• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Credit Union/Bank Carry

amigaman

imported post

Okay, I got a question for everyone here... Is there any laws, either in WV Code or in Federal Code that prohibits the carry of a Firearm into a Bank or a Federal Credit Union?

I normally carry concealed everywhere I go but the other day I was open carrying (we were all going to the outdoor range for some family fun) when we stopped at the WVU Employee's Credit Union here in Morgantown. Almost all of the time I just breeze through the drive through and all is fine but the wife wanted to do some money transfers and that required someone to actually go in. Well, I hesitated as I was OC at the time and the wife was puzzled as to why I hesitated. I told here that I didn't feel comfortable going in there since I don't know them well and I am glad I didn't as I probably would have had to deal with the law shortly after that, I'll explain why further on. So the wife said why not call them on the cell and talk to them about it and I told her that since she is going in that she may as well ask. The teller was asked and she told the wife that the carry of a gun into a Credit Union was against FEDERAL LAW!!! That they were considered a "Federal Building" and went on and on on why it WONT happen there. Btw, there are *NO* signs on the building as of yesterday. I hope that this situation doesn't curse that :p

So now, I am wanting to line my ducks up before I actually "call" the Branch Manager and discuss this issue. If there is an actual law that prohibits and this girl was right, I don't think she is but I am no expert, I will back off. If she is wrong, then some education from her boss may be in order. I would also love to here some suggestions on how this should be approached and once I get all of this... I will make the move. Thanks in advance and see y'all around.

Scott

Shallnotbeinfringed

imported post

The only section of the WV Code I could find which details prohibited places is §61-7-11a. There may be others but §61-7-11a details the ones I am familiar with. If there are other restrictions elsewhere in the code I'm not aware of them. Essentially it says deadly weapons are prohibited on educationial facilities (including school buses), court facilities and offices of family law master. It doesn't say anything about the unsecured sections of airports, jails, police stations, sherriffs offices, state trooper barracks, bars, gambling faclities, nightclubs, banks or credit unions.

§61-7-11a. Possessing deadly weapons on premises of educational facilities; reports by school principals; suspension of driver license; possessing deadly weapons on premises housing courts of law and in offices of family law master.

I couldn't find the specific part of the U.S. Code that details with prohibited places, but I DID find the part which deals with what is a federal facility.

Federal Building defined in U.S. Code Title 18, Part 1 Chapter 44:

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

I would wager that the employees who work in the WVU Employee Credit Union receive their paychecks from the credit union, not the U.S. Treasury. Which would indicate, to me, that they are not employed by the federal government. Therefore the place they work is not a place "where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

The question you might want to ask the branch manager is if the facility, or any part of the facility, is owned or leased by the federal government. And if the credit union is a place where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

So, to answer your question to the best of my knowledge. Credit Unions are not prohibited places according to WV code. It also would appear that Credit Unions are not prohibited places according to federal code as long as the building, whole or in part, is leased or owned by the federal government.

mcfly682

imported post

Ive often wondered this same question. One thing i do know for sure is that even the Federal Reserve Bank is an independent organization. Ive carried into several banks around Morgantown and have not had anyone say a thing. I would like a definitive answer from someone in the know.

On a side note, the Hunnington bank in Morgantown was held up just the other day. Nobody was hurt, but the robber did use a gun.

amigaman

imported post

mcfly682 wrote:
Ive often wondered this same question. One thing i do know for sure is that even the Federal Reserve Bank is an independent organization. Ive carried into several banks around Morgantown and have not had anyone say a thing. I would like a definitive answer from someone in the know.

On a side note, the Hunnington bank in Morgantown was held up just the other day. Nobody was hurt, but the robber did use a gun.
I am so sorry to have not gotten back on this subject sooner with y'all but I did have a *very* nice chat with the Branch Manager at the WVUCU. In our talk I was left with the impression that this teller was new and I was told that things have been cleared up with her (the teller). Apparently the teller discussed this situation with the Branch Manager after talking to my wife and the teller was corrected on the policy immediately. The WVU Employee's Credit Union is *NOT* a Federal or a State building, this was told to the teller and then to me, that open or concealed carry of a firearm is perfectly legal in that institution and that there is no policy that forbids anyone from carrying an open or concealed firearm. In addition, I was told that firearms have been carried frequently into the building for a very long time and it has *never* been an issue for them before. I, of course, thanked her for helping out and I am so pleased it came out the way it did. So, once the wife gets her paychecks fully moved over there, we'll be closing our other account at a different bank (it's just too confusing to maintain two separate banks anymore) and I will be able to carry confidently again, whether concealed or now openly from now on. Btw, my soon to be old bank never batted an eye either way but this case made me take a step back for a bit and question carry in any financial institution. So let's all celebrate because I am, Hallelujah! Oh, and I get the impression we won't see them banning carry in any way in the future as well!

:monkeyScott
:monkey

turbodog

imported post

countryboy wrote:
so what you are saying is "it's legal to carry in a bank or cu"?;)
Check your state laws, but yep, that's what he's sayin.

I think it's legal in most states mainly because they haven't made up a law against it.;)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

turbodog wrote:
countryboy wrote:
so what you are saying is "it's legal to carry in a bank or cu"?;)
Check your state laws, but yep, that's what he's sayin.

I think it's legal in most states mainly because they haven't made up a law against it.;)
Wisconsin reporting here, Thursday, I asked my bankif there was a bank policy against OC, the Branch asst manager said, she didn't think so, then I asked her if she would be ok with me open carrying in the bank, she said, I would have no problems with you OC in the bank. I am theretwice a week depositing money from my business. To my knowledge there is NO federal law against it.

bcr229

imported post

AFAIK while there is no law against carrying a firearm into a bank, some banks in my area are posted "No Guns". In fact, my husband and I switched our personal and business accountsfrom First United to Susquehanna because FU posted a sign.

We also found out the bank manager at Susquehanna has a concealed carry permit, and that quite a few folks left FU and went across the street to her bank for the same reason we did.

When FU asked why we were closing the accounts, we let them know that as a customfirearm manufacturerwe didn't think it appropriate to patronize a business that discriminated against us.

Dreamer

imported post

Actually that teller was wrong in the case of ALL Credit unions. Even the Navy Federal Credit Union and the Engravers and Printers Federal Credit Union (both of which require it's members be either federal employees, military, or recognized Federal Contractors) are PRIVATELY owned and operated corporations, and are therefore NOT covered under the "Federal" prohibition on carry.

Unless, of course, the office is actually IN a federal building.

The E&PFCU branch I used to bank with in the 1980's in Washington DC was in the EPA headquarters. Plus it was in Washington DC, so needless to say I never carried there...

Of course, since banks are private property, they CAN post a "no firearms" sign, which you must obey.

However, even these signs DO NOT apply to drive-throughs, unless the parking lot is posted at it's entrances. If just the DOORS of the building are posted, then you CAN carry in a drive-through.