• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC How to in a Suit/OverCoat?

Bustelo5%

imported post

I want to OC in a Suit and think there may be some others wh would like some clarifications on this.
Most Sport Jackets and Suit Jackets are pretty long.

2.How do you open Carry in an over coat or Trenchcoat?

Does anyone have Pictures of how they would do this?

One of my thoughts was to cut and hem a right side arm hole as to where I want the holster to be out side of my Trenchcoat while im in a suit.
I think it would look much more better than having the right side open and unbuttoned.
Any thoughts Ideas,and post pics please this will help alot of people.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think OC in a suit is an as-yet uninvented fashion (minus the uniform-style "Sam Browne" rigs). Most people CC in a suit.

Edit: Then again, I can't think of what would really work, aside from a "Sam Browne" rig.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

My dress while CCW in SC was most likely a double knit shirt over khaki slacks and loafers.

Padawan No1 is right on with his Sam Browne crack.

I would like to find a nice dressy, but not military lookin', gun belt. Hopefully I am big enough and 'hippy' enough to do without the Sam Browne.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

A comfortable crossdraw holster in black or brown and a 640 Smith and Wesson with ivory grips . The Tyler adds a custom vintage warm security touch , similar to the effects of a silverback gorilla .

With the white grips at the belly button OC or CC is rapidly accomplished .

Just a little Realm cologne with pheromone for another possible edge and a trend is made .

Alexcabbie

imported post

Well, I have a dark brown leather trench coat and a holster goes very well on the belt, but with my P.38 or PPK/s I sorta look like I'm gonna start asking folks fer their 'papers, please". However it does work for OC.

But what about eating where "jacket and tie" required and by Va Law you MUST expose the weapon? Well, if there is a little tailor shop near you, it's possible they can cut a slit on the side you carry on, with some kind of fastener arrangement to keep the jacket behind the holster and also to close the slit and make it inconspicuous when not in use. With that rig somebody can maybe tell us how cool Ruth's Chris is with OC. :cool:

Chaingun81

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Well, I have a dark brown leather trench coat and a holster goes very well on the belt, but with my P.38 or PPK/s I sorta look like I'm gonna start asking folks fer their 'papers, please". However it does work for OC.

But what about eating where "jacket and tie" required and by Va Law you MUST expose the weapon? Well, if there is a little tailor shop near you, it's possible they can cut a slit on the side you carry on, with some kind of fastener arrangement to keep the jacket behind the holster and also to close the slit and make it inconspicuous when not in use. With that rig somebody can maybe tell us how cool Ruth's Chris is with OC. :cool:

Hahahaha. I just imagined what you described: "Entschuldingung Sie - Papieren bitte!. Sind Sie ein Jude? Soldatten, Feuer!" I know it's not really funny, just couldn't help it when I drew the picture of you in a brown leather trench coat with a Walter. Excuse my poor German grammar too.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Well, if there is a little tailor shop near you, it's possible they can cut a slit on the side you carry on, with some kind of fastener arrangement to keep the jacket behind the holster and also to close the slit and make it inconspicuous when not in use. :cool:

I've done just that with a few vests (I do not wear jackets or ties any more). Have a tailor cut the side seam to a point about 2 inches above the top of where your grip sits, and then put some velcro or snaps along the two sides so you can refasten the seam. (One long strip of velcro looks better than several small strips or snaps - no puckering.)

OC by opening up the side seam and tucking the rear portion of the jacket behind the grips. (Think old cowboy movies where they swing their coattails behind the gun just before the shootout on main street.) Be sure you have a good tuck and that you are not blocking the ability to get your hand around the grips.

In a trenchcoat, a tanker's rig looks good. A more cheesy style is a General Officer's belt set with the insignia buckle in front. Of course, if you do that you are limited to carrying a .380 :uhoh:.

Other overcoats are going to be a problem. How about sewing a holster under the laft armpit like a shoulder holster? It might work as long as you keep the coat buttoned, but will probably swing too far back if you wear the coat unfastened. It's also going to mean not wearing the coat if you decide to go sans gun.

stay safe.

skidmark

Bustelo5%

imported post

I really like the Idea of tailoring your over coats and suit coats.Simply cutting and heming up the edges would do the trick and keep your trench coat closed and have enough room to move around.
I think on a suit jacket heming a straight slit right up where you rest the gun on your hip,with give you an unobstructed oc while still waering a full suit or just wanting to wear your oc suit jacket with jeans.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I wear button downs and sport coats with jeans and it always confused me how you would oc with a sport coat,or coming up with niffty ways of oc with a trench coat with out a gun belt over it making you look like a nazi since I have a shaved head that wont go over to well laugh out loud.

WheelGun

imported post

Tan safari jacket with pistol on Sam Browne belt. Belt and holster a reddish-brown leather. Pistol would have to be a .455 Webley. Tan bush hat with one side pinned up, similar to the WW1 Australians. Tan pants with reddish-brown riding boots. Scarf around neck, perhaps a riding crop.