Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask me why I carry?

Post imported post

Shoot outs and Killings all over Flint Why would you not carry.

Link http://url.ie/1ww2

The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

Maybe you should move. It would suck to not even be able to feel safe with a gun on your hip.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
    Maybe you should move. It would suck to not even be able to feel safe with a gun on your hip.
    Having a gun doesn't make me feel safe (nor does the lack of a gun make me feel less safe).

It makes me feel better prepared.

Post imported post

But to me feeling better prepared makes me feel safer.

Post imported post

Why not carry, I do it because its my right 1 and 2 to be a visual detterant in my neighborhood. Anything I can do to help keep my little piece of Detroit safeis a step in the right direction.

Post imported post

DarKRaceR wrote:
    Why not carry, I do it because its my right 1 and 2 to be a visual detterant in my neighborhood. Anything I can do to help keep my little piece of Detroit safeis a step in the right direction.
    What he said but substitute lil ol Lawrence.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

i carry... because 1 of michigan's most wanted lived about 1.5miles down my street (though i didn't know it). they finally got him though.... after the neighbor was yelled at to tackle the guy:-D

but that is only 1 of my reasons.

Post imported post

I carry for a variety of reasons... probably for many of the same that most ordinary folks carry so there's little need to rehash them all. But if I'm being squarely challenged by someone to give them a reason for carrying; I'm inclined to respond with, "This isn't WWII Germany or Communist China... I don't need to give reasons for invoking rights."

Post imported post

This reminds me of a neighborhood I pass through on the way to work.

There's lawn signs on everyone's lawn saying something like "New and improved Neighborhood Watch, keeping the Neighborhood safe." Then, on one guy's lawn in the midst of all these signs, there's an "NRA" sign. I thought it was absolutely epic.

Btw, I carry because seconds count, and cops are minutes away.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

I carry for all lawful purposes.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I carry because it is my right 2

Post imported post

Everyone has the right to defend themselves from any threat. Whether it be sticks or stones, or a 45acp.

I agree Veritas, we do not need a reason. My reason for carrying is as important as your right to voice out about it.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    I carry for all lawful purposes.
    I like this answer!! I just may have to use it... short sweet and to the point:celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    This reminds me of a neighborhood I pass through on the way to work.

There's lawn signs on everyone's lawn saying something like "New and improved Neighborhood Watch, keeping the Neighborhood safe." Then, on one guy's lawn in the midst of all these signs, there's an "NRA" sign. I thought it was absolutely epic.

Btw, I carry because seconds count, and cops are minutes away.
    I'll end up being "that guy" one day. Around here, it seems that a few neighbors do something with their yard and everyone follows suit. Like lawn lamps and flag poles... you see one, then two, then suddenly a dozen more pop up over the weekend. I'd like a flag pole... I just have to find a spot that won't interfere with my trees. That'll come after I finish deciding how I want to landscape (and then actually DOING the work). :-P

But unlike most folks flying flags, I would probably be inclined to fly the Gadsden flag instead of the US flag. I might even tack a Michigan flag up there too.

Post imported post

I carry a handgun because a whole cop is too heavy.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    I carry a handgun because a whole cop is too heavy.
    Hahahahaha!

Post imported post

I carry because I spent so much money on the class & the license I figured I should. Besides, I bought a really nice Kal-Tec PF-9.

Took the class because the sportsman club I belonged to offered it & I wanted to learn more about handgun safety & usage. Turned out, my Father did a fine job of teaching me.

Few years later I applied for the license because it made it easier to transport my .357 for deer hunting. The laws in MI. are so screwed up you can't hardly touch a handgun without violating some law.

Now I am just old and cantankerous and by me carrying, I have gotten others in my family to get involved. One even got his own license. Looks like some of the women will get guns for themselves.

I'm too old to run or fight, so I'll just shoot anybody that messes with me. Anybody that sees an old fart open carrying a gun figures he's crazy enough to use it. That's an advantage to old age, you just don't care anymore. I have a good chance of dieing before they can get me to trial.

Post imported post

AMEN Leader X2 thats my thought on it also.

A young man will fight you , an old man will just take you out, then go home and take his Jeratol:celebrate

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Having a gun doesn't make me feel safe (nor does the lack of a gun make me feel less safe).

It makes me feel better prepared.
    Exactly. Although, I do feel incomplete, or "naked" without my gun being with me. No different than not having my wallet or phone.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

I saw a post on another thread that I use when people ask me. Usually one or both of my daughters or wife or all three are with me and I'll say, "You see those girls? I'm their body guard."
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

Because I love life and the people around me.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    Because I love life and the people around me.

Bronson
    Amen +1.

-Richard-

Post imported post

I have begun to carry because I HAVE to protect my daughter. With "bad things" having happened to her before, I will not let it happen again. I often wonder if it would have happened had I carried then.

This is justone reason.Several othersalready mentioned are reasons of mine also.

Post imported post

I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man .

Post imported post

dukenukum wrote:
    I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man .
    Arguably the best answer. It's short and sweet... and right to the point.

Quite honestly, that's becoming my default answer whenever I'm asked about it. With all the battles I fight in life, it gets exhausting trying to debate with closed-minded people. Admittedly, my tongue gets sharp sometimes, too. For instance, I once had a (religion redacted) friend ask me, in a somewhat accusatory manner, why I carry a gun. I found the tone of his question offensive, so I shot back with, "Why are you (his religion)? Seriously dude... you're free to practice your religion and I'm free to carry a gun. You question me, and I question you... it's offensive, aint it?"

As for me, my days of long discussions about all the pro's of carrying a gun, as well as my reasons for OPEN CARRYING a gun are numbered. I think it's time to start driving the point home that it's a simple RIGHT... and to question that right is NO DIFFERENT than questioning someone's right to religious beliefs. The more I try to explain my rationale, the more people will find ways to oppose it. You can't oppose a RIGHT, though. We need to get 2A rights off the subject of OPINION and bring it back to what it is: a RIGHT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast