• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US Military CC/OC/Mil code of justice please post some

Bustelo5%

imported post

First off I want to say I love this forum and the people who shed light on the complex nature of the Republic we live in.
1.Can a active, inactive,or veteran US Military service member CC with out a permit in all states?
2.Are Military Police,SP's,DOD Police officers afforded the same protection that most states have, a stated law or un said rule that they may carry on their person as they wish. In Ohio the FOP is afforded the right to carry CC with out a permit. Even after they have retired.
3. Detainment,can Us Military personal make a arrest of a citizen off base or outside of their jurisdiction in the United States.
Bravo Tango Whiskey (BTW) I am an MP brat so I know some stuff just not everything guess thats what I get for being rebelious and not listening to my pops when young lol.
4. I heard something that I can own a m16 in Ohio because my Dad is in the Army I havent come accross this in the ORCs but who can give me an anwser?

5.Can someone please post some Uniform Code of Justice for OC on Mil Bases. If I decide to go bk to Hawaii or visit a base I wanna know the law.

Thanks BTW

VAopencarry

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
First off I want to say I love this forum and the people who shed light on the complex nature of the Republic we live in.
1.Can a active, inactive,or veteran US Military service member CC with out a permit in all states? no

2.Are Military Police,SP's,DOD Police officers afforded the same protection that most states have, a stated law or un said rule that they may carry on their person as they wish. In Ohio the FOP is afforded the right to carry CC with out a permit. Even after they have retired. The military, is the military-civilian is civilian. Un-said rule=go to jail. I don't know Ohio specifically but I would think no.There is some debate if MP's fall under LEOSA, general opinion seems to be , no

3. Detainment,can Us Military personal make a arrest of a citizen off base or outside of their jurisdiction in the United States.
Bravo Tango Whiskey (BTW) I am an MP brat so I know some stuff just not everything guess thats what I get for being rebelious and not listening to my pops when young lol. If US Military personnel are making arrests' off base we have big frikkin problems!

4. I heard something that I can own a m16 in Ohio because my Dad is in the Army I havent come accross this in the ORCs but who can give me an anwser? Ohio does not ban class III weapons.Your Dad being in the Army has nothing to do with it. You do the paperwork like anybody else.

5.Can someone please post some Uniform Code of Justice for OC on Mil Bases. If I decide to go bk to Hawaii or visit a base I wanna know the law. You can't OC or CC in Hawaii .You cannot carry, CC or OC on base, any base that I know of, unless you are an MP etc. on duty.

Thanks BTW

jerg_064

imported post

In Georgia "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States" are excepmted from the EXACT same weapons carry laws as "piece officers". That includes on or off duty. AD, Guard, Reserve... It doesn't matter, you don't even have tobe a resident ofthe state, just be in it. In other words, I can carry off duty in all the same places an LEO can carry on duty in Georiga, by law.

I've done some reasearch on this and I believe Ga is the only state that treats military like this. Most states have a 'in the line of duty' type clause, Ga intentionally got rid of their clause in the '90s(i think). It's under 'Ga code 16-11-130; exemptions from 16-11-126--16-11-128.

As far as carry on base, lol, not that I've ever heard of. Different bases tend to have slight differences in policy, like mine has a trap n' skeet range, and also around a 1k-2K acres ofhunting land. So I can bring long guns on base, and if you live on base you can store them in your house. But since I live off-base, I CANNOT bring a hangun on base at anytime for any reason.

codename_47

imported post

1.Can a active, inactive,or veteran US Military service member CC with out a permit in all states?

Yes, UCMJ has nothing to do with that. What you do off post is your business. Some local post policies may try to reach into gun registrations on post/base, but that is a local post policy.

2.Are Military Police,SP's,DOD Police officers afforded the same protection that most states have, a stated law or un said rule that they may carry on their person as they wish. In Ohio the FOP is afforded the right to carry CC with out a permit. Even after they have retired.

