• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dual carry

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I think there is a distinction. If you are in danger, you don't have a choice sometimes. You have to do things that might expose you to liability. Lets face it. Defending your life exposes you to liability. But since defending yourself is better than being dead, its the option we choose.
I agree, you're being exposed to liability whether you like it or not.
However when you are out of danger, your best option remains DON'T talk to the police. Don't agree to be interviewed, don't say anything.
Once you are out of danger, I totally agree.
Does it really matter if you identify yourself to the police? It shouldn't? If its not patently obvious to an officer arriving to the situation who the victim and who the perp is, saying "I'm the victim" doesn't (shouldn't) mean a thing to the cop anyway. How do they know its not the homeowner laying dead and the thug saying "I'm the victim" The police will probably put you on the ground either way.
I just thinkyou have to at least imply that you are not the wrong doer andlet them know that you want to cooperatebut will be exercising your rights. Once again, I just don't want to get shot,especially after going through all that work to defend myself afew minutes ago.:D

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
"Officer, his weapon is over there, my weapon is unloaded and over there, I fired in self defense. I'm willing to cooperate fully but would like to have council present when doing so."

Then shut up.
Even that is too much talking. You've already admitted things you shouldn't have. You admited it was your weapon. You admitted you fired it. You even admitted you had the calmness of mind to unload your weapon. ALL things that could be used against you. The 5th Amendment was not intended to keep criminals from incriminating themselves, it was intended so that the innocent wouldn't incriminate themselves.

Never talk to the police without your attorney: SAY NOTHING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE
Not exactly. In large part the 5th was mostly a recognition that most defendants would lie if forced to testify. It has more recntly morphed into something else.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

ilbob wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:
"Officer, his weapon is over there, my weapon is unloaded and over there, I fired in self defense. I'm willing to cooperate fully but would like to have council present when doing so."

Then shut up.
Even that is too much talking. You've already admitted things you shouldn't have. You admited it was your weapon. You admitted you fired it. You even admitted you had the calmness of mind to unload your weapon. ALL things that could be used against you. The 5th Amendment was not intended to keep criminals from incriminating themselves, it was intended so that the innocent wouldn't incriminate themselves.

Never talk to the police without your attorney: SAY NOTHING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE
Not exactly. In large part the 5th was mostly a recognition that most defendants would lie if forced to testify. It has more recntly morphed into something else.
I thought it was put in place mostly to prevent forced confessions under torture or other threat.