• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Argus Press: Getting the word out [re open carry]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.argus-press.com/articles/2009/06/16/news/news5.txt

News
Getting the word out

By MICHAEL PETERSON Argus-Press Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:40 AM EDT

Argus-Press Photo by Anthony Cepak Members of the group Michigan Open Carry, Inc. gather at Collamer Park in Owosso for a picnic Sunday to generate awareness in the community about Michigan concealed weapons laws and the Second Amendment.
OWOSSO - It may not be a well-known fact, but it is legal to openly carry a handgun in Michigan - and members of a newly-formed organization are hoping to get the word out.

Michigan Open Carry, Inc. held a picnic at noon Sunday in Collamer Park, during which members offered not only food, but information regarding their organization and the state's firearm laws.

“We just want to get the word out about open carry and that it is legal,” MOP President Brian Jeffs, of Bath, said. “For us, open carry is like a ‘Beware of Dog' sign in our front yard. It shows that we are a hard target.”

He explained while it is legal to openly carry, there are still some restrictions. For one, the gun needs to be in a pouch if it is not going to be concealed. Also, not having a concealed-pistol license can restrict the type of areas a person can go while brandishing a firearm - such as a bank, court, theater, hospital, church or any establishment that sells liquor.

While the nonprofit group was officially formed in April, the first seeds were planted when Jeffs and others began frequenting www.opencarry.org, an Internet forum created by Virginia gun-rights activitists to educate people on Second Amendment rights.

So when he and a handful of others created the group, they wanted to help spread the word on a state level. However, they also wanted the activism to be non-confrontational - hence, the picnics.

Sunday's picnic was no different than any other typical picnic - excluding the fact that many attending had firearms attached to their hips. There were fishing and hot dogs, and open carry information was available to anyone who wanted it.

“People come, get information and go. Or they will have something to eat and talk a little bit with us to see that we are not all crazies,” Jeffs said.

Secretary Christina Florence of Frankenmuth said the key to understanding open carrying is to educate people about it. And she should know - she used to hate the idea of guns.

“I never grew up with guns, so it was a scary thing at first,” Florence said. “And also having a daughter around made it a little more intimidating. But now that I am more educated about it, I have no problem with it.”

Another roadblock for the group has been the realization some municipalities have laws in direct violation of open carry.

“The state has ruled that local municipalities cannot enforce gun-control laws that are more restrictive than the state's,” Jeffs said. “A lot of municipalities have these laws in their books, but they are not enforceable.”

Because of this, MOP has been contacting those cities to make them aware of the violations.

Owosso resident Nathan Spencer said it was curiosity that brought him out to the picnic, but added he already knew Michigan's open carry laws.

“I've been carrying a gun for 60 years - concealed and open,” Spencer said.

He added he thought what the group was doing was a good thing, because he has seen a noticeable change in attitudes toward firearms in recent years.

“A lot of people are afraid if they carry in public that the cops are going to harass or bother them,” he said.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Also, not having a concealed-pistol license can restrict the type of areas a person can go while brandishing a firearm - such as a bank, court, theater, hospital, church or any establishment that sells liquor.

Brandishing?
What is it with the media referring to having a holstered firearm as brandishing?

Other than the author using the word "Brandishing" instead of holstered, and saying the gun needs to be kept in a "Pouch" to not be considered illegally concealed, A decent article IMO.

NightOwl

imported post

I would love to see the Argus Press-Tribune print a correction for that article (you all know what I'm referring to).

However, otherwise it was pretty decent press, and that was nice.