• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendation for Lefty and Righty Sharing Handgun

gb8106

imported post

price range? caliber? would suggest a 1911 w an abi safety. another good one is the s&w mp, the magazine release can be easily changed from left to right hand shooters. Not very time consuming but not very practical if you guys are going out to shoot and are continuiously handing the gun back and forth. Ide say at the very least look for an abi safety that way both of u can use the gun w little to no hassle.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I really loved my Desert Eagle due to its full Ambi everything, But carrying it was almost impossible with toting it in a wheelbarrow due to it's heft!

I did not like the CZ's or the EAA's thati triedbecuase they were difficult for me (Southpaw shooter, but righty for everything else) to operate safeties and mag releases. Glock may have worked, but I could not find a comfortable grip or aim on the ones I fired. But they have lots of add-ons to make them special for you.

I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands. The trigger/grip safety makes firing it quicka non-issue. Nothing to fiddle with, point and shoot just like a glock but with an added grip safety that is barely noticable.

david.ross

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands.
Huh? No... the XD(M) is ambidextrous. Are you referring the ammo ejecting to the right side which will be no different on any other handgun?

The grip and magazine release is ambidextrous, which is all you should need.

Nutczak

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
I chose the Springield XD-m, it is designed for a righty, but everything I need to operate is very easy for me to reach without changing hands.
Huh? No... the XD(M) is ambidextrous. Are you referring the ammo ejecting to the right side which will be no different on any other handgun?

The grip and magazine release is ambidextrous, which is all you should need.
Maybe you could show me the ambidextrous slide lock on my Xd-m then? becuase I am not seeing it.

david.ross

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Maybe you could show me the ambidextrous slide lock on my Xd-m then? becuase I am not seeing it.

The slide lock does NOT relevant when using the gun. The slide lock practical use for be for locking the firearm open when not in use or cleaning.

Why would you even need a ambidextrous slide lock?

Nutczak

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

The slide lock does NOT relevant when using the gun. The slide lock practical use for be for locking the firearm open when not in use or cleaning.

Why would you even need a ambidextrous slide lock?
Becuase it is alot easier to operate the release with a thumb, as designed on RH pistols, than it is to switch hands or reach across with a 2nd handto unlock the slide so it can slide orward into batteryduring a quick magazine change.

I relaesethe slide on mineby grabbing it and ginving it a rearward yank and letting it fly forward after inserting a new mag, but it sure would be nice If I could just hit it with my thumb to chamber a round from a new mag like righty's can do.

curtm1911

imported post

I am also a lefty and I usually slingshot my slide from slidelock, but if I am one handing, I use my trigger finger to trip the slidelock lever. It's Safely off the trigger, it might as well have something to do out there.....:D:celebrate

With revolvers, you hang the firearm from your support handthumb right at thepoint where the barrel and frame join,grips down, eject empties with same hand, rotate the barrel towards the ground while getting reloader in strong hand, load letting gravity assist you, close cylinder, regrip, enjoy. repeat as often as desired.........Good practice ya know.......

david.ross

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Becuase it is alot easier to operate the release with a thumb, as designed on RH pistols, than it is to switch hands or reach across with a 2nd handto unlock the slide so it can slide orward into batteryduring a quick magazine change.

I relaesethe slide on mineby grabbing it and ginving it a rearward yank and letting it fly forward after inserting a new mag, but it sure would be nice If I could just hit it with my thumb to chamber a round from a new mag like righty's can do.
Would you please tell me which tactical firearms course tells you to chamber a round with the slide release so we can all shun and not go to the specific place?

The proper way to chamber a round is to make a U with your hand, place over the end of the pistol which is more towards you, and run the gun.

When I say run the gun, place the gun towards your body as if you're doing a shot from the chest, once there, place hand like described above, then push your strong hand forward hard to run the gun.

Above is what many teach, if not all, on how to properly chamber a round. You shouldn't be doing it any other way unless you're injured/one handed. As I said before, you don't need an ambidextrous slide release.

