• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT clubs/ranges

ESCH

imported post

I am looking for a club or range that is accepting members and that would also allow me as an NRA certified instructor, to bring a student to the range. I am in Oxford so somewhere on this side of the state would obviously be preferred. I have seen lists of clubs and ranges on "Where to shoot" but most don't have any info or contacts. I am hoping someone will belong to a nice club and want an active responsible new member to join their club/range. Let me know!

ESCH

imported post

Well this is about the response I expected. I have come to a couple of conclusions about this recently. One, most clubs want to remain out-of-site-out of mind. Low profile and invisible if possible. On one hand I can understand. On the other, I think they are missing out on a lot of business, and when they do need support/help, no one cares.

Secondly, From myexperience, it seems like most of the clubs are full of "older" members. Seems they do not have much access or useof the internet. They don't seem interested in "growing" the membership or the acceptance by the general populace. I feel the opposite. I think we need to educate and include/involve as much of the public as possible.

Oh well, the search continues...

uskrusader

imported post

I've been a member of the Ledyard club for several years now.

Getting permission to teach there so far has been pretty tough for me.... I did everything they asked as far as letters, insurance, etc. Then I get a letter telling me to resubmit at a later date because they are changing/reviewing their policy on who/how classes will be conducted at Ledyard.

I have tons of students lined up who want to get their permits....but for now I have no where to take them to shoot.

Really sux....good people are waiting to join us....and are delayed by this.

I'm forced to refer them away.

nviper

imported post

as an instructor you can bring students to high rock in naugatuck and not pay yourself but the student will. i dont know if they will limit the number of students or not. also wolfs range in southington will allow you to bring students and you can also rent out a class room that they have on site. http://wolfsrange.com/instruction.html
thats the link to the site.

BPK63

imported post

I go to highrock all the time. Great bunch of people shoot up there and a great bunch of range officers.

ESCH

imported post

I thought Highrock only allowed members to bring students. They are limited to 100 members and I thought I read somewhere there are about 200-300 people on a waiting list to get in the place as members? Highrock would be ideal as a member because I believe as a member you can go up when the public is not allowed. But I would guess the members list will probably take years to sift through.

Wolf's sounds like it might be worth checking out. I will give them a call.

BPK63

imported post

High rock allows any person with a permit to share a port with somebody else. They can shoot as long as you are supervising them. You don't need to be a member. Problem with other ranges as they average about 27 bucks an hour and high rock is 5 bucks an hour. Big difference there.

nviper

imported post

if you are an instructor you can bring a student and you do not have to pay as long as you are not shooting. i went to the meeting tonight because i am trying to become a member. they only allow 100 members right now. there is a waiting list but its not as long as you might think.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

High Rock is excellent. And, yes, you can bring people without permits as long as you're supervising (if they're their shooting pistols, no supervision needed for rifles/shotgun). The only problem is that they're only open Saturday and Sunday if you're not a member.

Leverdude

imported post

ESCH wrote:
I am looking for a club or range that is accepting members and that would also allow me as an NRA certified instructor, to bring a student to the range. I am in Oxford so somewhere on this side of the state would obviously be preferred. I have seen lists of clubs and ranges on "Where to shoot" but most don't have any info or contacts. I am hoping someone will belong to a nice club and want an active responsible new member to join their club/range. Let me know!

I shoot alot at Wooster Mtn state park in Danbury. Theres a range run by DSSA (Danbury shooting sports assoc) Its open to the public & you can pay for the year or $20 per shooter for the day. I'm certain you can bring a student & they might just charge for the students, but I'm unsure about that. I dont have contact info but think you could find it online. Their hiours are Wed 1:00 till 7:00, Sat noon til 6:00 & Sun noon till 5:00.