• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry and Extra Magazines

superdemon

imported post

First off, I am a gear freak. I like to have a lot of stuff with me

I have packed the pockets of my 5.11 vest full of gear, and I don't care to rattle like a box of nuts and bolts walking down the aisle at walmart.

HOwever, if I choose to not wear the vest, I found what I think is a good solution.

I bought a good, sturdy medium sized nylon digital camera case. In it, I carry:

1. Spare mag

2. LED flashlight

3. Gerber EZ Out pocket knife (Still have one in my pocket on top of this one).

4. Gerber Multitool

5. Fox Pepper Spray (3.5 ounce)

You can get small gear pouches from places like Maxpedition, but they are way overpriced. They offer a pouch for around $25.00. An identicaly sized camera case at Walmanrt is about $10.00.

reconvic

imported post

I own all the gear you have but in AZ, I limit myself to MY 8 round .45 a Pocket knife( SOG, or Cold Steel) and On my key chain ASP OC. I never want to look like I am going to war. I do carrying in my car an ASP Baton and Surefire flashlight. If you look like you are going to war, it is possible you may find it.
Just my 2 cents.
S/F Vic

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I rarely CC... but I've got a couple 'sideways' nylon mag pouches that will fit a pants belt or the other shoulder strap of the Bianchi 'clamshell' vertical shoulder holster. For the Makarov... I stick it in my jacket pocket and a couple mags in another pocket. (OR) just use one of the 'bucket' holsters if the jacket is long enough. I don't mess with any of that 'retention' stuff. 'Don't need it.

superdemon

imported post

reconvic wrote:
I own all the gear you have but in AZ, I limit myself to MY 8 round .45 a Pocket knife( SOG, or Cold Steel) and On my key chain ASP OC. I never want to look like I am going to war. I do carrying in my car an ASP Baton and Surefire flashlight. If you look like you are going to war, it is possible you may find it.
Just my 2 cents.
S/F Vic

That's the beauty of it.

It's a camera pouch. It looks like I am carrying a camera around, not gear for war.

superdemon

imported post

reconvic wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
S/F Vic
How is it that carrying a gun openly is not seen as NOT looking like you are going to war, but concealing some accesories IS looking like I am gearing up for war?

reconvic

imported post

superdemon wrote:
reconvic wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
S/F Vic
How is it that carrying a gun openly is not seen as NOT looking like you are going to war, but concealing some accessories IS looking like I am gearing up for war?

Please don't misunderstand me, I was not referring just to the open carry. Open carry is all good, but think about all the anti gun people and even the LEo, when they see a gun , in AZ. It is no big thing but if you have many forms of S/D as you mentioned showing it can look like you're gearing up for trouble. One reason my Spray is small on my keychain and does not look like a can of fox OC. a pocket knife no one will see, my phone has a camera built in. so I look just like a "soccer dad" lol. Unless trouble comes I will use whatever means I feel is needed to defuse the situation fast. Just the way I see things my word is not the last word just my opinion.
hope that helped,
S/F Vic

superdemon

imported post

That's what I am saying.

All my items are concealed in a camera case. I, too, look like a soccer dad ready to whip out a camera and take pics of my boy playing soccer.

Additionally, I don't fiddle with the gear in public. I only open the case when I need to use an item.

rpyne

imported post

superdemon wrote:
I have packed the pockets of my 5.11 vest full of gear
I just wear 5.11 pants. lots of pockets and even a special pocket just for a spare mag. Extremely comfortable.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I used to do a lott'a camping... hikin' 'n stuff. Go into most any sporting goods joint or peruse the various catalogs for same 'n the amount of gadgetry is mind boggling. Falling back on my military experience with 782 gear... less is better. There is absolutely NO point in schleppin' a bunch'a junk around withscantuse for it. If you can't eat it, drink it, cut/chop with it or shoot it... you can do without it.

'Mace...' If I have a confrontation... I'm not gonna mace anybody. I carried that crap as a cop 'cause I had to... but 'use it'?It presents the samehazard to the operatoras it does to the perp. Depending upon wind and temprature. In cold weather, it's about useless. We (as civilians) are not in the business to subdue and apprehend. BTDT! All this handcuffs 'n saps 'n whatever else gadgetry literally screams 'wannabe'. Along with that... I rarely carry a cell phone... 'n if I do... it's that flat thing that fits in a shirt pocket. i-Pods, GPS... 'n other gadgetry I have no normal use for. I can read maps and navigate by compass if necessary. I don't need to carry that crap around with me tho... and don't.

'Seems to me, many here have not OC'd for very long. For some I s'pose, it's still a novelty. I sometimes go to gun shows... andI really have to laugh at some of the Rambo 'rigs' with hand cannons I see circling the girth of these pudgy chubsters in shorts 'n sandals. It's ridiculous. If anything... dress to the gun. Some of ya put all this coin into 'gear' and then wander about dressed like you're goin' to the beach. You cannot maneuver in open backed sandals or flip-flops. If you're gonnaarm yourself... consider the rest of it.