Nutczak

imported post

You make a very important statement, What about if a lefty has an injured hand, or it is currently involved with something else?

Although the XD-m is marketed as an Ambidiextrious pistol, it is still not possible for a lefty such as myself to use the same controls a right handed person uses without some weird contortion of fingers.
Another one of the reasons I chose the XD-m, is the deep serrations on the slide so I can release it by catching it on my pants to chamber a new round after a mag change without needing to switch hands, or use 2 hands. Using a firearm for a adreniline filled defensive purpose as compared to punching holes in paper are different enough where the placement of a slide release is important to me and I wish I had that option on my XD-m

The slide release is positioned to by within reach of a right-handed persons thumb, so it can slide into battery while only using one hand. It ure would be nice to have that release on the other side too, Or the ability to swap the sides it could be activated from.

You ever shoot a left handed rifle right-handed. You'll understand my complaints fairly soon when you do. Especially on a semi-auto

remingtondude58

imported post

I am a left handed as well. I have very few problems operating most guns. I like the charter and ruger revolvers, better then the smiths, as it is easier to hit the cylinder release with my left index finger, then the left hand grabs the reload, as the right swings out the cylinder and ejects the empties. The M&P is a very ambi gun, but you should be good with a Glock as well. I really like the Beretta 84 cheetah to, but you may not want the 380 cal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Why has no one mentioned a top break reproduction revolver?

A top break knows no hand and black powder is such fun to shoot.

Yata hey

Elkad

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
What about if a lefty has an injured hand, or it is currently involved with something else? ....

Injured/busy offhand is why you add slide serrations just in front of the rear sight (on top). You can just put a scrap of skateboard grip tape there if you don't want a permanent modification to the slide. You can work the slide by pressing the top of the gun against your thigh, belt, other forearm, or just about anything else. Catching the rear sight (of an unmodified pistol) against your belt is another idea, but that's mighty hard to do while you run.

Disclaimer:Yes, you sweep yourself this way and will freak out square-range types.

elenaidan

imported post

When shooting with lefty friends they love the H&K P7 series. We can trade P7's easily between righties and lefties without any trouble. Not to mention they are darn accurate.

wally1120

imported post

I have sayed many times over, I love my Glock 17, and my XD Compact 45. But neither one of them have Ambidextrous Slide Locks, But I am not worried about that I dont use that to let the slide go foward anyway. But if someone is looking for a true left handed Gun, Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P. They have a Reversable Magazine Relese, Has Ambidextrous Safety (if you choose to have a safety on yours), Ambidextrous Slide Lock for the ones that let there slide go foward with the Slide Lock. Interchangable Backstraps,

So if you are hard pressed for a Firearm that has a Ambidextrous slide lock, I recommend the M&P. There are very few that have a Ambidextrous Slide Lock, But I whould have to say the M&P is the best one of them all to get.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I have sayed many times over, I love my Glock 17, and my XD Compact 45. But neither one of them have Ambidextrous Slide Locks, But I am not worried about that I dont use that to let the slide go foward anyway. But if someone is looking for a true left handed Gun, Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P. They have a Reversable Magazine Relese, Has Ambidextrous Safety (if you choose to have a safety on yours), Ambidextrous Slide Lock for the ones that let there slide go foward with the Slide Lock. Interchangable Backstraps,

So if you are hard pressed for a Firearm that has a Ambidextrous slide lock, I recommend the M&P. There are very few that have a Ambidextrous Slide Lock, But I whould have to say the M&P is the best one of them all to get.
A true ambidextrous gun does not require any changes to its configuration - no disassembly or reversal of parts - can be handed back and forth between shooters.

Some guns are adaptable for either left or right handed shooters, some guns have ambi safeties but not ambi slide locks - the are IMHO, not true ambi guns.

True or fully ambidextrous guns are few.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
You could always get a Bersa Thunder in any Caliber you please. And I believe they are Fully ambidextrous.
<shudders>

Yata hey