What you do off post is generally your own business. This is a state to state thing.

Not just no but hell no. Check out the Posse Comitatus Act. If that happened, someone would probably be getting relieved of duty.

4. I heard something that I can own a m16 in Ohio because my Dad is in the Army I havent come accross this in the ORCs but who can give me an anwser?

Being in the army doesn't allow you to own a M16 personally.

5.Can someone please post some Uniform Code of Justice for OC on Mil Bases. If I decide to go bk to Hawaii or visit a base I wanna know the law.

There is no OCing on base as far as I have seen. Gun rules are again a local installation policy. Most do not like people carrying around guns concealed or not.

WheelGun

imported post

Generally, the answers to the above questions are NO.

A soldier who is not on active duty does not have the same status as an off-duty police officer. They carry a privately owned weapon according to the same laws as everyone else.

A soldier who is on active duty does not have the same status as an on-duty police officer. They carry government-issued weapons and have authority as specified in their orders/rules of engagement. Not even if the soldier's MOS is 31Bravo (Military Police) do they retain law enforcement powers off duty.

Generally MPs who leave the base to assist local law enforcement are given Peace Officer powers (police powers limited to the assignment) only during the time they are on-duty as MPs.

A soldier simply in transit to or from a military base, even if in uniform, does not have the authority to carry a weapon for the purpose of enforcing laws as if they were a Police/Peace Officer. Legally they are a civilian. They carry as a civilian (but NOT openly.)

Many soldiers carry personally owned weapons while in transit around the US to verious training missions. This is done by soldiers who take their own cars to training sites. Bringing a gun on a federally chartered bus is not a good idea.

Many federal military bases DO make provisions for the storing of personally owned weapons that soldiers have carried for personal protection in transit. They registerthem with the base MPs and store them in the unit's 'weapon's room.'

On a state military facility,unlessstrictly prohibited in the orders, they maysimply leave their personal weapons in the car while undergoing training. Sometimes a little 'trigger time' takes place after hours. Perfectly acceptable.

But they carry as civilians, under their military uniform. Not OC. They do not carry while on base during training.

Edit: the above is from the perspective of a Weekend Warrior. Full time military living in the barracks, probably best to leave firearms back in your residence or with relatives if you do not have your own place. If you are full time military and living off base (private house or rented apartment), then you are a civilian with legally ownedguns just like all other law abiding civilians.

Owning a full auto weapon is not easier for someone who is related to military personnel. If my father worked at a nuclear reactor, can I have my own plutonium?

Carnivore

imported post

You need to thin your vinegar a bit.. unless you personally are in the military, you are just a civilian 24/7/365 you ain't riding on Daddys boot stringsjust because he was/is military..

Decoligny

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
1.Can a active, inactive,or veteran US Military service member CC with out a permit in all states? NO. People are often confused as most states have an exemption for active duty military. They just fail to read that the exemption is for active duty military, WHILE IN THE PERFORMANCE OF OFFICIAL DUTIES.
2.Are Military Police,SP's,DOD Police officers afforded the same protection that most states have, a stated law or un said rule that they may carry on their person as they wish. In Ohio the FOP is afforded the right to carry CC with out a permit. Even after they have retired. Not sure on this one. I don't think CA allows retired Military Police/SPs to carry, don't know about DoD Police Officers
Bravo Tango Whiskey (BTW) I am an MP brat so I know some stuff just not everything guess thats what I get for being rebelious and not listening to my pops when young lol. Yes, just the same as any other citizen can, it's called a Citizen's Arrest. The status of U.S. Military does not come into play here, it gives them no additional arrest powers.
4. I heard something that I can own a m16 in Ohio because my Dad is in the Army I havent come accross this in the ORCs but who can give me an anwser? If Ohio doesn't have an "Assault Weapon" ban, and you have the proper Federal paperwork, I don't see why not. Your dad being in the Army has nothing to do with it.
5.Can someone please post some Uniform Code of Justice for OC on Mil Bases. If I decide to go bk to Hawaii or visit a base I wanna know the law. There is no UCMJ prohibition on OC on Military Bases. It is usually based on the standing orders of the Commanding Officer of the Installation. If they have said no, then it pretty much carries the weight of law as a legal order under the UCMJ for active military. As far as retirees, civilians, and dependants go, it would most likely end up with a PERMANENT barring from entry to the base.
Thanks BTW

