• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A liberal finally gets it; considers buying a gun.

KE7QXB

imported post

Thats a good story. I hope she finds a good range and good instructor and enjoys this great hobby. She won't be any bodies victim again! Good going girl!

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
"A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet." That's what they say...

I thought a liberalis a conservative that understands economics and realizes Reagan was a sham?

I actually know plenty of "liberals" (and I use that term loosely, anyone that isn't the unibomer is a liberal by this site's standards) that are pro-2A.Respect for theright to keep and bear arms is not limited to fasci... I mean... "conservatives".

Excellent article though.It should go out to every anti.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I figured one good thing is that since Berkeley forbids pistols, she'll probably have to go out of town to get one, and to practice with it. With a little luck she might run into someone who isn't a blithering leftoid. Her "friends" are really scary people.:shock:

JohnK87

imported post

I don't think it is a lib/con issue at all- it really is more of a country/city thing. The people locked in the cities grow up not thinking that they are allowed to defend themselves.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

JohnK87 wrote:
I don't think it is a lib/con issue at all- it really is more of a country/city thing. The people locked in the cities grow up not thinking that they are allowed to defend themselves.
Winner!!

FogRider

imported post

JohnK87 wrote:
I think you might be on to something there.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
JohnK87 wrote:
Winner!!

And why do you suppose they think they can't defend themselves?

Because liberals have brainwashed them into believing that they can't.

AZkopper

imported post

JohnK87 wrote:

Lets test that hypothesis:

Phoenix-big city (over 1 million people)...lots of people use firearms to defend themselves regularly.

Houston...big city....people don't seem afraid to defend themselves there.

Miami...another big city, in one of the first CCW states...problem not noticed.

no, I think it is a conservative/liberal thing.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
JohnK87 wrote:
Winner!!

And why do you suppose they think they can't defend themselves?

Because liberals have brainwashed them into believing that they can't.

No, because the anti-gun crowd as brainwashed them. Liberals have nothing to do with it.

When a previously "conservative" pro-2A persontakes off their blinders, steps out in the real world, gets educated, etc... they don't magically become anti-2A.

Just because someone wasn't rubbing Bush's balls for the last eight years, or because they like certain of Obama's policies, doesn't make them automatically anti-2A.

Open your mind and the world suddenly becomes less black/white.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
No, because the anti-gun crowd as brainwashed them.

Open your mind and the world suddenly becomes less black/white.

Show me a liberal and I will show you a brainwashed anti-gunner . :quirky:p:quirky

Of course the prodacle transformation is encouraging and at the same time the spewing of vomit does smell awful .

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

I know many people who call themselves conservative who are anti gun. Vehemently.

It is NOT a liberal/conservative divide.

Decoligny

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
What's that sdaying?

"Seek the truth and the truth will set you free".

It isn't a "saying" it is a scripture: John 8:32 "Any ye shall know the truth, and the truth shal MAKE you free."

Knowing the truth makes you free from the lies.

Decoligny

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I figured one good thing is that since Berkeley forbids pistols, she'll probably have to go out of town to get one, and to practice with it. With a little luck she might run into someone who isn't a blithering leftoid. Her "friends" are really scary people.:shock:
Berkeley forbids pistols?

Is this "Berkeley, CA"?

If so, the she sure as hell can have a pistol in Berkeley. She can even do the California UOC if she so chooses.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I'd like to get permission to republish this somewhere with edits.
I think not using the words liberal and conservative would go a long way to making this article the perfect bridge for a lot of people in America.
It's very easy for people to empathize with a story like that and take hard lessons away, even changing long-held beliefs. It's another thing entirely to use that story to attack an entire belief system. When you do that, the defenses go up too quickly and with too much strength for any argument to work.
Those words are losing their meaning daily anyways...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
I'd like to get permission to republish this somewhere with edits.
I think not using the words liberal and conservative would go a long way to making this article the perfect bridge for a lot of people in America.
It's very easy for people to empathize with a story like that and take hard lessons away, even changing long-held beliefs. It's another thing entirely to use that story to attack an entire belief system. When you do that, the defenses go up too quickly and with too much strength for any argument to work.
Those words are losing their meaning daily anyways...
Yeah, the biggest problem with the article is her "conversion" to "conservatism".

It's a good article, but I don't think it makes its point in the most convincing way. All the meaningless partisan language suggested to me a longtime conservative writer.

We shouldn't be trying to make liberals become conservative. Liberalism can be a good thing (some liberals still take the word "liberal" at its historical meaning, after all), even as just as an opposition force to the "conservatism" of the right-wing, which has developed many serious flaws in recent years.

What we should do is encourage liberals who plan to stay liberals to adopt appreciation for the RKBA as a tenet of their liberalism.

Then we (gun owners) win.

Edit: (Broken keyboard = forgive typos)