• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A request about posting news stories

MichaelWDean

imported post

I would love it if when people post a new story, they put the state it's from, either in the subject line, or in the first paragraph of the post. It's confusing when reading about a law or news story about open carry in "Westfield" or "New Hopenshire" or "the town of Washington" to not know what state it's in. There's usually a link to a local newspaper, but local newspapers have a local view too, and often don't say up front what state they're in.

I usually try to figure it out from the home state of the person posting, but that doesn't always work because sometimes people from one state post about another state.

Anyway, I'd love it if more people would post the state along with the town when posting about local news.

Thanks!

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

I've been on the Internet since 1989 (newsgroups and e-mail), since before the Web.

I have no problem using my real name, my town. And a clear photo of myself:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/27218-1.html

You, Il Duce, hiding behind a tyrant's name, seem to poke at a lot of people on here for no reason.

That's probably why you use a fake name and only poke on the Internet. You'd get punched in the nose, gun or no gun, on any street in America interacting face to face the way you do anonymously on the Web.

Though from a little sleuthing, if you're the video gamer kid I think you are, you are not old enough to legally carry a gun.

When you do become old enough, I believe you should consider concealed carry, because if you behave in real life the way you do on the Internet, you would be doing a huge disservice to open carry.

I've seen your work on here, and it won't work on me.

(user ignored.)

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

>"To be rather than to seem."

Love it. Kinda Zen even. And very very cool.

We considered West Virginia, based on low crime, OK gun laws, cheap land, and the flag has rifles on it and says in Latin "Mountaineers are always free."

drkarrow

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
(user ignored.)
Is there an actual way to ignore users on this board so their messages do not show? I don't know how. I'd love to know how if I'm missing it. I love the features I've seen to ignore user on other boards.

MichaelWDean

imported post

drkarrow wrote:
MichaelWDean wrote:
(user ignored.)
Is there an actual way to ignore users on this board so their messages do not show?
Dunno. Would be nice. If it's not in the forum software's options, then it's not.

But I wish the moderators on here would ban weenies. It's NOT un-libertarian or "playing cop." Your property, your rules.

If someone adds nothing but grief to a site, they increase the noise-to-signal ratio, and decrease the value of the site. Both socially and monetarily. Weenies chase off good people, which lowers the price of ad rates, or the number of click-throughs. It's the site owners' money going down the drain, not mine.

(I may seem overly bold making strong suggestions after only a little time on a site, but I'm a good person to have around. I make frequent, intelligent contributions to any fourm I'm on. I buy products from ads on sites I frequent. I'm polite. I recommend the sites to other intelligent, polite people. And I even spell check.)

But really? The only place you can truly block someone is in your own head. And I can block someone named Il Duce easily.

Il Duce was the nickname of the Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. Mussolini was not only a murderous tyrant but also a first-rate gun grabber:

"The measures adopted to restore public order are: First of all, the elimination of the so-called subversive elements. ... They were elements of disorder and subversion. On the morrow of each conflict I gave the categorical order to confiscate the largest possible number of weapons of every sort and kind. This confiscation, which continues with the utmost energy, has given satisfactory results."

--Benito Mussolini, addressing the Italian Senate in 1931.

(From:
http://davekopel.org/2A/Mags/Italy.htm )
---

It would be slightly cooler to call yourself "Barack Obama" or "Diane Feinstein" or "Sarah Brady" on a gun-rights site. I'll have no problem ignoring OCDO user Il Duce. Anyone who would use that name is worthy of being ignored. (Even if he got it from a movie or one of his first-person-shooter video games instead.)

After Il Duce was executed, he was "hung upside down on meathooks from the roof of a gas station, then stoned by civilians from below.... The corpse of the deposed leader became subject to ridicule and abuse."

(from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Mussolini#Mussolini.27s_body )

This is someone to name yourself after? Well, feel free.

If OCDO user Il Duce picked his name, on the other hand, in honor of El (sic) Duce,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Duce
the now-dead (stepped in front of a train while drunk) singer/drummer in The Mentors (who thought it was cool to name himself after the Italian Dictator, but was too stupid to spell the name right), I met that guy when my band Bomb
http://www.hitsofacid.com
opened for The Mentors at TT The Bears in Boston, MA in 1988.

That El Duce wasn't a very impressive human, he was quite a sad drunk who crapped in his pants in the dressing room before their set that night. He was too weak to play drums well and too wasted to remember the words to his own songs....Not really worthy of naming oneself after.

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
stomping trolls.... is too much fun.

