Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Lefty and Righty Sharing Handgun

Post imported post

Looking for help selecting a handgun that would be a good choice if it will be shared by a lefty (me), and a righty (my son).

Thoughts?

Regular Member desert-prospector's Avatar
    (City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA

Post imported post

My recommendation would be the Stoeger Cougar

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger_cougar.php

I like mine just fine. Has ambidextrous safety, comes in .40 or 9mm.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

kwiebe wrote:
    Looking for help selecting a handgun that would be a good choice if it will be shared by a lefty (me), and a righty (my son).

Thoughts?
    Really depends on what you want to pay.

HK USPs have ambi controls including a nice ambi mag catch

1911's have ambi controls for the most part and aftermarket ones can be added for those that don't

I'll have to go home and look at my Beretta 96, I think it has them but I'm not sure about ambi mag catch capabilities.

The three I mentioned are all good guns but prices vary widely. The USP's are at least $750 new last time I checked. The 1911's can be had for about $500 with ambi controls. The beretta can probably be found a little cheaper.

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Activist Member

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    kwiebe wrote:

Thoughts?

I'll have to go home and look at my Beretta 96, I think it has them but I'm not sure about ambi mag catch capabilities.

Slide catch and brass ejection is right handed though I believe.
    On the Beretta 92/96 its really easy to reverse the magazine release button. You just take it out and put it in the other way!

Post imported post

Taurus PT-1911

Post imported post

S&W 642 in .38 special with crimson laser grips

I have this as my bug, and the major consideration in selection was that it was shootable from either hand.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Revolver choices can be easy, as stated above. If you get a semi auto get one that has ambidextrous safety and mag releases.

Post imported post

Springfield XD has an ambi mag release and no manual safety to worry about.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Any wheel gun will fill this bill and the only safety is the one on your shoulders.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

My C&R CZ vz-82 has ambidextrous controls. both safety and mag release.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    My C&R CZ vz-82 has ambidextrous controls. both safety and mag release.
    I've got a CZ82 myself. I never put the safety on, since it can't be put on safety unless the gun is cocked.

When it isn't cocked, there is a hammer block that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin, that is activated by the trigger. It's as simple todraw and fireas aDA revolver, butcarries more rounds and the only "longpull" is the first round.

Post imported post

why would a liberal want to share a gun with a conservative?

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Try a 1911. My carry piece is a Kimber Tactical Custom II and it has the ambi safety. I'm a righty but I've shot it left handed before and it's not bad. Both the slide release and mag release are on the left side of the gun but are easily manipulated with the left hand.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    Springfield XD has an ambi mag release and no manual safety to worry about.
    +1
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
    why would a liberal want to share a gun with a conservative?

Post imported post

Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

I'm left handed, but shoot "right handed" pistols (mostly SIGs) just fine. Revolvers are another matter. I stay away from revolvers as a lefty as I need to change hands to reload. Might be inconvenient in a stressful moment.

Analyzing the controls for a moment, SIG's have no manual safety, so no lefty/righty issue there.

Slide release is irrelevant as I grab the back of the slide and let it fly forward and ignore the slide release lever, so no lefty/righty issue there, either.

Magazine release is on the left side. If shooting two handed, I can just use the index or middle finger of the non-shooting hand to hit the slide release, or the trigger or middle finger of the shooting hand.

I actually prefer "right handed" pistols. When an injury forced me to shoot right-handed for several months, I found that my trigger finger got in the way of the Crimson Trace laser more often than not.

With the exception of revolvers, where the cylinder opening out to the left could be a real issue, you might find the "right handed gun" thing to be fairly small.

Post imported post

The Ruger SR9 has ambidextrous mag release and safety. It also has an adjustable backstrap on the grip. I think it's a good bang for the buck semi-auto 9mm. There have been some teething issues with the earlier production runs, but I'm very happy with mine.

Post imported post

you can use a normal Glock left handed. It's actually easier.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    you can use a normal Glock left handed. It's actually easier.
    Why is that & easier than what?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

price range? caliber? would suggest a 1911 w an abi safety. another good one is the s&w mp, the magazine release can be easily changed from left to right hand shooters. Not very time consuming but not very practical if you guys are going out to shoot and are continuiously handing the gun back and forth. Ide say at the very least look for an abi safety that way both of u can use the gun w little to no hassle.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I really loved my Desert Eagle due to its full Ambi everything, But carrying it was almost impossible with toting it in a wheelbarrow due to it's heft!

I did not like the CZ's or the EAA's thati triedbecuase they were difficult for me (Southpaw shooter, but righty for everything else) to operate safeties and mag releases. Glock may have worked, but I could not find a comfortable grip or aim on the ones I fired. But they have lots of add-ons to make them special for you.

I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands. The trigger/grip safety makes firing it quicka non-issue. Nothing to fiddle with, point and shoot just like a glock but with an added grip safety that is barely noticable.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands.
    Huh? No... the XD(M) is ambidextrous. Are you referring the ammo ejecting to the right side which will be no different on any other handgun?

The grip and magazine release is ambidextrous, which is all you should need.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands.
    Huh? No... the XD(M) is ambidextrous. Are you referring the ammo ejecting to the right side which will be no different on any other handgun?

The grip and magazine release is ambidextrous, which is all you should need.
    Maybe you could show me the ambidextrous slide lock on my Xd-m then? becuase I am not seeing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast