• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milton Gun Ban

Pointman

imported post

Gun-carry ordinance put on hold in Milton
http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/jun/17/gun-carry-ordinance-put-hold-milton/
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Some Milton City Council members have mixed feelings about a proposed change to its gun-carry ordinance, but the state isn't giving them much choice, members said. The council tabled a first reading Tuesday of an ordinance that would allow residents to openly carry guns in public. Mayor Tom Chesmore said the item was tabled until the next meeting because the public safety committee wasn't ready to give a recommendation. He said he hoped to hear that recommendation at the next meeting.

The ordinance would bring Milton in line with state and federal guidelines, Police Chief Jerry Schuetz said. Current city ordinance says you can't carry guns anywhere, even on your own property, he said. But an opinion released in April by Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen says people have the right to openly carry weapons. "The Department of Justice believes that the mere open carrying of a firearm by a person, absent additional facts and circumstances, should not result in a disorderly conduct charge from a prosecutor," he wrote. The opinion followed the case of a West Allis man ticketed on a disorderly conduct charge while doing yard work with a holstered gun. He was acquitted in February.

The proposed Milton ordinance would prohibit carrying guns in public buildings, school zones and places where alcohol is sold and consumed. Private property and business owners also would be able to prohibit guns on their property, Schuetz said. That leaves open public areas such as sidewalks and parks and private property where the owners haven't prohibited guns. Residents still would not be able to fire guns anywhere except shooting ranges and would not be able to carry concealed guns.

Wisconsin and Illinois are the only states in the country that don't allow concealed gun carry.

Council member David Adams said he's uncomfortable with the proposed ordinance but doesn't think the council has a choice. "I have nothing against hunters and that, but this is a ridiculous extreme," he said. "What on earth does anybody have to carry a weapon for? I can't think of a good reason."

Brett Frazier said the ordinance balances public safety with the people's right to bear arms. "Everyone feels it's sort of staying within the spirit of that (attorney general) opinion but also making sure that we've laid out specifically where you are absolutely not allowed to carry guns," he said.

Frazier said he's a little concerned about the increasing drug problem in Milton and how the carrying of guns might affect that. On the other hand, law-abiding people should be able to own and carry weapons, he said. But he doesn't think many people carry guns in Milton, anyway, he said. "I don't know how many people have gone walking down the streets of Milton with a gun in a holster, but I haven't heard of any," he said.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah.... the "nothing against hunting" thing again...

Council member David Adams said he's uncomfortable with the proposed ordinance but doesn't think the council has a choice.

"I have nothing against hunters and that, but this is a ridiculous extreme," he said. "What on earth does anybody have to carry a weapon for? I can't think of a good reason."

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Pointman wrote:
Council member David Adams said he's uncomfortable with the proposed ordinance but doesn't think the council has a choice. "I have nothing against hunters and that, but this is a ridiculous extreme," he said. "What on earth does anybody have to carry a weapon for? I can't think of a good reason."
Then he ought to introduce an ordinance to disarm their police force.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

But he doesn't think many people carry guns in Milton, anyway, he said. "I don't know how many people have gone walking down the streets of Milton with a gun in a holster, but I haven't heard of any," he said.
hmmmm who lives close to milton that wants to go for a walk?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I had to read through that articletwice , and I still do not understand if they are trying to delete a preempted town ordinance, or they are trying to enact an ordinance becuase of this sentance " tabled a first reading Tuesday of an ordinance that would allow residents to openly carry guns in public".

And then this one "The proposed Milton ordinance would prohibit carrying guns in public buildings, school zones and places where alcohol is sold and consumed"

I am guessing that they realized their firearm banning ordinance needs to be rmoved, and they are upset about. Ummm, why wasn't it removed 12 years ago?? Oh, could it be that Dingleberry-Doyle was the A.G.? and diecided that 66.049 gives people too much control?

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups..

"What on earth does anybody have to carry a weapon for? I can't think of a good reason."

is milton pd unarmed? absolutely no crime? kids still play with the hoop and stick?

this guy needs to take a step outside and try this new thing called reality..

