chest to waist ration too. The t-shirt drapes from the shoulders and right over the gear.
    Yea.....

But then I have to work out, and eat right, and all that stuff.

:-)

Post imported post

I was in the habit of carrying a spare magazine for my Star .380 loose in my pocket. Well, the thing has gone missing and will cost maybe $20 to replace. Less easily replaced at this point are the 8 bullets that were in it. Annoying, rather, so I would recommend some kind of belt clip/holder for your spare mag(s) if you do carry one or more.

I want my damned magazine back, whoever has it. Probably some do-gooder who called the cops after finding it. I'm sure it will not be used for its intended purpose in any case. I'd rather someone stole the thing outright and got some use out of it. Oh well...

-ljp

Post imported post

Missing mags is one reason why I love the duty belt I use. No question about where they are.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I use a crossbreed IWB twin mag holster but it requires and extra inch in your waistband in addition to whatever you need for the IWB holster.

For OC I use a Duty Belt with a bianche double mag holster.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Most of my Pistols are .45 and a 8 shot cap. I usually never carry more then that with one in the hole, which makes 9. Only if going to a bad area will I ever carry more. I don't want to look like I am ready for a war and I shoot well enough to settle any disputes with less then 8 round I would hope lol
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

First off, I am a gear freak. I like to have a lot of stuff with me

I have packed the pockets of my 5.11 vest full of gear, and I don't care to rattle like a box of nuts and bolts walking down the aisle at walmart.

HOwever, if I choose to not wear the vest, I found what I think is a good solution.

I bought a good, sturdy medium sized nylon digital camera case. In it, I carry:

1. Spare mag

2. LED flashlight

3. Gerber EZ Out pocket knife (Still have one in my pocket on top of this one).

4. Gerber Multitool

5. Fox Pepper Spray (3.5 ounce)

You can get small gear pouches from places like Maxpedition, but they are way overpriced. They offer a pouch for around $25.00. An identicaly sized camera case at Walmanrt is about $10.00.

Post imported post

I own all the gear you have but in AZ, I limit myself to MY 8 round .45 a Pocket knife( SOG, or Cold Steel) and On my key chain ASP OC. I never want to look like I am going to war. I do carrying in my car an ASP Baton and Surefire flashlight. If you look like you are going to war, it is possible you may find it.
    Just my 2 cents.
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

I rarely CC... but I've got a couple 'sideways' nylon mag pouches that will fit a pants belt or the other shoulder strap of the Bianchi 'clamshell' vertical shoulder holster. For the Makarov... I stick it in my jacket pocket and a couple mags in another pocket. (OR) just use one of the 'bucket' holsters if the jacket is long enough. I don't mess with any of that 'retention' stuff. 'Don't need it.

Post imported post

reconvic wrote:
    I own all the gear you have but in AZ, I limit myself to MY 8 round .45 a Pocket knife( SOG, or Cold Steel) and On my key chain ASP OC. I never want to look like I am going to war. I do carrying in my car an ASP Baton and Surefire flashlight. If you look like you are going to war, it is possible you may find it.
    Just my 2 cents.
    S/F Vic
    That's the beauty of it.

It's a camera pouch. It looks like I am carrying a camera around, not gear for war.

Post imported post

reconvic wrote:
    Just my 2 cents.
    S/F Vic
    How is it that carrying a gun openly is not seen as NOT looking like you are going to war, but concealing some accesories IS looking like I am gearing up for war?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast