• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Jobs in Whatcom County?

Magister

imported post

Howdy everyone. First off im sorry if this is too OT for this section and if it needs to be removed, I totally understand. I'll make it short. Jobs. Just got my third layoff in a row, though I knew this one was coming (BP refinery job), and I just cant find anything near 40 hours a week that pays more than $8 an hour. I check the herald, worksource, craigslist, etc. many times a day and I apply a lot, but there are just so many people layed off and hunting, the competition is a killer. :banghead: If anyone knows of any places in the area that need someone who shows up every day, just plain refuses to take days off for any reason (money lost! no can do!), id really appreciate it. Unemployment is about out but I just plain hate having to get those checks in the first place. Ive dont security at the mall for a bit, various little things here and there, but mainly driving for various places either as a shuttle, taxi, etc. Id really like to get my CDL B or something down the road but that costs $$$. So, if anyone has any leads, sees any good looking now hiring signs, yadda yadda, im all ears! Thanks folks and again, sorry if its too OT for the forums.

Oh, forgot to add. Ive lived / have grandparents still in the tri-cities. Anyone know what that area looks like job wise at the moment? Preferably Kennewick/Richland. Rather not cross into Pasco if I can get away with it. Dont know how id get there but Bellingham just drives me nuts anymore. WAY too many people my age group (23-25) job hunting. Thanks!

Nitrox314

imported post

Should see if A.T. (Armored Transport) is still hiring. They were paying 11 an hour a while back. Your security background might help as well. (I think AT may be armed as well, but not sure).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Try highline ashphalt in Mt. Vernon...he pays $14-20. Ask for Sean he is the owner I built his offices in his whare house of exit 226. He is kind of a quirky guy but decent and pays well.

P.S. I might have the name wrong...but he does ads in Skagit craigslist all the time.

I am not sure of his feelings on personal protection carry, but he is an avid hunter.

cdjspider

imported post

Well, I do have an idea and I cant promise that it will work but hell its worth a try. I'm assuming you were laid of from there do to the global economy sucking atm. If thats true atm you should look into Trade Adjustment Assistance provided under the Trade Act which states:

"The TAA program helps workers who have lost their jobs as a result of foreign trade. The TAA program offers a variety of benefits and services to eligible workers, including job training, income support, job search and relocation allowances, a tax credit to help pay the costs of health insurance, and a wage supplement to certain reemployed trade-affected workers"

This is what I am trying to get into sense I was laid off from alcoa. Although, in my case sense I didn't work there for to long, or was it I waited to long, I dont get the money that usually comes with it. However, I should be getting a full 2 year trip through college for free.

As you mentioned you said your unemployment was running out? Have you tried to file for an extension? Again, I'm going off what I was told when I went in, they said that when my Indiana unemployment dries up I can file for WA unemployment and file for an extension which should get me through my schooling.

Anyways, If this sounds like something you want to try I suggest you give Erika Smith a call at 360-676-3238, she works over at WorkSource and has been a big help to me getting the help I needed.:)

Magister

imported post

Would this TAA program even apply if the last job only lasted about 3-4 weeks? I went in knowing it would be a short temp job but they were laying people off daily in batches and I my group was told we were going to have 4-5 more weeks. It sucked because thats almost 1k a week. Im just the lowly laborer. Oops, I should add that I dont have a "profession" really. Ive just had a bunch of entry level jobs here and there, usually 2-3 at a time. Id would be awesome to find something Bellingham but I dont mind the surrounding area, like Ferndale / Lynden, etc. I miss biking to work. No gas and a free workout. My body sure could use it.

SVG - Thanks for the Burlington contact but Im not the greatest physical laborer. Electronics is more my area. I was so far out of my element at the refinery. Plus zero upper body strength :p. I run a lot but maybe I should do some weights or something. Plus, I dont think my car would make it. No suspension left, almost no brakes left, and approx. 16-17mpg freeway. There goes all my money in gas. :?