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

exactly!

my guess is that milton has a large fence that keeps animals like that out. :p

(any anti-gun people please read aloud)
of course if you were to run into a rabid animal on your job through town.. the cops will be there because they are always around.
(do you see how dumb that sounds? )
do you expect to call the police while this (possibly) rabid animal is attacking you? let it chew on your arm while you grab your cell phone? and hope that it is working at the time?

I, for one, can not and will not depend on someone else to save my life. the only person who HAS to watch out for me is me. and i will use whatever means i have to do that.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

milton gov must think that its somehow seperate from the rest of the state/country.

i just hope the citizens there dont feel the same way.. and will stand up against this.

Decoligny

imported post

How about to defend yourself from the Heroin Dealers. Apparently they have some sort of drug problem in Milton.

Milton Officials Fighting Youth Heroin Use
Authorities Say Heroin Linked To 11 Deaths In County

MILTON, Wis. -- Officials in a small town in southern Wisconsin are trying to address heroin use in their community after three eighth-grade boys overdosed on the drug last month.

Police officers in Milton, located about 35 miles southeast of Madison, spoke at a school assembly at the middle school last week to talk about heroin. Police Lt. John Conger said the assembly was an attempt to scare the students about the drug's dangers.

Conger said heroin has been linked to 11 deaths in 13 months in Rock County.

According to police, the incident last month happened after one of the boys allegedly stole powdered heroin from the mother of one of the other boys.

An adult heroin user who was near the park where the boys overdosed apparently saved one boy's life by injecting him with a drug that counteracts the heroin.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/19686251/detail.html

Or how about for protection against cougar attack? They apparently have them out there in Milton.

Cougar Sighting Near Milton?
Katie DeLong

MILTON - Wisconsin has a lot of wildlife, but we don't see a lot of big cats in the wild.

However, out near Madison, cougar sightings are on the rise.

The latest report comes from Milton in Rock County. There is a picture of tracks left behind by an animal.

The state DNR says the tracks could have been made by a cougar.

“Their primary food source is deer and we see good deer numbers in this mixed open habitat, open scattered woodland area. If there was an area that would be a good habitat to find a cougar, this would be one,” DNR Biologist Doug Fendry said.

The DNR plans to keep looking for the animal that made the tracks.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/14025217.html

Looks to me like there are many reasons to be carrying a firearm in Milton.

Woodchuck

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Gun-carry ordinance put on hold in Milton
http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/jun/17/gun-carry-ordinance-put-hold-milton/
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The proposed Milton ordinance would prohibit carrying guns in public buildings, school zones and places where alcohol is sold and consumed. Private property and business owners also would be able to prohibit guns on their property, Schuetz said. That leaves open public areas such as sidewalks and parks and private property where the owners haven't prohibited guns. Residents still would not be able to fire guns anywhere except shooting ranges and would not be able to carry concealed gun.

Anyone tell these waterheads that state law already covers ALL of this . Their really wasting valuable oxygen, ink, paper and taxpayer $ discussing this.

No1

Banned
imported post

izza local cop commissioned to enforce state law

mabe the town wants the case wants the fine

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No1 wrote:
izza local cop commissioned to enforce state law

mabe the town wants the case wants the fine

No1, (yeah I know who you really are but your secrets safe with me:cool:) I think you are right.

I see no problem if they just copy the state statutes on trespassing and allow the local comunity to collect the fine. That's all they should do though, copy the existing statutes and leave it at that. It's a win win winsituation that way. We win because it is the same as it was before, the city wins because they get the money, and the anti's think they won because they are to dumb to know that the law already existed.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
But he doesn't think many people carry guns in Milton, anyway, he said. "I don't know how many people have gone walking down the streets of Milton with a gun in a holster, but I haven't heard of any," he said.
I wonder how much money Milton has on the books. :lol:

protias

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:

I could go for a walk. I need the exercise anyway.