• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYC Premises License status

Infowars

imported post

I am a Queens resident and was curious as to how difficult it is currently to obtain the restricted premises ONLY license. I am really interested in having the use of a firearm to go to the range and practice. This license as I understand it enables me to legally own the handgun and transport it to the range (unloaded/separate from ammo in locked containers) in trunk of my car. That is fine as the gun ranges do NOT rent guns for use on the ranges (Long Island Shooting Center in Islip as an example)

Looking for any info from those who recently applied and what was the outcome?
How long did it take and did you feel it was difficult with discouragement and run around from the powers that be?

ON a side note, I currently have a Virginia Non-resident permit CHL and also applied for a Florida CWL ( I have Florida residence as well) but live mainly in NYC area. I own two handguns and they are stored safely in Florida.

If I were to apply for the NYC permit would my out of state licenses/permits (VA & Florida) be an issue? What about my two handguns which I already own (Legally) and are kept in Florida - do I have to indicate this anywhere on the license application?
I do not intend to bring those to NY. If I am granted the permit I will look towards purchasing one that will remain here in NY with me so I can use it at the range.

I don't want to waste the $340 fee which is non-refundable plus the fingerprinting fee which is another $100.

My VA and Florida permits together with 2 sets of prints cost me less then the NYC license would alone. Hence I don't want to bother if it has gotten worse trying to apply in such anti-gun NYC times...

Incidentally my brother who previously had a NYC permit and recently expired was denied even for the premises range permit during renewal:shock:...so have things in general gotten more difficult for us all?

or maybe just screw it and pack my bags and head SOUTH...

Thanks for the input.

redlegagent

imported post

I would recommend you talk to your local law enforcement. You can have permits for all 49 other states - it's irrelevent as far as NYS is concerned. NYC - as you well know - has it's own firearms laws. Despite the fact that the rest of the nation has seen some softening on gun restrictions, NYC whistles it's own tune. If they don't want you to have it - you won't get it. ;)

WheelGun

imported post

If you are 100% clean, you will eventually get a NYC premises permit.

However, you should not confuse the licensing bureau by providing extraneous information thatthey are not asking for.

Keep your answers honest, but simple and straightforward.

If they ask you if you own firearms, they are asking if you own any that are located in NY State, particularly within NYC. If they ask you if you have any other permits, they are asking you if you have another permit within NY State.

If they ask you if you live in NYC full time, and you spend a few weeks a year in a cabin out of state, then you live in NYC full time. Period.

If you live out of state full time and you share a room in NYC part time, no good. No permit.

Be prepared to provide documentation of year-round residence. Having your kids in NYC schools is excellent. A boss that can vouch for your wherabouts most of the year (in or around NYC) can work as well. Summers spent somewhere else is no problem.

As far as having out-of NY pistol licenses; they do not care about a slip of paper in your pocket that says you can hike with a handgun in Podunk. They don't care what you do in Podunk. Only if you live in Podunk most of the year. That they don't like.

They also don't care if you were an altar boy, Boy Scout, U.S. Marine, etc.

Stick to Joe Friday's 'Just the Facts, Ma'am'

Infowars

imported post

Thanks for the responses. My record is very clean so no problems in that department it's just the extraneous information. For instance in Section B of the NYC application, question #19 (Yes & No check boxes):

Had or applied for any type of license or permit issued to you by any City, State or Federal agency?

Notice the questions asks ANY state. I would assume in my case it would be "yes" as I currently have the VA CHL and I should be receiving my Florida CWL next month based on the DOACS backlogged time line for processing new applications.

If I don't have to reveal the extra information that is not relevant then I will definitely NOT but I don't want to get rejected due to a serious error of omission by mistake.
Anybody have a definite clarification on that question based on personal experience?

WheelGun

imported post

Then answer the question 'Yes.'

If they require an explanation, simply say "I applied for (give the date) and was approved for a non-resident pistol permitfrom the State of Virginia. It is/is not currently valid."

If they ask you to explain further, politely stick to the above. The reason why is none of their business. You applied for a non-res permit. You were issued the permit. Period.

yankees98a

imported post

Any type of license can be a driver license as well. It's a trick question. People who check no and have a drivers license are lying and can be denied..

Infowars

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Any type of license can be a driver license as well. It's a trick question. People who check no and have a drivers license are lying and can be denied..
Interesting - Florida actually has what is called a "Florida ONLY" drivers license which is valid only within the state of Florida. This was because so many people manly"northerners" especially us NY'ers are "snowbirds" people who live in both areas and migrate to Florida during the winter months and then when the summer arrives return to NY. Many retired people do this and those who rent seasonally. I actually have a Florida Only DL and also a NY license - both are valid and when I am in Florida I use my Florida license as I have legal residence there.

From Florida DMV:

Part-time Resident
Drivers who hold a Class E license and are part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only."

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/geninfo.html

So this would probably be an issue with NY and most likely a cause for denial since it seems very likely "THEY" will look for any means to deny the permit. My Florida DL and my Florida CWL (concealed carry) would be enough to cause an issue it seems if that is the case. Especially true considering NY is the ONLY state that does not have any reciprocity for concealed carry with any other state I believe. :X

yankees98a

imported post

You are reading too much into things. The point is to trick you into saying no when you have a NY Drivers License. Just answer honestly (YES) and if asked what put a brief/short answer saying NY DMV, Out of State Non Resident CCws etc. As the person said above, don't write a book...

In your case it would be yes anyway... do u might want to add I also have a nyc driver license if that's what type of license you are asking about.

WheelGun

imported post

Off topic, but no, New York is not the only state that has no reciprocity with any other state. New Jersey and Massachusetts are two states that do not have reciprocity.

The writer of the original post needs to remember that law enforcement officers, especially those that work in the pistol bureau in headquarters, are bureaucrats first, cops second. They are lazy, and will not look formuch that you yourself do not hint at first.

If, as I said earlier, you glide through the questions, answering truthfully 'yes' or 'no' to each, suspicions will not be raised where there should not be any.

However, if you once had a fishing license for the stream outside of your cabin twelve states away from NY, and when the question 'Have you ever had a license' comes up, and you start to sweat and squirm and fuss over the answer, the licensing officer will know they have someone they can screw with.

Keep it truthful but simple. Stop sweating.