• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No need for a gun"?????????

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/48423592.html?video=YHI&t=a

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/48428987.html

Milwaukee officers shoot and kill coyote overnight
By Linda Spice of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 18, 2009 7:02 a.m.

Concerns that a coyote might have been rabid led Milwaukee police to shoot the animal early Thursday as it came toward officers on Lincoln Memorial Drive.

Police reported that officers in the area came upon the animal in the 1700 block of Lincoln Memorial Drive about 3:30 a.m. The coyote made a movement toward officers before it was shot.

Officers received an alert earlier in the year about an increased population of coyotes migrating into the Milwaukee area, and they have received sporadic calls from citizens about sightings, according to police. There was also worry about leaving the animal in an area used by joggers early in the morning, according to police.

No officers were hurt.

Video from TMJ4

------

So the next time someone says you don't need a gun while jogging/walking your dog/planting a tree in your yard, add this to the list of reasons. (as if protecting yourself from thugs and criminals and all of the crimes around milwaukee aren't enough of a reason)

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

June 18th... Nope, No need for a gun in Milwaukee. Who would need a gun in a candy store?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/48293307.html

Shopkeeper, 77, shot dead in northwest side robbery attempt
By Jesse Garza of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 17, 2009

Jeffrey Phelps
Milwaukee police investigate the death of a 77-year-old shopkeeper Wednesday in the 8300 block of W. Silver Spring Drive. Witnesses reported seeing a man running south from the store after the shooting.

A 77-year-old shopkeeper who sold candy and other snacks at a store on Milwaukee's northwest side and was known to neighborhood children as "Grandpa" was shot to death during a robbery attempt Wednesday evening.

The shooting was reported at 5:25 p.m. at the Silver Spring Variety Store, 8305 W. Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee police Deputy Inspector Gregory Thompson said at the scene.

According to Thompson, paramedics found the man with a gunshot wound to the chest. Their attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Witnesses reported seeing a man running south from the store after the shooting. Police were searching for the man Wednesday evening, Thompson said.

Marcia Goins, 49, said her mother operates a small business that shares space with the victim's store. Goins' mother, 79, sells Avon products and T-shirts, and the victim sold candy, soda and other items, Goins said.

According to Goins, her mother called her to report that the store owner had been shot.

Goins said her mother saw that the door to the victim's store was ajar and heard a man demanding money. The mother then heard the victim order someone out of his store before she heard gunfire.

A yellow tarp covering the victim's body could be seen on the parking lot in front of the business Wednesday evening.

Goins said that on good days, the victim might sell only about $40 worth of merchandise.

"He was just the kindest old man in the whole world," Goins said. "All he wanted to do was sell candy."

Goins said the victim was retired and operated the store for more than 10 years. He and Goins' mother also sold items at area flea markets, Goins said.

"It's a sad day for the city of Milwaukee for something like this to happen to one of the kindest old men you could know," Goins said.

Farrah Walker, 32, found the store blocked off with yellow police tape when she arrived to buy candy with her two young children less than an hour after the shooting.

"I thought, 'I hope it's not him,' " Walker said.

She said the store was a popular spot for neighborhood children, who often dumped change on the counter before pointing out the items they wanted, and receiving free popcorn, too.

"If you didn't have enough money for what you needed, he'd tell you to catch him the next time," Walker said.

He was patient with young children and respectful toward neighborhood teenagers, who got along with him, Walker said.

"He was, like, the nicest person you could ever know," Walker said. "For him to stay here as long as he did, he was really dedicated to the neighborhood."

While Walker spoke, her 5-year-old daughter hopped up and down, telling her mother she wanted candy.

"We can't get candy anymore, sweetheart," Walker told her daughter. "Grandpa's in heaven now."

Ryan Haggerty of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

patriotguy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
'Coyote' may also refer to (sub) humans and that may also be 'rabid'. Too bad all suspected coyotes can't be shot by legally armed citizens.

Suspicion of rabidness is confirmed by PCR or virus culture of brain tissue taken after death.
I was thinking the same thing.

If you listen to the tmj4 report on the video, or read the journal story, and replace "criminal" with "coyote", wouldn't that be business as usual for Milwaukee?

patriotguy

imported post

The story about the 77 year old shopkeeper shot and killed by the thug criminal kind of hits home. I grew up in the neighborhood right behind that shopping center on 83rd and Silver Spring. That was a great area to grow up in.

I don't mean to be disrespectful here, and my condolences go to the family, but according to Greenfield and South Milwaukee common councils, if that shopkeeper had a sign posted saying "no guns allowed", would he have not been a victim? Would the thug criminal have seen the sign and walked away? Conversely, if someone exercising their right to OC, expecially the shopkeeper, had been in the store, would the outcome have been different?

Woodchuck

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Too bad all suspected coyotes can't be shot by legally armed citizens.

