• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask me why I carry?

tygereye

imported post

I have begun to carry because I HAVE to protect my daughter. With "bad things" having happened to her before, I will not let it happen again. I often wonder if it would have happened had I carried then.

This is justone reason.Several othersalready mentioned are reasons of mine also.

Veritas

imported post

dukenukum wrote:
I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man .
Arguably the best answer. It's short and sweet... and right to the point.

Quite honestly, that's becoming my default answer whenever I'm asked about it. With all the battles I fight in life, it gets exhausting trying to debate with closed-minded people. Admittedly, my tongue gets sharp sometimes, too. For instance, I once had a (religion redacted) friend ask me, in a somewhat accusatory manner, why I carry a gun. I found the tone of his question offensive, so I shot back with, "Why are you (his religion)? Seriously dude... you're free to practice your religion and I'm free to carry a gun. You question me, and I question you... it's offensive, aint it?"

As for me, my days of long discussions about all the pro's of carrying a gun, as well as my reasons for OPEN CARRYING a gun are numbered. I think it's time to start driving the point home that it's a simple RIGHT... and to question that right is NO DIFFERENT than questioning someone's right to religious beliefs. The more I try to explain my rationale, the more people will find ways to oppose it. You can't oppose a RIGHT, though. We need to get 2A rights off the subject of OPINION and bring it back to what it is: a RIGHT.

DanM

imported post

dukenukum wrote:
I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man .

While this answer makes the point that natural rights don't have to be justified, because they are self-evident, I think (and this is just my own personal opinion) a better answer highlights the pure common-sense of being armed, or the folly of not doing so.

Why do I carry . . .?

". . . because when seconds count, the police are minutes away."

". . . because at least 9 out of 10 unarmed violent crime victims agree: 'I wish I would have had it when I needed it.'"

BreakingTheMold

imported post

"I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man ."

"This isn't WWII Germany or Communist China... I don't need to give reasons for invoking rights."

"I carry a handgun because a whole cop is too heavy."

"E: All of the above"

DarKRaceR

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:

"I need no reason to exercise my rights as a free man ."

"This isn't WWII Germany or Communist China... I don't need to give reasons for invoking rights."

"I carry a handgun because a whole cop is too heavy."

"E: All of the above"
Nice I like that answer.