• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry and Extra Magazines

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My question is a two-part thought.

First, do you carry extra magazines? What is the capacity of your carry gun?

Personally, I carry a full size XD9, which holds 16+1. I have not been carrying a spare magazine, mostly along the lines of if I need more than 17 rounds, it must be a REALLY bad day. (I am thinking the odds are along the lines of winning the lottery.)

I also haven't really found a comfortable method of carrying a spare magazine. The mag holsters that came with my XD are not really what I want to use for everyday carry. I would prefer something that is easy to put on, hard to be removed, and securely holds the magazine with some form of retention, be it a flap or whatever.

Secondly, if you do carry a spare mag or two, do you do so when you conceal carry?

I currently do not ever conceal carry, but I am considering adding it to my repertoire. There have been certain situations where concealed carry would have been a bit more effective than open carry.

I will most likely purchase the Crossbreed, since I hear many good things about it, and it seems that it would fit my needs.

My quest is how do I carry the spare magazine while conceal carrying?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
My question is a two-part thought.

First, do you carry extra magazines? What is the capacity of your carry gun?

Personally, I carry a full size XD9, which holds 16+1. I have not been carrying a spare magazine, mostly along the lines of if I need more than 17 rounds, it must be a REALLY bad day. (I am thinking the odds are along the lines of winning the lottery.)

I also haven't really found a comfortable method of carrying a spare magazine. The mag holsters that came with my XD are not really what I want to use for everyday carry. I would prefer something that is easy to put on, hard to be removed, and securely holds the magazine with some form of retention, be it a flap or whatever.

Secondly, if you do carry a spare mag or two, do you do so when you conceal carry?

I currently do not ever conceal carry, but I am considering adding it to my repertoire. There have been certain situations where concealed carry would have been a bit more effective than open carry.

I will most likely purchase the Crossbreed, since I hear many good things about it, and it seems that it would fit my needs.

My quest is how do I carry the spare magazine while conceal carrying?
Simple but your front pocket may be a good bet;)

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is the problem with the front pocket: It sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a problem for open carry, but when I want to go "covert", not a workable solution.

16 round mags are fairly large.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't necessarily always carry a spare mag, but I almost always have one nearby. I typically keep one in my briefcase which is near me throughout the workday or when I travel unless I am just running errands locally when I usually carry an extra on my belt. All that being said:

Right now I have a cheapy nylon mag holster that slips on my belt. I would actually carry an extra on my belt more often if I had a clip on type mag holster that was easier to put on as sometimes I intend to carry it but forget to thread it on my belt and then after getting fully dressed I don't mess with it.

Also, I don't carry an extra mag so much for the extra ammo usually (although there are times that I choose to carry more than one extra mag) but more typically I want an extra mag because mags sometimes fail and the only thing worse than running out of ammo is having plenty of ammo you can't deliver on the threat.

Michigander

imported post

I use military surplus magazine pouches. They are incredibly inexpensive, and made ofvery durable canvas. They fit nicely on a belt, or in a back pocket.

jeeper1

imported post

I carry my XD40 (4" barrel) in a left hand Crossbreed Qwik clip holster set up for crossdraw. I also carry two spare mags in an Uncle Mikes double mag pouch at the 5:00 position.

Chaingun81

imported post

I had the same problem for a while. After some searching I bought a Bianchi Accumold LE mag pouch with a snap. It's OWB, but I also use a pancacke OWB holster when CCing - just wear a loose shirt over it. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs, so i seem to be able tocomfortably conceal even a full size semiauto OWB as long as shirt is long enough. I really don't like the feel of IWB carry - really bothers me.

Rafdog

imported post

I believe it's always a good idea to have a spare mag on you no matter what. Murphy's Law always seems to bite a lot of people. I carry a Steyr M40A1 in a IWB holster and the spare mag on a OWB holster. I wear X-Large shirts when I'm around CC'ing. It's not a bad idea to have a larger chest to waist ration too. The t-shirt drapes from the shoulders and right over the gear.

Legba

imported post

I was in the habit of carrying a spare magazine for my Star .380 loose in my pocket. Well, the thing has gone missing and will cost maybe $20 to replace. Less easily replaced at this point are the 8 bullets that were in it. Annoying, rather, so I would recommend some kind of belt clip/holder for your spare mag(s) if you do carry one or more.

I want my damned magazine back, whoever has it. Probably some do-gooder who called the cops after finding it. I'm sure it will not be used for its intended purpose in any case. I'd rather someone stole the thing outright and got some use out of it. Oh well...

-ljp

autosurgeon

imported post

I use a crossbreed IWB twin mag holster but it requires and extra inch in your waistband in addition to whatever you need for the IWB holster.

For OC I use a Duty Belt with a bianche double mag holster.

reconvic

imported post

Most of my Pistols are .45 and a 8 shot cap. I usually never carry more then that with one in the hole, which makes 9. Only if going to a bad area will I ever carry more. I don't want to look like I am ready for a war and I shoot well enough to settle any disputes with less then 8 round I would hope lol
S/F Vic