• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained in Home Depot

CaptainDan

imported post

Afternoon Fellas,

Been gone a while, as I have mentioned I work offshore and have had precious few days at home in the past month or so also my oldest Daughter just had her first child so , any way , good to be back and here goes.

My wife and I were at Home Depot shopping Sunday when this female officer in fulluniform approached me and asked for my papers. Papers? I informed her there are no such papers required in La. she said I was wrong. Then I told her La was an open carry stateto which she replied Jefferson Parish is not. I then informed her no parish or county could over rule state law, to which she also informed me i was wrong.Then she asked me how she was to know the firearm was not stolen . My reply was "because just like the shoes on my feet, it is mine" I offered my ID as well as my side arm for inspection, she declined.

Then she asked me what my qualifications for carrying a side arm were and what kind of training I had, I was going to ask her if Advanced Infantry in the United States Marine Corps would suffice but at that point I just blew her off, turned my back on her, and left.

She also informed me as I was leaving that some one could easily take my sidearm and use it against me. It literally took ALL I HAD not to turn and say "Lady YOUR side arm would be much easier to snatch than mine" but I just kept quiet and left. When I got home I phoned Louisiana Carry who assured me I was legal (Thanks again La carry . You realy know your stuff and dont mind sharing your knowladge, a true brother)

I printed all appcicable laws (again thanks to La.Carry) And PROMPTLY returned to home depot(strapped of course) To educate ,politely , New Orleans's finest female officer. She was not there but a fellow officer recieved the papers , promised he would give them to her and believe it or not assured me he would inform his co-worker I was indeed correct, he then shook my hand , said thanks and smiled. YEA BLEW MY MIND TOO!!

Gotta tell ya fellas, I used to Despise All New Orleans PO-PO but I carry LITERALLY ALL OVER NEW ORLEANS and this is the first and only negative encounter I Have ever had.

After probably hundreds of face to faces in wal mart, winn dixie and every other store in N.O. The police just look at my gun first then nod and go about their buisness. Really hard to dislike any one who treats you with respect .

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good to hear from you again!

Believe it or not, there's actually a possibility that the letter I sent to Supt. Reilly awhile back has made its way to the District Commanders (the letter contained the various laws, court opinions and AG's opinion, probably all of the same stuff in your packet). I was at a NOPAC meeting and the NOPD lieutenant running the meeting indicated his knowledge of the AG's opinion to someone at the meeting. I'd guess you may have bumped into one of the newer cops; and I'd say you handled it well.

Kudos to the 2nd cop BTW if you ever see him again. Which Home Depot was this?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
Afternoon Fellas,

Been gone a while, as I have mentioned I work offshore and have had precious few days at home in the past month or so also my oldest Daughter just had her first child so , any way , good to be back and here goes.

My wife and I were at Home Depot shopping Sunday when this female officer in fulluniform approached me and asked for my papers. Papers? I informed her there are no such papers required in La. she said I was wrong. Then I told her La was an open carry stateto which she replied Jefferson Parish is not. I then informed her no parish or county could over rule state law, to which she also informed me i was wrong.Then she asked me how she was to know the firearm was not stolen . My reply was "because just like the shoes on my feet, it is mine" I offered my ID as well as my side arm for inspection, she declined.

Then she asked me what my qualifications for carrying a side arm were and what kind of training I had, I was going to ask her if Advanced Infantry in the United States Marine Corps would suffice but at that point I just blew her off, turned my back on her, and left.

She also informed me as I was leaving that some one could easily take my sidearm and use it against me. It literally took ALL I HAD not to turn and say "Lady YOUR side arm would be much easier to snatch than mine" but I just kept quiet and left. When I got home I phoned Louisiana Carry who assured me I was legal (Thanks again La carry . You realy know your stuff and dont mind sharing your knowladge, a true brother)

I printed all appcicable laws (again thanks to La.Carry) And PROMPTLY returned to home depot(strapped of course) To educate ,politely , New Orleans's finest female officer. She was not there but a fellow officer recieved the papers , promised he would give them to her and believe it or not assured me he would inform his co-worker I was indeed correct, he then shook my hand , said thanks and smiled. YEA BLEW MY MIND TOO!!