I have a real Jones about how many men dress (?)themselves these days anyway. 'Squared Away' they're not.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Seems to me, many here have not OC'd for very long.  For some I s'pose, it's still a novelty.  I sometimes go to gun shows... and I really have to laugh at some of the Rambo 'rigs' with hand cannons I see circling the girth of these pudgy chubsters in shorts 'n sandals. It's ridiculous.  If anything... dress to the gun.  Some of ya put all this coin into 'gear' and then wander about dressed like you're goin' to the beach.  You cannot maneuver in open backed sandals or flip-flops.  If you're gonna arm yourself... consider the rest of it.
lol, you got that right.

rpyne

imported post

As explained to me by a Frontsight instructor, the main reason to carry a spare magazine is that if you get into a struggle almost always the magazine is going to end up on the ground. Do you really want to be hunting for a magazine while a BG is trying to kill you?

reconvic

imported post

One of the classes I went to at Gunsite, sort of put it know where you are going and the risky area's pack an extra mag. If I need to go to South Phx you can bet I will carry 2 mags. Yet if going to Frys for some food , I feel if I cannot settle any threat with 8 shots I might as well carry a hammer.:lol:I feel I am a better shot then that!
S/F Vic

SlackwareRobert

imported post

That is why you wear a good pair of boots, they each hold one mag on inside leg,
gives me 49 shots if I don't have my bug on me. 71 with the backup:cool:
This should allow me to get to the rest of my ammo in a pinch.:what:

Besides the massive weight increase, it is the drop to 16 rounds for
my show carry piece, that makes it strictly for special dress events only.
5 round mags run out quick.

Too this day I still can't run in shoes, I am just so used to the counter
balanced weights. It feels strange to not have them, it messes up my walk.

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

If you are carrying a semi auto and not carrying at least one extra mag you are cheating yourself tacticly. No matter how reliable your firearm, things can and do go wrong. I never count any gun as reliable until it has 1,000 round thru it without any malfuntions, including feed problems! It is not always your gun to malfunction, magazines can have issues also.

That being said, there are many mag pouches which can be attached to your belt (I prefer strong side) and can be worn IWB or outside and covered by a shirt/vest/jacket. Some can be worn visibly as they have a flap that closes over them and they look much like a pocket knife or cell phone holder.

Hope this information helps!

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

Correction, I prefer the mag to be on the off-hand side, firearm on the strong side. This facilitates easier reloads!

kurtmax_0

imported post

I wear propper pants that have a mag pouch.

In the winter I use a shoulder holster so that has space for 2 mags. I can then put my voice recorder in the mag pouch...

JeffinWesternWA

imported post

Geez it's a rare time I carry an extra speed loader, though one is in my car glove box and by my nightstand, in my heavy coat pocket...and often my gal has her snubbie too, that makes 10 rounds:p, I can't imagine though it certainly is your right to have more tahn a full load, but, how much "stuff" is enough, a wallet and keys are my only other carries (usually):lol:

rpyne

imported post

A revolver does not present the same potential problems as a semi. With a revolver you are not likely to drop the magazine (since it doesn't have one) in a struggle or by accident. With a revolver you don't need to drop the magazine (again, it doesn't have one) to clear a jam.

Also, with a revolver, if you are faced with multiple assailants, you have many fewer bullets to use to protect yourself.

.45acp

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
My question is a two-part thought.

First, do you carry extra magazines? What is the capacity of your carry gun?

Personally, I carry a full size XD9, which holds 16+1. I have not been carrying a spare magazine, mostly along the lines of if I need more than 17 rounds, it must be a REALLY bad day. (I am thinking the odds are along the lines of winning the lottery.)

I also haven't really found a comfortable method of carrying a spare magazine. The mag holsters that came with my XD are not really what I want to use for everyday carry. I would prefer something that is easy to put on, hard to be removed, and securely holds the magazine with some form of retention, be it a flap or whatever.

Secondly, if you do carry a spare mag or two, do you do so when you conceal carry?

I currently do not ever conceal carry, but I am considering adding it to my repertoire. There have been certain situations where concealed carry would have been a bit more effective than open carry.

I will most likely purchase the Crossbreed, since I hear many good things about it, and it seems that it would fit my needs.

My quest is how do I carry the spare magazine while conceal carrying?
Hello Phoenixphire,

I generally carry a 1911 (sometimes 5" sometimes 4") 8 round mags with one in the spout give 9 rounds asap. Most of the time I carry 1 spare mag and depending upon the local 2. I Use a Rosen holster and single or double mag carrier. Galaco offers a similar setup at a reasonable cost. IMO, don't go for the clip on gear, holster and mag carrier should thread through a substantial belt that is capable of supporting gun and mag carrier, vertical stiffness in the key here.

I personally would not worry about pepper spray, batons and the like, by the time the BG gets close enough to use all that he will be within knife, boot and fist distance, you may well find yourself fighting for control of your pistol by that time.

I absolutely agree with Sonora Rebel, ya got to wear solid footwear, lace up boots are my preference, unless the uniform of the day is dress clothes or a suit. Checkout the banditos, they aren’t wearing flip-flops.

Of course this is just my opinion, and it has worked for me for a number of years.

Good luck,

Steve

Steve