Bustelo5%

imported post

Hey thanks everyone for replying and keep talking about this I think its a good thread that alot of people can get some understanding out of.
Better to ask questions no one else will ask,than high horses who know everything....

jerg_064

imported post

I wanted to add that the military exemption in Ga does NOT extent to retirees.

Retired "Peace Officers" do still retain the same rights to carry as long as they're still "certified".

But for Military, "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States". I'd say it only applies during your enlistment term, still irregardless of service or status(AD, reserve, guard,GSDF).

Bustelo5%

imported post

Thanks to everyone who posted positive feedback totally cool. One of my major points I am trying to make is that MPS are LEOS also and ever more so,there are many mps who have put away alot of criminals.and should be respected in that same way .What I am still confused by for sure is how is an FBI agent different than an MP,its the same constituion and government they swear to.

No riding on any BTUs for me,my Dad and I havent spoke for years chinga esto,but I think I am talking about a class 3 license that I am able to btain while my dad is active duty.I would suppoe it would be like that,since my dad owned his own personal M16 but im just some dumb ass hawaiian kid what do I know.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Thanks to everyone who posted positive feedback totally cool. One of my major points I am trying to make is that MPS are LEOS also and ever more so,there are many mps who have put away alot of criminals.and should be respected in that same way .What I am still confused by for sure is how is an FBI agent different than an MP,its the same constituion and government they swear to.

No riding on any BTUs for me,my Dad and I havent spoke for years chinga esto,but I think I am talking about a class 3 license that I am able to btain while my dad is active duty.I would suppoe it would be like that,since my dad owned his own personal M16 but im just some dumb ass hawaiian kid what do I know.

codename_47

imported post

What I am still confused by for sure is how is an FBI agent different than an MP,its the same constituion and government they swear to.

The threshold to be an FBI special agents is way, way higher than it is to be an MP, for example, college degree, TS clearance, etc...

Bustelo5%

imported post

I can definitely see that the standards are way much higher and not to say there are not CID who eventually end up in the FBI. Im glad this post sprung up some thoughts and everyone has been posting on it.And anyone who knows Mil Bases that are ok to OC please post the locations and their base commander info bases have bad guys to.

Glad I did post this and not get my car inspected when I go visit my buddies on base and get arrested for being dumb.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've NEVER seen ANY military base where you can OC. To even have a weapon on a base, you must comply with the base CO's published directives. Most of them have a similar policy: Weapons must be secured (and ammo separately) in an inaccessable part of your vehicle (trunk) and turned into the armory upoin entering the base. Most bases have a duty armorer that is either stands watch there or is on a pager for such things.

The ONLY personnel authorized to "Open Carry" on any military base are those with the express permission of the CO. Those include range details (wth written orders), MP's (while ON DUTY ONLY), and LAW ENFORCEMENT personnel (NCIS, CGIS, CID, etc). These personnel are actually SWORN FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS. Base security personnel are NOT. DOD police, Army MPs and contract security guards are VERY limited in their authority, even on base.

Active Duty Coast Guard Law Enforcement Personnel have an amazing amount of law enforecement authority under 14 USC 89. There is even a U. S. Code for assaulting, intimidating or preventing a Coast Guardsman from performing their official duties under 18 USC 111, but even Coasties with all this authority are civilians when not on duty and must comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concering the carriage of firearms when off duty. I know a few guys that got into some SERIOUS trouble when they got caught carrying guns in NYC off duty. They were fortunate not to get arrested, but they were turned over to their CO instead. When all was said and done, I think they wish they had been arrested!