Gotta tell ya fellas, I used to Despise All New Orleans PO-PO but I carry LITERALLY ALL OVER NEW ORLEANS and this is the first and only negative encounter I Have ever had.

After probably hundreds of face to faces in wal mart, winn dixie and every other store in N.O. The police just look at my gun first then nod and go about their buisness. Really hard to dislike any one who treats you with respect .
Wow, this Nazi cop needs to serve many years in jail for these multiple civil rights crimes.

We need some sort of alarm that goes out to OC'ers to inform us when a brother is in trouble so the thin red line can respond immediately and close the line around the offender.

Was this female officer acting under color of state law? If so, she's able to be named in a Sec. 1983 claim.

lsushawn

imported post

you say you were detained. i thought that being detained means you are not able to leave on your own will. it seems she questioned you, didn't disarm you, and let you leave when you were good and ready. if it went down the way you said it did, then she definitly has some things to learn, but no rights were violated in your encounter, simply two people having a conversation. it is good to hear that you didn't make a huge scene like some people around here and actually went back with documentation that supported your claim and i commend you for that, but i do not commend you for emplying that you were detained when you obviously were not.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Guys,

You are both reading too much into Dan's post. Please don't turn another thread into a shouting match. Dan did not say she was anything other than misinformed (and a bit abruptly presumptive, perhaps); nor did he claim a rights violation.

And sometimes "detained" doesn't have the legal meaning we often haggle over; it can simply mean "delayed."

Dan's method of handling this is one that is actually more common among the members of this board than those to which lsushawn objects. Personally, I have a binder in my car with copies of the relevant legal items and offer to share them, when necessary. Sometimes, however, people believe what they want to believe and think that the articles are something ficticious.

derf

imported post

you say you were detained. i thought that being detained means you are not able to leave on your own will. it seems she questioned you, didn't disarm you, and let you leave when you were good and ready. if it went down the way you said it did, then she definitly has some things to learn, but no rights were violated in your encounter, simply two people having a conversation. it is good to hear that you didn't make a huge scene like some people around here and actually went back with documentation that supported your claim and i commend you for that, but i do not commend you for emplying that you were detained when you obviously were not.

Yes.
"Questioned in Home Depot" or "Affirmed in Home Depot" would be a more accurate title.
Good for you in handling the situation like you did. Much of how a LEO reacts is based on a suspect's actions.
You did well.

Wow, this Nazi cop needs to serve many years in jail for these multiple civil rights crimes. We need some sort of alarm that goes out to OC'ers to inform us when a brother is in trouble so the thin red line can respond immediately and close the line around the offender. Was this female officer acting under color of state law? If so, she's able to be named in a Sec. 1983 claim.
Edited to remove personal attack on smokin'.
The cop asked questions. I don't think anyone's civil rights were violated. There will be no free motorcycles in this case. Your extreme rhetoric does not represent the other 99.9% of OCers, like myself, who find it offensive.

derf

imported post

Guys, You are both reading too much into Dan's post. Please don't turn another thread into a shouting match. Dan did not say she was anything other than misinformed (and a bit abruptly presumptive, perhaps); nor did he claim a rights violation. And sometimes "detained" doesn't have the legal meaning we often haggle over; it can simply mean "delayed." Dan's method of handling this is one that is actually more common among the members of this board than those to which lsushawn objects. Personally, I have a binder in my car with copies of the relevant legal items and offer to share them, when necessary. Sometimes, however, people believe what they want to believe and think that the articles are something ficticious.
You're absolutely right. I tend to agree with some things and disagree with others. Discussion and debate are preferred to name calling and tripe.
But, it is hard to keep from laughing at smokin' and his extreme rhetoric.

lsushawn

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Guys,

You are both reading too much into Dan's post. Please don't turn another thread into a shouting match. Dan did not say she was anything other than misinformed (and a bit abruptly presumptive, perhaps); nor did he claim a rights violation.

And sometimes "detained" doesn't have the legal meaning we often haggle over; it can simply mean "delayed."

