• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private firearm registration????

Riana

imported post

Not something I would sign up for. I can do this with the bank - I have a free safe deposit box there, and can record all the S/Ns and information on paper or media and store it there. Or better yet - mail a copy to a family member elsewhere. Or do both.

VAopencarry

imported post

That's insane!!!! It is a private firearm database that can be accessed by anyone that joins, they are anti gun also.

Through its "Get the Guns Off the Streets" campaign, FIREARMSFAX is bridging the gap between Law and Order.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've thought about writing a web app that would simply let you track your firearms online for insurance purposes, but figured no one would use it due to privacy concerns.

It would be possible to encrypt the data so that only you had access to your info, but even that would probably not quell the fears of the info getting into the wrong hands.

I've written an app that I use to track my own firearms, but it's a desktop app, not a web app, and is nowhere near polished enough for publishing.

Excel or Access will work fine for most folks anyway.

The site linked above is something I'd avoid, and I question the accuracy of the "stolen this year" figure. I wouldn't put it past someone with an anti-gun agenda to fabricate an entire site just to collect this info.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
<snip> Excel or Access will work fine for most folks anyway.

The site linked above is something I'd avoid, and I question the accuracy of the "stolen this year" figure. I wouldn't put it past someone with an anti-gun agenda to fabricate an entire site just to collect this info.
+1

Carnivore

imported post

I'll take my own notes concerning persolal info, and my guns are my personal info! Ya never know, Insurance companies may very well beallowing this info for the Govt. access anyway. one might want to double check your homeowners policy..

Chaingun81

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
I've thought about writing a web app that would simply let you track your firearms online for insurance purposes, but figured no one would use it due to privacy concerns.

It would be possible to encrypt the data so that only you had access to your info, but even that would probably not quell the fears of the info getting into the wrong hands.

I've written an app that I use to track my own firearms, but it's a desktop app, not a web app, and is nowhere near polished enough for publishing.

Excel or Access will work fine for most folks anyway.

I recommend creating a simple Exceltable with make, model, caliber, date of purchaseand s/n of every firearm plus takingphotos of each gun (maybe 1-2 general view + 1 of the s/n plate) and keepthemsafe for insurance/police report purposes in case any are stolen or lost. Either record iton a CD or memory card and kept in a bank deposit box or even email it to yourself to a web-based email account and keep it there - whichever feels more secure. Anyone can do it. This site has some hidden agenda behind it.

hp-hobo

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
...your thoughts?
I looked at the site, and now I feel dirty.

I wouldn't trust them with any info that I wanted to keep private. All of my serial numbers with pics are stored in an anonymous free e-mail in case my real files (paper and computer) are destroyed.

jegoodin

imported post

How could this possibly be a good thing??? So now a court can issue an order for them to turn over all their records? I have a better idea. Get a piece of paper and write down all your gun info and put it in a safe place on your own.

I really hope no one does this.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Although I would never let this company or any individual know what type and orhow many firearms I own, or where they are kept.I can see their thoughts on offering and charging forthis service. (something just seems shady about it to me:?)

Some people are stupid enough to actually do this, and the companywill make a quick couple of dollars using the general public's naivety.

Same thing with that identity theft stopping business that offers up to $1M in coverage. Everything they offer for a fee can be done simply andfor free by locking access to outside inquiries into your credit fileskept by the3 major reporters.

Alright, now this is the part of our lesson that requires us all to wear our tinfoil hats;
I am sure someone will suggest that maybe this firearmfax company may be either part of the anti-gun government having people volunteer their ownership information and happily pay them to do it so the guns can be more easily collected during a gun-grab at a later date. Or it may be alleged that it could be a smart bunch of criminals collecting information on which homes would be best to steal firearms from. It may be some also be some morphing of a Nigerian 419 scam too where people happily pay to safeguard against firearm theft, but no claims are paid or any tracking info offered after theft.

When a firearm is pawned, I believe the pawn shop must get photo ID and report any firearms taken in to verify thet are not stolen already? Can anyone verify?

Infidel

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
That's insane!!!! It is a private firearm database that can be accessed by anyone that joins, they are anti gun also.

Through its "Get the Guns Off the Streets" campaign, FIREARMSFAX is bridging the gap between Law and Order.

VA,

I agree, I cought the same line and was about to post it. All that is, is a trick to get information.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Although I would never let this company or any individual know what type and orhow many firearms I own, or where they are kept.I can see their thoughts on offering and charging forthis service. (something just seems shady about it to me:?)

Some people are stupid enough to actually do this, and the companywill make a quick couple of dollars using the general public's naivety.

Same thing with that identity theft stopping business that offers up to $1M in coverage. Everything they offer for a fee can be done simply andfor free by locking access to outside inquiries into your credit fileskept by the3 major reporters.

Alright, now this is the part of our lesson that requires us all to wear our tinfoil hats;
I am sure someone will suggest that maybe this firearmfax company may be either part of the anti-gun government having people volunteer their ownership information and happily pay them to do it so the guns can be more easily collected during a gun-grab at a later date. Or it may be alleged that it could be a smart bunch of criminals collecting information on which homes would be best to steal firearms from. It may be some also be some morphing of a Nigerian 419 scam too where people happily pay to safeguard against firearm theft, but no claims are paid or any tracking info offered after theft.

When a firearm is pawned, I believe the pawn shop must get photo ID and report any firearms taken in to verify thet are not stolen already? Can anyone verify?
Here in Virginia, pawnbrokers MUST verify who it is exactly who is pawning a firearm, and MUST record the serial number. Most jurisdictions have a "pawnshop squad" of one or more detectives who (among other things) check for stolen ANYTHING since dopey criminals often try to fence "hot stuff" thru legit channels Not only that, but when a person redeems a pawned firearm that person MUST pass the "Brady Check" all over again. I myself have pawned a weapon or two (the interest is cheaper than busting open a CD early and there are fewer nosey questions than with a loan) and these strictures are tightly enforced, but no more invasive than was the original Brady Check.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
By the way I just took the time to check the site out. It is a false-flag operation fer sure, do not be fooled and don't register with them even out of curiosity.

How exactly did you check them out and how do you know it to be a "false flag" operation?

I took a good look at the site and already decided not to play, but I'm curious what you were able to find out about them...

Statesman

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
How could this possibly be a good thing??? So now a court can issue an order for them to turn over all their records? I have a better idea. Get a piece of paper and write down all your gun info and put it in a safe place on your own.

I really hope no one does this.
I'm sure ATF will manage to seize their entire database, and merge it with theirs, just so they can investigate one possible crime named in the court order. All with the best of intentions, of course.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I just read the various articles and snippets in the gun essays section, and if these folks are not a bunch of antis, then skunks shoot Chanel #5 out their butts. Also if they are so concerned then why don't they offer an online registry of ALL your valuables?? Clueless at best, malevolent at worst.

Alexcabbie

imported post

BTW they have a "gun discussion forum" that is amazingly devoid of the kind of disagreement and molery-trollery we have here. PLUS there is a thread called "Babes with guns" that is just a - ahem - hair short of Penthouse. You know, the kind of thing that a Bradyite might think that a knuckle-dragging sexist "extreme right wing" gun owner would like, but sez me it looks like another way to get your name on their list.

There is a diagram showing the flow of info into their database that includes LE.

Look at the babes but sez me DON'T register for the forum or anything else.