Bustelo5%

imported post

Awesome now this post is going in the direction I wanted it to go. Keep on posting to this MSC your post is really informative to NOOBS like me who are just pescky ex-dependants who still have tons of family and friends who are active duty and would rather enjoy freedom than having to get detained.

I have a friend in hawaii that is a coast guard patrolmen and he has delt with the same trouble from civillian leos.

I really think there should at least be an over all understanding that MPS CID and anyone who has arrested or has been in that compasity to be able to CC/OC no matter where they go.If your US LEO than its your duty to protect yourself from anyone who you have detained period with no CC applications just ur DOD issued card stating ur active/retired and discharged honorably.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Edit anyperson who formally was active duty or civillian in service of our republic should have to re qualify just as retired LEOS and should not negate their need to defend themselves.

Decoligny

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I can definitely see that the standards are way much higher and not to say there are not CID who eventually end up in the FBI. Im glad this post sprung up some thoughts and everyone has been posting on it.And anyone who knows Mil Bases that are ok to OC please post the locations and their base commander info bases have bad guys to.

Glad I did post this and not get my car inspected when I go visit my buddies on base and get arrested for being dumb.
I think we are getting MPs SPs etc confused with Army CID agents, Air Force OSI agents, and Navy NCIS agents who indeed have LEO status.

Your day to day MP is not a sworn LEO. The CID/OSI/NCIS agent is a Federally sworn LEO.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Awesome now this post is going in the direction I wanted it to go. Keep on posting to this MSC your post is really informative to NOOBS like me who are just pescky ex-dependants who still have tons of family and friends who are active duty and would rather enjoy freedom than having to get detained.
Some of us are retired military and were dependents before entering the service. My dad and his dad were in the Marine Corps. My older bother is Navy and younger brother is Army. None of this gives any of us the right to Keep and bear Arms. Only the CONSTITUTION gives us that right. Unfortunately, many states feel they have the authority to decide WHO gets to Keep and Bear Arms. As stated previously, military service is not a qualifier for this human right.

I have a friend in hawaii that is a coast guard patrolmen and he has delt with the same trouble from civillian leos.
No such thing. Your friend may be at a unit that conducts law enforcement either near shore or on the high seas. He isn't an independent LEO with a boat (or car) of his own from which he "patrols". He is a member of a boarding team that consists of at LEAST 2 people. One of whom is a qualified Boarding Officer (BO) and the other may also be a BO or a qualified Boarding Team Member (BTM). To qualify as a BO or BTM, one must be a graduate of Coast Guard BO or BTM school, or complete the required Personal Qualification Standards (PQS) for the job. The PQS book covers laws, physical fitness, weapons qualifications, arrest procedures, defensive tactics and some other stuff that doesn't come immediately to mind at the moment.

The Coast Guard is a unique service in that it is bothone of the five armed services in the United States AND a Federal Law Enforcement Agency. They use the same payscale as the other 4 armed services, have identical ID cards and use the same facilities (Commisary, Exchange, etc)as the others.

It is also under the Department of Homeland Security and charged with maritime law enforcement AND (strangely enough) responsible for the security of the airspace over Washington, D.C. where they are the ONLY aircraft authorized to fly armed aircraft over the Nation's Capital (other than military aircraft vectored to intercept an incoming aircraft).

I really think there should at least be an over all understanding that MPS CID and anyone who has arrested or has been in that compasity (capacity?) to be able to CC/OC no matter where they go.If your(you're?)US LEO than its your duty to protect yourself from anyone who you have detained period with no CC applications just ur (your?) DOD issued card stating ur (you're?)active/retired and/ordischarged honorably.

We all try to use proper English here. Some people spell better than others and we all make a few mistakes. We REALLY try to use WORDS, not text-talk in our posts.

I believe the :banghead:post above wasused because of your inabilty/unwillingness and/or lazinessto use the English language.