Dan's method of handling this is one that is actually more common among the members of this board than those to which lsushawn objects. Personally, I have a binder in my car with copies of the relevant legal items and offer to share them, when necessary. Sometimes, however, people believe what they want to believe and think that the articles are something ficticious.
I don't recall shouting or name calling andIDO NOT object to OCing or handling situations in a calm reasonable manner.The only thing I was trying to get across is that the title of his thread will tend to make people (like 357) think that he was not allowed to go about his buisiness if he so chose to. The terminology used was very MEM esque. I commended him for handling the situation like he did, it was handled the way all encounters such as this should be handled.

derf

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
derf wrote:
it is hard to keep from laughing at smokin' and his extreme rhetoric.
It's a sick sad gun owner who thinks free and unfettered OC is "extreme."

Do you know that you're a fascist?
Ok, sorry, I edited mine while you were typing yours.
I had a post deleted because it was a personal attack.

I didn't say free and unfetterd OC was extreme. I said your rhetoric was extreme. It is. You are.
I think you calling me a fascist is extremely funny.
Your personal attacks on me do not really mean anything because your zeal and rhetoric have destroyed your credibility.
Continue riding MEMs coattails. While I don't agree with him and some of the things he's done at least he has done SOMETHING. And we can discuss/debate his actions. So far all you've done is spout rhetoric.
Fascist? LOL.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lsushawn wrote:
I don't recall shouting or name calling
I didn't say that there had been any of that in this thread; it looked like it might be coming and I was hoping to head off another unwarranted descent into vitriol, the likes of which have been happening way too frequently here the last few days.

lsushawn wrote:
The only thing I was trying to get across is that the title of his thread will tend to make people (like 357) think that he was not allowed to go about his buisiness if he so chose to. The terminology used was very MEM esque.
I thought I had covered that when I said that "detained" can simply mean "delayed" as in the phrase, "I was unavoidably detained." Although some people might read the more legal meaning into the word, not everyone will; but I grant you it could be so construed.

lsushawn wrote:
I commended him for handling the situation like he did, it was handled the way all encounters such as this should be handled.
Thank you for seeing it this way; most of the regularcontributors at OCDO see it this way as well.

CaptainDan

imported post

evening guys,

just checked in and saw all the posts. good to be back amoung friends and as allways appreciate all the support.

however guys maybe I was too vague so let me clear it up a little. I was not physically detained so maybe I should have worded it differently. I didnt intend to cry wolf, however I did feel punked at the beginning and I knew if I had shown any weakness I would have probably been pushed further. I did not let it get that far. I knew my rights, stated them (without arguing) and left when she lost her steam. Had I not shut her down I am sure this would have gone worse than it did. I did however get the feeling , especially in the beginning, when she was demanding awnsers, that while I was not in a head lock I was being detained. When she knew I had her , it ended.

Now, having said that, I do not feel raped,violated or wronged. Mildly agrivated at best. I won, she got nothing, and her co-workers know she's been got. just thought you guys would find this incident interesting. I CHOSE not to make a scene, why would I? She didn't get my gun and I left when I had enough.

So all though I wasn't cuffed, I was detained, all though shortly, my knowledge of the laws (again thanks to La. openCarry) was probably what keptme froma ride in the taxpayers finest crown vic. So like i said no harm no foul.

By the way, she was in full uniform and I do know her first name, when I returned to give her the papers the other officer told me her name.I just left it out becouse nothing came of it, had I been arrested I would Spray paint her name on the court house wall.

Thanks again guys for the support and remember you don't necessarily have to be maced and cuffed to be detained. Stopped and forced to awnser questions while minding ones own buisness, in my mind anyway, is, if even asmall form, a form of detainment.

Great to be back guys

derf

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
Oh yea, XD-Gem it was the Home Depot in Marrero
Marrero? I'm surprised the cop didn't say "Thanks for bringing the roscoe, we may need it".

CaptainDan

imported post

Believe it or not as I mentioned earlier, this was the first (hopefully the last) negative occurance I have ever had.At leastin my case anyway, N.O. seems to be gun friendly. Probably in no small part dueto the efforts of our brother in arms XD-Gem and others like him.

kimber10mm

imported post

not sure of what you are saying but i do know that new orleans has some special gun laws that no one in hte state has

kimber10mm

imported post

not sure of what you are saying but i do know that new orleans has some special gun laws that no one in hte state has

derf

imported post

kimber10mm wrote:
There is a jackass trying to get some laws passed but he is failing like the idiot he is.

Some laws are in place regarding CCing around parades, though.