You can be standing over a crippled deer freshly hit by a car, it's back & 3 legs clearly broken, 8 witnesses and they tell you they will get you for poaching if you put it out of its misery. But the LEO's can pop a yotey with no real reason except that it "might" be rabid. Gonna tell that to the sheriff next time I'm standing over a crippled deer.

AaronS

imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

You can be standing over a crippled deer freshly hit by a car, it's back & 3 legs clearly broken, 8 witnesses and they tell you they will get you for poaching if you put it out of its misery. But the LEO's can pop a yotey with no real reason except that it "might" be rabid. Gonna tell that to the sheriff next time I'm standing over a crippled deer.

A few years back I stopped at a dear hit (up in Pulaski), and was asked if I could help. I went in my truck, and pulled out my little .38. Thought it was a bit small, but it did the job, in one close shot. Put it away, and went on my way.

I think it was the right thing to do... At the time...

Now I carry a larger gun...
;)

Woodchuck

imported post

AaronS wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

A few years back I stopped at a dear hit (up in Pulaski), and was asked if I could help.  I went in my truck, and pulled out my little .38.  Thought it was a bit small, but it did the job, in one close shot.  Put it away, and went on my way. 

;)

Absolutely agree, you did the right thing. Problem is, the right thing isn't the legal thing to do.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

A few years back I stopped at a dear hit (up in Pulaski), and was asked if I could help. I went in my truck, and pulled out my little .38. Thought it was a bit small, but it did the job, in one close shot. Put it away, and went on my way.

;)

Absolutely agree, you did the right thing. Problem is, the right thing isn't the legal thing to do.
Ain't that the truth! But it would have been legal tousea knife to slit the deers throatand let it bleed out so it can be in agony longer.
I would be willing to have a 12-person jury trial forthe roadsidemercy killing of a deer. I think that he police and DNR warden at the trial would be made to look like fools in front of the court and the jury would quickly decide not-guilty.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Outside of all of that, what about the endless list of victims that have been raped, robbed, beaten and even killed. Tell them and their families and loved ones that there is no need for you to carry a means of self defense.

Hell all you have to do is call the police, they will come and save you. what's that don't have a cell phone? Well then all you have to do is scream. surely someone will call the police and they will come and save you. Unless of course you are in a bad neighborhood then the ones who hear you scream will wait until it is over and come pick the bones and see what was left behind.

Anyone! who can not understand the right to self defense or any of your other rights for that matter is a complete self centered idiot who lacks the understanding, compassion and purpose of what life is all about.

We all have the right to the pursuit of happiness. OC'ing makes me happy. :celebrate<-- I wish this little guy was OC'ing.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Lets consider what is illegal to carry for self-defense in WI, Electronic devices are outlawed (taser, or any other device that uses electricity to stun someone, )

I do not think we can legally carry pepper sprayeither, So what other option does that leavesomeonethat may need to defend themselves. I carry an expandable ASP in my truck, it is known as "The Tire Club" becuase if it was labled as a self-defense tool by me, I could be arrested and charged for carrying a concealed weapon. I also carry a large "mag-lite" between the drivers seat and the center console. (I had to use it once in a defensive situation)

basically if someone finds the need to defend themselves in WI, they are schitt outta luck becuase although the state has a decent self-defense statute, but at the same time we are unable to legallycarry the proper tools to do so.

About 8-9 years ago, a police officer found a man in the process of raping a woman up here, the police pordered the man to stop and get off the woman and the refused to stop until he was "finished". What could a regular citizen do? if you hit the guy with anything, you get charged with aggravated battery. The politicians of WI are trying their hardest to make this a nanny-state be fighting against our right to defend ourselves.

Castle doctrine in WI? Seems to me the criminal has more rights than the guy whose house is forcrifully entered in many cases. This has got to stop. We need to send a very clear message to our politicians that we will not stand for it anymore.

A few other annoying items in WI, Police radar does not need to be tested for accuracy within any set time. Most other states require an independent lab to verify accuracy of both the radar and the tuning forks used for checking the calibration. And the police can forcibly have blood drawn for a person even if they refuse, Where are our protections against the police? Why do we allow this to happpen?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I am hoping to use this thread to link to news stories of instances where people in wisconsin would have, could have, or did use a gun for self-defense.

I'm hoping to have an easy point of reference for the elitists in government who say "you don't need a gun in wisconsin".

I'll have a pretty good eye out for SE wisconsin, but if you guys in other parts of the state see any news reports of instances where a Wisconsinite could have been well served having a sidearm for protection please post links here! We should literally have thousands of stories over the course of a year.

patriotguy

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I am hoping to use this thread to link to news stories of instances where people in wisconsin would have, could have, or did use a gun for self-defense.

