• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter in St. Tammany Parish

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Gr8 Scott wrote:
Had my first encounter with a LEO last night. I've only been OCing for a couple of months now.

I had just parked my car and was on my way in to Roma's Pizza in Mandeville when a St. Tammany Parish cruiser passed me in the parking lot. I kinda figured he saw me OCing because he slowed his car down to a crawl as he passed me. Couldn't see in the side because the windows were tinted, though. As I went in to get my pizzas, he circled around the parking lot and backed in to a spot that gave him a view of Roma's storefront. The place is in a strip mall with a wall of windows in the front, so I could pretty much see where his car was the whole time.

Anyway, they were busy, so I had to wait about 10 minutes. I had no problems with anyone inside. He waited in his car outside. When I came out of the place, two pizzas in my hands, I headed towards my car. Then he got out of his car and approached me.

LEO: Sir, what do you have there?
Me: A couple of pepperoni pizzas. (I don't think he was amused, but hey - he could have been asking about the pizzas!)
LEO: Sir, why are you carrying a firearm?
Me: For my personal protection.
LEO: May I see some identification please?
Me: I don't have my driver's license on me, I'm not driving right now.
LEO: Is it in your vehicle?
Me: Yes it is.
LEO: May I see it please?

We walk over to my car, and I put the pizzas on the roof. I didn't open the door.

Me: Why do you need my driver's license?
LEO: To establish your identity.
Me: Are you looking for someone?
LEO: Sir, are you going to show me your driver's license?
Me: What law am I violating?
LEO: You're wearing a firearm in public.
Me: Well, that's not against the law. Are you familiar with the state constitution, article 1 section 11? That gives citizens the right to keep and bear arms.
LEO: <Pause> Wait right here.

He writes down my license plate number and goes back to his cruiser. I get on my cell phone and call the wife to let her know what's going on.

He couldn't have been more then two minutes, and then he drives over to my car.

LEO: Have a nice evening.
Me: Thanks!

I'm glad I sprung for my digital voice recorder that has something like a 11 hour recording capacity. I keep that little sucker on all the time when I'm OCing, a lesson I learned from others on this site. I don't want to have to mess with the thing if I get into something with somebody.

Regrets:
I didn't get his name.
I led him to my car.

I'm sure glad I remembered the right constitution reference! I had to look it up when I got home - thank god I quoted the right one.

Oh, and I did have my license on me, but I wasn't going to give it up without a damn good reason.
Wow, what a Nazi. This cop committed some serious civil rights crimes and needs to spend a long time in jail. He had no right to ask you anything.

I think you did a great job putting him in his place. I would have cut it off sooner.

LEO: Sir, what do you have there?

Citizen: "A couple of pepperoni pizzas." (Great response, btw)

LEO: "Sir, why are you carrying a firearm?"

Citizen: "Is it illegal to carry a firearm?" or "I don't feel like speaking with you."

Always put the questions back on the criminal and stay in control of the criminal's actions. If he says that it's not illegal to carry a firearm, then he's admitted he has no business talking to you, and he shouldn't be committing civil rights crimes against you.

I think you had a textbook encounter. Well done, though the department needs to pick up the tab for a ruined meal and cold pizzas.

derf

imported post

Wow, what a Nazi. This cop committed some serious civil rights crimes and needs to spend a long time in jail. He had no right to ask you anything. I think you did a great job putting him in his place. I would have cut it off sooner. LEO: Sir, what do you have there? Citizen: "A couple of pepperoni pizzas." (Great response, btw) LEO: "Sir, why are you carrying a firearm?" Citizen: "Is it illegal to carry a firearm?" or "I don't feel like speaking with you." Always put the questions back on the criminal and stay in control of the criminal's actions. If he says that it's not illegal to carry a firearm, then he's admitted he has no business talking to you, and he shouldn't be committing civil rights crimes against you. I think you had a textbook encounter. Well done, though the department needs to pick up the tab for a ruined meal and cold pizzas.
Did a mean old fascist ask you some questions and hurt your feelings?

What "civil rights crimes" did the LEO commit?

derf

imported post

Always put the questions back on the criminal and stay in control of the criminal's actions. If he says that it's not illegal to carry a firearm, then he's admitted he has no business talking to you, and he shouldn't be committing civil rights crimes against you.
That is bad advice. You do not know what a LEO's intentions or duties are and assuming such a condescending attitude will get you in trouble. It COULD be that the LEO is working a detail at an establishment that has exercised THEIR RIGHT to deny OC in on THEIR property. It is not your place to "control" anyone's "actions", but your own.

Is it not perfectly legal for the owner of private property to deny the right to OC on their property?