• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapons permit holder stops would-be robbers

scorpioajr

imported post

I posted this over at UCC, http://utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5774&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ,but thought ya'll would get a kick out of this also:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=6851011

Concealed weapons permit holder stops would-be robbers June 17th, 2009 @ 1:26pm MIDVALE -
- A man with a concealed weapons permit stopped two would-be Midvale robbers from making off with his friend's stuff. Police say the men were coming home from an errand around 7:00 this morning when they spotted the suspects with their things. The suspects took off on foot. One of the men being robbed grabbed a gun from his truck and started after them.

Midvale Police Detective Sgt. John Salazar said, "Grabs a loaded 40 caliber handgun and chases with the gun, shooting rounds either into the air or into the ground as they were chasing." The gunfire stopped the suspects dead in their tracks. The men held the robbers at gunpoint until police arrived and arrested them.

No one was hurt.

Wow. I thought we were only allowed to intervene in a Violent Felony. i ALSO wasn't aware that we could discharge our weapons within city limits without being in fear of Death/Serious injury. Shooting to defending/recover property? Wow. I'm not upset or anything, I just didn't know I/we was allowed to do that.
I figure this was OC appropriate, seeing as how it sounds like they were "Openly Running" with their guns in the open. lolz. Wow..

LovesHisXD45

imported post

You have a good point there. It would be interesting to see what the aftermath of this situation yields on a legal stand point. I'll bet there is an eager anti-gun prosecutor chomping at the bit to go after the permit holder for the exact reasons you stated. If the suspects were running away unarmed, then it would have made better sense to just chase them and tackle them to the ground and detain them that way until police arrived. I can't believe I'm saying this either, but I think the permit holder went too far on this one. He is going to probably be in some deep shee. Maybe we should carry an extra magizine with blanks in it if just hearing a discharge can stop unarmed bad guys in their tracks. :) lol I don't think they would prosecute if it was just blanks.

Kevin

b1ack5mith

imported post

wow i didnt know we could do that........ ok if the bad guys have baseball bats or knives or chains... i would probably shoot into the air, because they would have deadly weapons with them. but unarmed bad guys? hey, it stopped them. bravo to them for actually getting the bad guys to stop!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd be happy if the press would use correct terminology.

There is a difference between a robbery and a burglary.

mqondo

imported post

I hope they didn't shoot into the air. Who knows where that bullet would go, or who it might hit. I don't think I'd take a warning shot in this situation. I would do my best to chase them down. If they pulled a weapon, then mine would be right there to assist.

MudPounder

Banned
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
You have a good point there. It would be interesting to see what the aftermath of this situation yields on a legal stand point. I'll bet there is an eager anti-gun prosecutor chomping at the bit to go after the permit holder for the exact reasons you stated. If the suspects were running away unarmed, then it would have made better sense to just chase them and tackle them to the ground and detain them that way until police arrived. I can't believe I'm saying this either, but I think the permit holder went too far on this one. He is going to probably be in some deep shee. Maybe we should carry an extra magizine with blanks in it if just hearing a discharge can stop unarmed bad guys in their tracks. :) lol I don't think they would prosecute if it was just blanks.

Kevin

I dont think it has much to do with being "Anti anything". Its more about the risk posed to the public in general considered against the type of crime. I bet if an innocent was hurt there would be severe consequences.

Sometimes being a rouge vigilante does have its drawbacks.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

pussypounder wrote:
I dont think it has much to do with being "Anti anything". Its more about the risk posed to the public in general considered against the type of crime. I bet if an innocent was hurt there would be severe consequences.

Sometimes being a rouge vigilante does have its drawbacks.
Agreed. "Warning shots" are a pretty dumb $hitthing to do.

bigtoe

imported post

I pray that is a minimal problem. Behavior like that could result in very conservative gun laws. That would hurt us all.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe wrote:
I pray that is a minimal problem. Behavior like that could result in very conservative gun laws. That would hurt us all.

We already have laws criminalizing discharge at the City, and State level. So this guy likely broke two or more laws.

I don't think you need to worry about Utah Legislators using this kind of news to push more gun control upon us.

If anything, it will convince them to ease up our lawseven more until these scumbagburglars realize that they'll be shot if the rob somebody! :D