It is! But I'm done with this one. I did a good job, and I won't put any more energy into it with anyone who will not post their real name, their town, and a photo. Cyber-beating up an anonymous teenage boy sniping from behind a computer monitor in his momma's paneled basement rec-room is boring, and not a fair fight.

If "Il Duce" posts a clear photo of himself open carrying, posts his real name, and his town, I'll address anything he says. Otherwise, we're done.

OK...let's talk about open carry.

It's wonderful! I love it!

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
MichaelWDean,

Welcome to OCDO, and I think I like you already! :)
Thanks man! I feel welcome. :celebrate(That's me dancing because I feel welcome, and because I just got off the phone with the realtor in Casper and I think we're getting the place we wanted. Will know by Monday.)

This is a very good site, with a (mostly) great crew o' folks.

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I thank you for using an ostensibly real name.
It's real. I'm Michael W. Dean. This is me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_W._Dean

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/3220

Anyone (except Il_Duce) can feel free to e-mail me from any of the official sites listed and I'll e-mail back.

Also, several of the Wyoming people on here have met me in person. We've shaken hands, hugged, had dinner together, and they've taken me shooting. I'm real. :) I have three dimensions and the name I'm using here is the name my parents gave me, and it's on my birth certificate and driver's license.

If more people used their real names, the Internet would be a better place.

MWD

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

Huh. That's kind of small-world odd.

Mikey, you're roughly my dad's age, and spent time in my hometown just before I was born. (He was oddly enough at about the age I am now)

But really, anyone who flunked out of JCC, known to the locals as JHS'/SWCS' 13th grade, I don't think I'd like anything to do with you either. :lol:

MichaelWDean

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:

Mikey, you're roughly my dad's age, and spent time in my hometown just before I was born. (He was oddly enough at about the age I am now)

But really, anyone who flunked out of JCC, known to the locals as JHS'/SWCS' 13th grade, I don't think I'd like anything to do with you either. :lol:

Very odd!

Jamestown, NY, good place to not be, as you've figured out by relocating to Pennsylvania!

Ask your dad if he knew Dwayne Bowles. Dwayne was my friend, the guitar player in my band and we were house mates. Dwayne was murdered by a guy named Brian in 1985. Brian came into the house (I wasn't there, I'd just moved to Virginia), shot Dwayne, his friend since childhood, and killed him. For no reason at all.

Brian tried to kill the rest of the roommates, all childhood friends of his too. They jumped out the 2nd floor window and ran away.

Brian left and drove to an all-night diner, ordered a cup of hot coco, drank it slowly. Then calmly asked the waitress to use the phone. Called 911, said "I've just killed a satanist punk rocker, come arrest me." He went quietly with the cops when they arrived.

It all sounds like something out of a friggin' movie, but it's all true. I'm sure your dad at least heard about it, it was HUGE news in Western New York.

One of my professors at "JHS 13th grade" even wrote a book that mentions all this. Book is called "The Satanic Panic":

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Panic-Creation-Contemporary-Legend/dp/081269192X/

Jamestown = good place to not be.

-- MWD, about as geographically and mentally as far from Jamestown as one can be and still be an American.
:celebrate:celebrate

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:

Very odd!

Jamestown, NY, good place to not be, as you've figured out by relocating to Pennsylvania!

Ask your dad if he knew Dwayne Bowles. Dwayne was my friend, the guitar player in my band and we were house mates. Dwayne was murdered by a guy named Brian in 1985. Brian came into the house (I wasn't there, I'd just moved to Virginia), shot Dwayne, his friend since childhood, and killed him. For no reason at all.

Brian tried to kill the rest of the roommates, all childhood friends of his too. They jumped out the 2nd floor window and ran away.

Brian left and drove to an all-night diner, ordered a cup of hot coco, drank it slowly. Then calmly asked the waitress to use the phone. Called 911, said "I've just killed a satanist punk rocker, come arrest me." He went quietly with the cops when they arrived.

It all sounds like something out of a friggin' movie, but it's all true. I'm sure your dad at least heard about it, it was HUGE news in Western New York.

One of my professors at "JHS 13th grade" even wrote a book that mentions all this. Book is called "The Satanic Panic":

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Panic-Creation-Contemporary-Legend/dp/081269192X/

Jamestown = good place to not be.

-- MWD, about as geographically and mentally as far from Jamestown as one can be and still be an American.
:celebrate:celebrate
Yeah, I'm familiar with it.

I'm trying to talk my grandmother into leaving Jamestown and coming down to PA where almost the entire family is, but good luck selling the house there, even if it IS on the lake...