• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mega stress

dukenukum

imported post

Last month my mom had a cva stroke and was in the hospital for five weeks she came
home Tuesday yesterday the visiting nurse came in and DEMANDED to know if I had guns in the home . I feel this is really none of their affairs , they said it was for their insurance company any thoughts on this ( it was undeniable since I had two gun publications on the table ) .

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dukenukum wrote:
Last month my mom had a cva stroke and was in the hospital for five weeks she came
home Tuesday yesterday the visiting nurse came in and DEMANDED to know if I had guns in the home . I feel this is really none of their affairs , they said it was for their insurance company any thoughts on this ( it was undeniable since I had two gun publications on the table ) .  

If I'm asked, I'd tell them nunya bizness.

It really isn't.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

dukenukum wrote:

So if you had an issue of Playboy magazine on the table would the nurse want to know if you had any hookers in the house? LMAO....what an idiot.

Seriously, you are not legally required to disclose that information to a nurse.

autosurgeon

imported post

They have no authority to expect an answer to that question. I would just tell them it is none of their business. I would however alos make sure that they were very well secured to keep the snooping nurse from messing with them. Same with ammo.

Michigander

imported post

I like Mastiff's complaint idea as well. If she was rudely demanding to know things she had no right to, you definitely have good reason to complain and ask for another nurse.

malignity

imported post

Next time she demands if you have any guns in your house, demand to see her nursing license. Write down her number, file a complaint with the nursing board. If she refuses treatment to your mother because you have guns in the house, she'll lose her license permanently. Nurses cannot deny treatment to anyone unless it's a direct conflict of interest; for example, a wife treating her husband, etc.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I asked my "significant other" who is an RN about this; she has been practicing for 22 years. She currently is in "management", but has been a supervisor of "home-health care" nurses in a former position. She grew up in a house with rifles prominently displayed in a gun cabinet and, when she was younger she often went plinking with her father. She does not carry herself, but has gone to the range with me and when we go out together and I OC, she thinks it is ridiculous anyone would have a problem with it.

When I asked her what her opinion of such a question was, her first response was that "they ask a lot of stupid questions" and said it probably was part of a questionnaire that was put together by a supervisor or attorney. Later, she went on to say that she understood why they would ask, as she has been in a many houses that the "clientele" was not that far removed from the general prison population.
She did say that it really shouldn't matter what your answer is, and as malignity said, the nurse can't refuse to treat your mother solely based upon you answering in the affirmative. You can also elect to say "none of your business".

If it were me, I would have said "Yep, is there a problem?" or "why, can't you be trusted around firearms?" Just me though...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

DrTodd wrote:
I asked my "significant other" who is an RN about this; she has been practicing for 22 years. She currently is in "management", but has been a supervisor of "home-health care" nurses in a former position. She grew up in a house with rifles prominently displayed in a gun cabinet and, when she was younger she often went plinking with her father. She does not carry herself, but has gone to the range with me and when we go out together and I OC, she thinks it is ridiculous anyone would have a problem with it.

When I asked her what her opinion of such a question was, her first response was that "they ask a lot of stupid questions" and said it probably was part of a questionnaire that was put together by a supervisor or attorney. Later, she went on to say that she understood why they would ask, as she has been in a many houses that the "clientele" was not that far removed from the general prison population.
She did say that it really shouldn't matter what your answer is, and as malignity said, the nurse can't refuse to treat your mother solely based upon you answering in the affirmative. You can also elect to say "none of your business".

If it were me, I would have said "Yep, is there a problem?" or "why, can't you be trusted around firearms?" Just me though...
I would have completely refused to answer the question and immediately made a complaint. I would have been just as offended if the nurse would have asked "Who did you vote for the the last presidential election" like it had a bearing on services or level of care.
For allsomeone would know, the nurses boyfriendmay bea criminal and she was ordered to find homes with firearms that he could steal. Sort of lgeally casing a home.

I had an insurance company ask for my roommates SSN, and drivers license number once. I asked what they needed that for and they stated thayplanned on charging my premiums based on her driving record. She did not have access to any of my vehicles! We were not involved, we just shared a large house!
Geico car insurance will not insure you if you own a radar detector!
:cuss:I can explain more about that later if someone is interested

Bronson

imported post

In a somewhat related situation, a member of another forum I frequent wasasked to update his information at his doctor's office andduring the update was asked if he owned firearms and if so how many?

He asked whythey needed to know and wasjust told "it was a required question" :banghead:

Bronson

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bronson wrote:
In a somewhat related situation, a member of another forum I frequent was asked to update his information at his doctor's office and during the update was asked if he owned firearms and if so how many?

He asked why they needed to know and was just told "it was a required question" :banghead:

Bronson 

Thank the Nat'l Medical Asoociation for that.

autosurgeon

imported post

Zig you are on to something... These medical fruits think because people are husrt with firearms that it is their duty to preach to us... and many of them back gun control and holler all sorts of junk statistics to back them selves up. It's the same as the doctors who rant against motorcycles BC some people get hurt or killed on them. People are always going to get hurt and killed one way or another... we cannot end that. BUT some people think that if we outlaw all dangerous activity that that will somehow help. But all that will do is make other activities look more dangerouse and then cause them to be outlawed and so on and on and on....