• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Throw Burlington Coat Factory on the watch list...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I was in the Lakewood store for all of 2 mins, looking at some dress slacks when I was approached by someone who appeared curious, then came to my weak side, obviously leaning in to peek at the logo on my chest (company embroidered dress/casual button up). She was not wearing any ID, or any indication that she worked for the store, although her demeanor indicated that she worked there. One she started asking what was on my side I got the impression that she was fishing for something. When I responded it was my sidearm, she again asked, 'what is it'. She wanted to see a police ID, and let me know that unless I was a police officer, in uniform, on duty, that they wouldn't allow me to carry in their stores. I politely informed her that I had contacted corporate a number of years ago (about 2, actually) and had been told that they follow laws of the state... She insisted that she was correct, appearing visibly agitated that I would counter her statement. She abruptly stated that she would get a copy of the policy, I informed her that I would be bringing my purchases up front.

As I was checking out, she showed me an EMPLOYEE policy stating that EMPLOYEES may not carry unless they're police officers working for Burlington as security, and in uniform. It was obviously a form for employees to sign when they were employed, as it had a spot labelled 'employee signature' along with a line.. (DUH!)

I pointed out to her the fact that it was in reference to employees, and told her I had a letter from corporate (email, long since deleted). I asked her how long they had the policy in effect, thinking maybe they changed it in the meantime, and she responded that it had been at least 5 years.

I responded that if I had an email from corporate if she would let me carry, she said 'it's not allowed', and said that I can call corporate and they'll tell me it's not allowed. When I told her I already had an email, she said it wasn't allowed, then said I should bring it in any time I wanted to shop there, then said she didn't want to argue with me, and that she had 'the same conversation with another customer not too long ago'...

She was obviously agitated, but not overtly agressive, borderline rude and disrespectful but nothing over the top. More like a 'I know I'm right and you'll do as I say' kind of attitude. She cut me off a number of times, and it was apparent that she did not want to discuss the matter.

I was never asked to leave, oddly enough.

I have another email off to burlington as we speak.

ETA: Before anyone starts calling me an ass, I was extremely polite, firm but non-confrontational, saying ma'am,etc etc. I do have proof of this as well.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I was in the Lakewood store for all of 2 mins, looking at some dress slacks when I was approached by someone who appeared curious, then came to my weak side, obviously leaning in to peek at the logo on my chest (company embroidered dress/casual button up). She was not wearing any ID, or any indication that she worked for the store, although her demeanor indicated that she worked there. One she started asking what was on my side I got the impression that she was fishing for something. When I responded it was my sidearm, she again asked, 'what is it'. She wanted to see a police ID, and let me know that unless I was a police officer, in uniform, on duty, that they wouldn't allow me to carry in their stores. I politely informed her that I had contacted corporate a number of years ago (about 2, actually) and had been told that they follow laws of the state... She insisted that she was correct, appearing visibly agitated that I would counter her statement. She abruptly stated that she would get a copy of the policy, I informed her that I would be bringing my purchases up front.

As I was checking out, she showed me an EMPLOYEE policy stating that EMPLOYEES may not carry unless they're police officers working for Burlington as security, and in uniform. It was obviously a form for employees to sign when they were employed, as it had a spot labelled 'employee signature' along with a line.. (DUH!)

I pointed out to her the fact that it was in reference to employees, and told her I had a letter from corporate (email, long since deleted). I asked her how long they had the policy in effect, thinking maybe they changed it in the meantime, and she responded that it had been at least 5 years.

I responded that if I had an email from corporate if she would let me carry, she said 'it's not allowed', and said that I can call corporate and they'll tell me it's not allowed. When I told her I already had an email, she said it wasn't allowed, then said I should bring it in any time I wanted to shop there, then said she didn't want to argue with me, and that she had 'the same conversation with another customer not too long ago'...

She was obviously agitated, but not overtly agressive, borderline rude and disrespectful but nothing over the top. More like a 'I know I'm right and you'll do as I say' kind of attitude. She cut me off a number of times, and it was apparent that she did not want to discuss the matter.

I was never asked to leave, oddly enough.

I have another email off to burlington as we speak.

ETA: Before anyone starts calling me an ass, I was extremely polite, firm but non-confrontational, saying ma'am,etc etc. I do have proof of this as well.
I'd call that just plain rude, not borderline. I was raised not to constantly interrupt people.

PolskiG

imported post

Daniel-

Do you get kick out or harassed at business a lot for OCing? Its never happen to me so i'm trying to figure out the differences between what i'm doing vs what you're doing.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Maybe Techno is a quiet unassuming guy. People think he will be a push over. Just speculating. No offense Techno I have enjoyed your posts and meant to talk to you at the Seatac meet. I am purely speculating. Good job at handling that situation.

sempercarry

imported post

I think that could be it.....I have been OCing almost every day for the past year and have had only 2 or 3 encounters....mostly curiosity....I am 6ft 200lbs, not the smallest guy so perhaps people are less likely to confront me because they feel moreintimidated than a guy who is 5'6" and 140 lbs?

PolskiG

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
I think that could be it.....I have been OCing almost every day for the past year and have had only 2 or 3 encounters....mostly curiosity....I am 6ft 200lbs, not the smallest guy so perhaps people are less likely to confront me because they feel moreintimidated than a guy who is 5'6" and 140 lbs?
I'm 5'7" 140, still no issues

TechnoWeenie

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I walk around like I own the place so maybe that helps.

LOL.

Command presence is my specialty.

I do reserve it for the proper time/place.

My outlook on life is, 'diplomat first, soldier second'.

Ie. Try to talk it out, god help you if the (proverbial) guns have to come out.

sempercarry

imported post

Perhaps it is presence.....I am a Marine and I think it shows.I definatly walk into a room like it is mine and I am just allowing people to be there.

Vandal

imported post

I think age, location, and for lack of a better term, command presence/ perceived confidence have a lot to deal with harassment issues when OCing.

I am 23, 6-4, 225# and have a tendency to walk around like I am in charge no matter where I am. People tend to leave folks with an obvious Type A personality alone. I am very rarely bothered in public OCing or just walking around when CCing because of this. On the other hand, if I am tired and it shows I have more people coming up to talk to me about the gun on my hip because I am not as much an intimidating person when I am slouching and dragging a$$.

bugly

imported post

I learned how to enter, cruise around a room and leave without being noticed, perhaps that's why nobody ever seems to notice my sidearm, either. I walk past a preschool every morning on my way to my car, packing a 1911 full size .45 openly and the kids are usually getting into the buses (parents and teachers everywhere) and never has one word been said, short of one kid, one time pointing at my car and calling it a "racecar". (he was obviously referring to the airbrushed flames on my hood).

edited for my lack of spelling skills tonight