I'm hoping to have an easy point of reference for the elitists in government who say "you don't need a gun in wisconsin".
You could probably start with the security guard who shot the two perps when one perp told the other to kill the guard.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Nope, no need for a gun in Milwaukee:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/48723827.html

Five separate shootings leave 1 dead, 5 injured
By Nicholas Penzenstadler of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 21, 2009

Five separate shootings late Saturday and early Sunday left one dead and five injured, according to the Milwaukee Police Department.

A 19-year-old Milwaukee man was shot to death about 2:30 a.m. in the 3700 block of N. 24th St. after two people tried to rob him, according to police. When the victim told them he had no money, he was shot once in the chest, police said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The pair fled in a green Geo Tracker. Police are still looking for them and the vehicle.

I'm wondering what Ed Flynn or Mayor Barrett's advice to this young man would be? Keep more money on you so thugs don't shoot you when they rob you? Move out of Milwaukee? Call 911 and hope the police arrive before the bullet from the thug does?

Why doesn't the mother of this young murdered man get on TV and "talk tough" about the politicians like Mayor Tom Barrett and Ed "the philandering Fuhrer" Flynn who have blood on their hands because they would disarm law-abiding citizens and make them easy victims for criminals?

Mr.arker

imported post

Regarding that coyote video on WTMJ, I saw it and I wondered if that bigger one might be a coydog. I live in southern Milwaukee County and have seen coyotes all over. This winter at night while walking my dog, I saw one behind some bushes on my lawn. I yelled at it to go and it stood there. A piece of ice about the size of a baseball encouraged it to move on. But its brazenness bothered me.

The city of Milwaukee had its licenses committee meeting today. There was one grocery store owner I believe that had been convicted of CCW and was given a $500 fine and 2 days in the HOC (in 2007). Of course, he profusely apologized for carrying his "registered" handgun concealed. He carried it because he was afraid his apt. would be burglarizied and didn't want it stolen. Ald. Jim Bohl (not a bad guy on gun issues)said,"well if we agree with it or not, CCW is against the law here." Ald. Michael Murphy said, "well you MAY have a right to open carry but you realize you would be endangering the public." My quotes are not verbatim, but are close enough for you to understand their attitudes.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

RACINE

Man robbed while washing truck

A 22-year-old man told Racine police he was robbed Friday afternoon while washing his truck at National Pride Car Wash, 1508 Rapids Drive.

Reports said at 2:30 p.m. two suspects approached the man in the car wash. One of the suspects allegedly pulled a handgun out, pointed it at the victim and demanded money from him.

The victim told police he refused to give the suspect with the gun money and got involved in a brief struggle with him. Meanwhile, the second suspect went into the victim’s truck and took his wallet, containing $175, and his cell phone, reports said.

Both suspects then fled toward North Memorial Drive, police said.

The suspects are described as black men, ages 25 to 27, both with scruffy facial hair. One of them was about 170 to 180 pounds and 5 feet 8 inches tall. At the time of the robbery he was wearing a white T-shirt over his head, partially covering his face, a blue jumpsuit and white Nike shoes.

The second suspect is described as about 200 pounds and 5 feet 8 inches. At the time of the incident he was wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and white tennis shoes.

RACINE

Electronics stolen in burglary

About 600 DVDs, a video game system, digital camera and MP3 player, worth an estimated total of $6,270, were stolen from a home in the 800 block of Forest Street between 8:30 p.m. Friday and 2:58 a.m. Saturday, according to Racine police.

Reports said someone gained entry to the house by breaking the window on the door and reaching in to unlock the dead bolt.

RACINE

Man attacked by group

Racine police said a 29-year-old man was assaulted Sunday morning in the 900 block of Racine Street by a group of people after they yelled insults at his girlfriend.

Reports said the victim, his girlfriend and another couple, were walking from the Total 24 gas station to a friend’s house when they passed a home on Racine Street with a large group of people on the front porch. The victim told police as they walked by, someone in the group yelled insulting remarks about his girlfriend and the other woman they were with.

Police said when the victim asked why the group was acting that way, about 15 people ran off the front porch and began attacking him. The victim was punched several times and pistol whipped in the back of the head, according to reports.

Racine rescue tended to the man’s injuries.

RACINE

Man suffers broken jaw in assault

A 52-year-old man suffered a fractured jaw in an assault Sunday morning in the 1100 block of Carlisle Avenue, according to Racine police.

Reports said the man and a friend were walking together when they met up with the suspect, whom they knew. The three men were talking, but then began arguing, the victim told police.

The suspect allegedly punched the victim in the face several times, breaking his jaw and knocking out a tooth, reports said. The victim’s friend stopped the fight and the man brought himself to Wheaton Franciscan-All Saints hospital, 3801 Spring St.

A fire arm could and would have been a deterent in every one of these incidents.