• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HIT this poll! Memphis to flout preemption, ban gun carry on public street with metal detectors!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

And keep hitting the poll fe "Beale Street Tactics"!

--

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10551474

--

Somebody needs to file a federal lawsuit under 42 USC 1983 seeking an emergency injunction as violative of the Fourth Amendment.

Mike Stollenwerk

--

"Sept. 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be the day liberty perished in this country."
-- Judge Gerald Tjoflat, writing for the unanimous 11th federal Circuit Court of Appeals panel quashing the use of metal detectors to "screen" demonstrators in public areas on 15 October 2004 in
Bourgeouis v. Peters, Dozier, and the City of Columbus, GAat http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/11th/0216886p.pdf.

rpyne

imported post

falcon1 wrote:
Link is about SAF and DC?
I just followed both links and they go exactly where they say they do. The first to the story about Beale Street and the second to the court decision.

TFred

imported post

In keeping with the age-old theme: "Criminals Are Stupid", it's always nice when people go on the record in a newspaper article when they plan to break the law.

Action should be swift and punitive. I want to see arrests. Of course, there are laws for anti-gunners (which are apparently just suggestions), and there are laws for the rest of us... there will be no arrests... I'd be surprised if anything at all is done. Such is the world of double standards in which we live.

TFred

KansasMustang

imported post

Seems to me that these folks are taking the law into their own hands. They've already lost that battle but they think they can overturn it on the streets. That's called vigilante law where i come from, and it's as illegal as if it was the other way around. If I lived in TN I'd march on down there and with a good number of my OC-ing friends we'd just wait for the S*#t to hit the fan. Then let the Supreme court of TN rule on it. But that's just me sayin it.
The other side of it is that John Elkington in the article said he was going to take whatever steps necessary to make sure you're safe. So if anyone gets shot by BG's God forbid,,,,sue HIM.
Typo edit

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I'm thinking some open carriers might need to try to visit Beale st. and be barred entry to ensure they have standing to sue.

Can somebody in TN take the lead on this, find out the particulars, and consider filing a lawsuit? Under Section 1983 prevailing Plaintiffs usually recoup atty fees and costs.

I think we need to take a stand now against "Beale Street Tactics" or every localitiy in the coutnry will start doing monkey see, monkee do policy making.

tito887

imported post

If the bars truly do not want guns in their property then I see no problem with that. Let the liberty community vote with their dollars. Maybe they will be fine without the money. Maybe not. Of course I don't see how they can ban firearms on sidewalks.

rpyne

imported post

tito887 wrote:
If the bars truly do not want guns in their property then I see no problem with that. Let the liberty community vote with their dollars. Maybe they will be fine without the money. Maybe not. Of course I don't see how they can ban firearms on sidewalks.
"Their" property is fine, but the public street outside is a completely different story. The ONLY way that would be legal is if the property owners went in together and bought the street from the city.

Using the price paid and the inflation rate from a case here in Utah where a private entity bought a block of a street from a city, it should be worth about $50 million per block.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not only is it illegal to block a public street... It's one of the dumbest boneheaded ideas I've ever heard of. The no's are still losing...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Do any of you TN residents know the details about Beale Street?

What about setting up a protest outside Beale St. if police in fact do establish an illegal gun ban check point? I wonder if tourists will come to see the picket line too?

Huck

imported post

"John Elkington of Performa Entertainment says he wants to offermuggers and otherthugs the opportunity to visit Beale without the fear of encountering armed citizens."

There ya go John, fixed it for you!

"Merchants will have to cover the cost, but they say it's worth it to maintain Beale Street's reputation as one of the country's safest entertainment districts."

There's a "safe" district in Memphis? And how is making the area a crime encouragement zone going to make it safe?

Tex

imported post

Stayed on it from 43% til we hit 51% but I REALLY need to go to work now, can someone take over for a bit? Exit story, clear your cookies, then go back and hit it again.