• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How important OC is to me

MichaelWDean

imported post

Here's how important open carry is to me and mine:

Me and my wife are moving from California to Wyoming largely be able to open carry. She quit a great job of 15 years in a bad economy. Gave up medical and insurance benefits. Trying to sell our house in a bad economy. Starting over in a new state looking for job in a bad economy. We're leaving a place you can walk around in shorts in December. Paying to move and rent elsewhere in a place it can snow in May.

We are not rich. It is an economic hardship and a financial risk to move, but we're doing it.

I love open carry. It is the most free and happy I've ever felt in my life.

Some wank posted on my blog on my open carry photos, "Gee you look tough with your gun."

I replied, "I don't feel tough. I feel free. And I feel safe."

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
It is the most free I've ever felt as well.

I know!

I feel nothing macho about it. I feel less macho and more free and protected. "Macho" is based on fear. Free and protected is based on ability and training.

First time I open carried I felt I was walking on the moon. In a good way.

MWD

XD40coyote

imported post

For me OC is like when women were burning their bras in the early 70's. LOL

It is a liberating thing. But for me it also takes some nerves of steel. So many years of being conditioned is hard to shake off.

I am happy to sayI OC'd last sunday in PA with another OCer, for hours, was around all sorts of people, someI KNOW werealso fellow MDers, we even OC'd past the police station TWICE LOL, and nobody seemed to notice or care. Didn't see a single cop either ( that station is like a tomb).

MichaelWDean

imported post

Your avatar can beat up my avatar!

(Though while mine is sniffing .233s, he doesn't have fingers so he cannot operate a firearm.)

I recorded coyotes out my window eating a bunny or cat last night. They were about 20 feet from the house, whole pack of 'em. If anyone wants me to post an MP3, let me know.

NightOwl

imported post

You might want to consider Idaho as a moving option. Great gun laws here, and the politicians are pretty well in support of gun rights. Similarly crappy weather. Houses are pretty cheap, coming from CA you might have enough $$ to get into one in/around the Boise area.

Otherwise, GL in Wyoming.

MichaelWDean

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Be advised that Wyoming does not have state preemption. Open carry may be made illegal by local ordinances. Casper (and Cheyenne) do NOT prohibit open carry, but some Wyoming towns do.
This is absolutely false. Wyoming DOES have preemption.

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
MichaelWDean wrote:
This is absolutely false. Wyoming DOES have preemption. MWD
Make an effective citation please.
OK.
http://www.opencarry.org/wy.html

"Wyoming is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is constitutionally protected and law enforcement is aware of its legality."

If that's not good enough, I'll look up the state statues on the state site later when I get back from the range.

There is an interesting law here against carrying a dangerous concealed animal. lol....

MWD

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
Here's the really funny part of Wyoming weapons law:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/titles/Title6/T6CH1AR1.htm

(iv)"Deadly weapon" means but is not limited to a firearm, explosive or incendiary material, motorized vehicle, an animal or other device,....

So, no concealed animals or vehicles in Wyoming, folks....

MWD
Not even a concealed car???? :cuss:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's about making choices in our lives. We often find ourselves having to decide whither we take the easy road or one that is harder. Often times, the easy road doesn't take us where we want to go.

The path of liberty and freedom has always been a rather difficult one.But the view is so much better.

MatieA

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
we even OC'd past the police station TWICE LOL, and nobody seemed to notice or care.
Don't know if someone's posted this or not, but here's a video of someone in New Hampshire Free State Project open carrying IN a police station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrhmhxDd1S4
I open carry in police stations all the time. Was open carrying when I renewed my CDL, delivering Girl Scout cookies to the Highway Patrol office, and in my local PD all the time. You cannot however conceal carry into a law enforcement building without prior authorization from whomever is in charge.