• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new toy

gunman

imported post

Just bought a new carry pistol. high point 9mm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions about that make of hand gun. never mind just found the other post on high points.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

LOL.

NM the NM....

Glocks look like a brick.

Hi-point IS the brick.

Other than polishing the feed ramp, and a little longer break in than normal, I haven't heard anything bad about them...

rds801

imported post

I have a Hi-Point. I love it. It does what it's suppose to do when you pull the trigger. It is my carry pistol.

JBinMontana

imported post

If it is all you can afford to get you along, then fine. I know they go bang everytime you pull the trigger and are backed up by one of the best CS Warranty replacements for parts and service in the industry.

autosurgeon

imported post

I have the C9 9mm pistol and the 995 9mm carbine and both of them are very reliable and accurate as well.

Polish that feed ramp and keep the mags clean and you shouldn't have too many problems.

Also I have found that Federal Tactical HST and Federal Hydroshocks seem to feed the best for carry ammo. They have a rather pointy hollow point compared to some others.

If you do run into problems here are the links to a couple of forums dedicated to Hi Points.

http://www.hipointtalk.com
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

KansasMustang

imported post

Just me sayin' it,,bein an old stick in the mud. But no weapon I ever owned did I ever consider a toy. They are inanimate objects that when in the hands of the wrong (or right) person are lethal (in the right hands), and dangerous (in the wrong hands). I do however consider the joy you have at owning your weapon. It means you now can excersize your right to self determination. Great! And I'm sure you will become proficient with said firearm and it will bring you inner peace. Remember what IT and you stand for! Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Keep your powder dry!

gunman

imported post

Took my new c9 9mm to the range today, i love it fired two hundred rounds through it never jamed'fired every round perfect,a very accurate pistol,it is now my new full time oc weapon.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Gun man what kind of ammo did you fire through your C9?
Tomorrow I am actully going to buy one,I dont have alot of cash but the factory is about 40 mins away from where I live. Irony is that is barley any gun stores sell them in the Akron Area totally confused. I would think there would be a factory store here or somethin since Akron is the closest city to mansfield.
Well im looking foward to tomorrow.yayy

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Guns, much like hammers and wrenches are tools, not toys.

I buy some tools from harbor freight with the understanding that the thing is probably going to snap in half after a few uses.

If I was to keep a tool, I buy Craftsman.

If I want to defend my life with a pistol, I buy Glock.

Bustelo5%

imported post

OK BS Why Glock why not Baretta like my pops in the Army carried? I guess why do you think they are so good. I do think they are great more for the simplistic nature of them with like what 5 parts I think thats pretty cool. But 500 for a gun right now is alot.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I buy some tools from harbor freight with the understanding that the thing is probably going to snap in half after a few uses.

If I was to keep a tool, I buy Craftsman.

If I want to defend my life with a pistol, I buy Glock.

Get outta my head!!:shock:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
OK BS Why Glock why not Baretta like my pops in the Army carried? I guess why do you think they are so good. I do think they are great more for the simplistic nature of them with like what 5 parts I think thats pretty cool. But 500 for a gun right now is alot.

I went down the same road..

Bypassed the hi-point and bought a used PT-92 for 275$...

The PT-92 is damn near identical to the Beretta M9/92FS with the exception of the frame mounted safety instead of the slide mounted safety. It's even made at a former Beretta factory in Brazil, with Beretta molds....

I had it for about 8 months, saved up some more money, then sold it and used my other saved cash to get a Glock 17.... I upgraded the 17 now a year later to the G21SF, and couldn't be happier.

I started with 9mm because of the inexpensive rounds (compared to .45) and I wanted to get as much training/practice as possible.... I put about 100 rounds down range every week, at a minimum, for the past almost 2 years.... That's a lot of ammo.. Once I was comfortable, and didn't feel the need to go to the range once a week, I bought my .45, and that's what I'll stick to ;)

rmansu2

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Bustelo5% wrote:

The PT-92 is damn near identical to the Beretta M9/92FS with the exception of the frame mounted safety instead of the slide mounted safety. It's even made at a former Beretta factory in Brazil, with Beretta molds....

I had it for about 8 months, saved up some more money, then sold it and used my other saved cash to get a Glock 17.... I upgraded the 17 now a year later to the G21SF, and couldn't be happier.

I started with 9mm because of the inexpensive rounds (compared to .45) and I wanted to get as much training/practice as possible.... I put about 100 rounds down range every week, at a minimum, for the past almost 2 years.... That's a lot of ammo.. Once I was comfortable, and didn't feel the need to go to the range once a week, I bought my .45, and that's what I'll stick to ;)

So you put 10,000 rounds though a gun a sold it, only to buy a different caliber?

Have you at least been practicing with the new gun. I don't mean to criticize but i just seems that if i were gonna put 10,000rds through a gun so that I could be proficient with it I wouldn't change to a different caliber without at least planing to do something of similar proportion with the new gun. Just my 2 cents.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Bustelo5% wrote:

So you put 10,000 rounds though a gun a sold it, only to buy a different caliber?

Have you at least been practicing with the new gun. I don't mean to criticize but i just seems that if i were gonna put 10,000rds through a gun so that I could be proficient with it I wouldn't change to a different caliber without at least planing to do something of similar proportion with the new gun. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry took so long to reply... I was out at the range..

Hope that answers your question..

:lol:

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well I completely understand and that makes me want to choose differently,I just wish there were gun makers who had more affordable prices.I work for a living and after being unemployed for almost 7months to have the job I have now making about 750 a month im pretty blessed.
I saw a bersa 380 for about 270 at the store today that seemed pretty nice.
I think I might just save up and wait instead of going the cheap and easy route for my first gun,idk.
That reminds me I didnt even check the price of ammo for a 45 at the store,I have been pricing 9mm ammo because that was my first choice till someone bought that c9 blah:cuss:. its time to research.
Thanks for the replies.

Erus

imported post

We've got the Bersa Thunder .380. Great little gun. Paid about the same for it, too. But.. .380 ammo is spendy, WHEN you can find it.
Just a heads up.

Bustelo5%

imported post

What website would you guys suggest for cheap ammo 45 acp?
Omg I saw the sexiest thing this taurus 40 cal it was more like a beretta idk it was one of the first taurus that I liked very stripped down,more like a hardcore chick in a pit wailing away lol I hope someone who is hardcore got that.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
What website would you guys suggest for cheap ammo 45 acp?
Omg I saw the sexiest thing this taurus 40 cal it was more like a beretta idk it was one of the first taurus that I liked very stripped down,more like a hardcore chick in a pit wailing away lol I hope someone who is hardcore got that.

Taurus PT-99

It's essentially the 96F with a frame mounted safety instead of a slide mounted safety... Made at an old Beretta plant in Brazil with Beretta molds...

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Some of you really need to lighten up. No one here honestly thinks of firearms as "toys" and the term was being used generally by the OP to describe an object that is fun to use. It's a "toy" in the same respect any hobby item is, be it a muscle car or a computer.