Nitrox - Just did the initial phone in thingy for AT / Garda. Didnt know they were all one big company with a bunch of names. Lets hope I get a call back. This would be especially good for me. The security and firearm experience is a plus AND I really wanted my CDL B.

I take it that TAA program, if I was approved for it, would cover atleast the little community college classes to get a CDL B and maybe hazmat endorsement? Ive seen a couple propane companies hiring and they pay darn nice, atleast compared to what im used to. Just watch... the second I get a license, nobody will be hiring. Oh well, par for the course with my luck! Thanks folks!

cdjspider

imported post

Heck, I was just temp work too. Actually, I worked at Alcoa through Manpower and was only there about 3 weeks before the laid me off too so I dont think how long you worked there will be much of a problem. I'd give it a shot, all they can do is tell you no.

As for you last question, yes they should pay for you to get what ever licensing or what not you try to get. The whole idea of the program is to get out of work people effected by the global economy trained and back to work. If mine clears I plan on using it to finish my degree in computer information systems.

On a side note, finding a job around here is a pain. All, i've been able to find are minimum wage part time jobs....3 months without work and no sign of it changing anytime soon :(

Magister

imported post

Haha, we sound pretty similar. Fellow computer person myself but I just dont know if its something I could do day in and day out. Im already the family and friends of the family who Ive never met before's "tech support". They usually dont pay but I just hate saying no. Plus its free experience, minus gas. Theres days when I love it... and days when I was to drag someones terrible crusty old Dell out back and put some 00 buck through it. I just cant stand programming. Tried it and about 3 minutes in, I was so bored that I wanted to beat my face into a wall.

cdjspider

imported post

Magister wrote:
Haha, we sound pretty similar. Fellow computer person myself but I just dont know if its something I could do day in and day out. Im already the family and friends of the family who Ive never met before's "tech support". They usually dont pay but I just hate saying no. Plus its free experience, minus gas. Theres days when I love it... and days when I was to drag someones terrible crusty old Dell out back and put some 00 buck through it. I just cant stand programming. Tried it and about 3 minutes in, I was so bored that I wanted to beat my face into a wall.
I feel your pain, just got a call from a relative trying to install vista today:cry:. Also, shooting a computer.....I've done it......its was fun and felt good .:)

p.s. Keyboards are the best to shoot, their keys go flying everywhere.

Nitrox314

imported post

Magister wrote:
Nitrox - Just did the initial phone in thingy for AT / Garda. Didnt know they were all one big company with a bunch of names. Lets hope I get a call back. This would be especially good for me. The security and firearm experience is a plus AND I really wanted my CDL B.
Good luck! :) It's funny, I was going to apply when I got off Active Duty, but I got an IT job instead as a contractor. I noticed you mentioned you know your way around a computer. IT work can be fun at times, if you get the right job.

Magister

imported post

So Ive heard.... though to be honest I enjoy just plain assembling computers the most. Im always encouraging people to build their own or have me build it for them so long as they arent buying the absolutel cheapest store bought crate. Im just not looking forward to the OS portion of the A+ if I went that route. :banghead:

Just got the call that I passed the video testing phase for the WTAand im headed on to interview stage 1 (of 2). Only 4 people will make it to the job with 2 being part timers. Cant stand their union setup and Im pretty sure I'll get fired within a week for telling some mouthy brats or typical bellingham idiots to shut it or get the hell off my bus. Theyre way too nice to the idiot types it seems. But, during the 8 week training its $14.25 an hour, 40 hours a week, and during that they pay for your CDL. I think its a CDL A with passenger endorsement for the large buses. They train so that all drivers can drive anything on site. At the very least, its 8 weeks of good pay and a free CDL. Once I pass that training, if things dont look good I can easily hop into something else driving related.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! The usual job sources like the herald, worksource, and craigslist are just dismal anymore. You walk into a $8 per hour job and youve got 10 people applying ahead of you.