Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE open carry class to be held at Coloma Rod and Gun Club

Post imported post

I will be holding an open carry class on July 11th 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and would like to know if there is anyone who would be interested in helping out. I already have the class posted on our website http://www.colomarodandgunclub.com and it will be going in the paper this week.

I have a signup form on the website so we should know how many people we are looking at prior to the event.

I am looking for anyone who can come down and OC at the club and would be willing to talk about Holsters, Retention, Your experiences and the Laws that pertain.

We are holding a CPL class later in the month and wanted to segway into the CC process and how the two compliment one another!

Oh and we will be teaching this class not the CPL instructor. He wants us to handle this part as he understands it's legal but is just learning about it himself... he seems to be keeping an open mind about it and may sit in the back and listen in.

I want to keep it informal and make it more of a question answer session.

I plan to start with a synopses of the open carry movement and then move on to the laws and finally talk about our experiences.

If you have ideas and cannot make it by all means share them!!!

Addition 1 --- I plan to do all holster demonstrations outside on the pistol range weather permitting. Its just safer and a more controlled environment.

Ryan

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Can't make it, but it's an interesting idea.

Important things to think about for Open Carry:

Those who wish to should know the law backwards and forwards, and carry information with them for curious people. We are de facto spokespeople for gun owners, as we're walking billboards.

Important things to know about the law: There are different rules for people WITH a CPL and those WITHOUT.

Situational awareness while open carrying is paramount. A criminal is going to be VERY aware of you, so you need to do your best to be as aware of your surroundings as possible.

Retention holsters are a must. Level II or greater. You can't just use the $10 Uncle Mike's that you picked up on a whim.

Finally: OC is not for everyone! There's more attention required, more knowledge of the law required, and, let's face it, more attention from others, including law enforcement. You have to be willing to face all of this.

Post imported post

I would LOVE to be there, but it's quite a drive and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it

Post imported post

So essentially a seminar to tell people about everything involving open carry...

Wonderful idea if you can get people to come out, especially those who aren't real knowledgeable on the subject.

It's too much of a drive for me to want to participate, but if I were going to be involved, I would be calling gun shops, CPL teachers, and gun clubs to tell them about the class, and I'd ask them to have fliers on their display cases. Plus of course I'd be sending out press releases. I'd also consider inviting police agencies from all over the region.

About the class itself, you might be interested in using some or all of the slide show Brian has used. It's very well arranged, and fairly complete. But obviously you need to do things however you're comfortable.

Even if it fails to attract much interest, it's sure to be an informative experiment.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    I would LOVE to be there, but it's quite a drive and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it
    You COULD set up your own. Especially after this one happens and the best ways to arrange things are sorted out.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

NoU!

Post imported post

We already are inviting the Training coordinator for the Berrian County Sheriffs dept. I will see about getting fliers made up and in the local gun shops.

Also Zig I will deff be including the things you mentioned!! I am kinda using you all as a sounding board to make sure I hit all the important points.

A slide show would be great as I have a laptop and projector I can use.

Also I would be able to run some of the pictures of past events.

I will be happy if I can even just educate some of the club members at this first one!

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

DT

Post imported post

The exciting thing for me if this gets a lot of police attention is that it will be a good proactive way to better relations with police. Could be the best method yet. And right now, improving relations with police is probably our biggest state wide concern.

Post imported post

I am going to talk with the Club president about getting a coloma township officer there and even State Police if possible. Also might be a good idea to see if a reporter would like to sit in... or maybe more than one

Post imported post

I live in Saint Joseph and frequent Coloma. I am fairly new to OC and for that matter CC. I just got my CPL in April.

I would love to help out, but we were thinking abouta trip to Cedar Point that weekend.However,even ifI can't be there that day, I would like to offer any local help you might need. I am an IT consultant and have a laptop and projector available to me. Ialso have a Serpa II holster for my Glock 19C that could be used for demo.

PM me for additional contact information.

Post imported post

Well if you can be there great if not well I'll survive

If you are able to come it would be nice to have a Blackhawk Serpa to demonstrate.

I don't have one as they don't make one for either of my carry guns.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

This is a great idea I was thinking of trying to do one at Gander Mnts. or at bass pro even though I know they don't allow it in their store.

Post imported post

Wish I could be there... this is a GREAT idea!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    This is a great idea I was thinking of trying to do one at Gander Mnts. or at bass pro even though I know they don't allow it in their store.
    Gander mountain follows the law in the state in which they reside. Bass Pro on the other hand wants even CPL holders to inform them and they want to see your permit.. Sorry BP you have no right to see my permit and I will NOT be spending any money there!

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Generaldet wrote:
    Gander mountain follows the law in the state in which they reside. Bass Pro on the other hand wants even CPL holders to inform them and they want to see your permit.. Sorry BP you have no right to see my permit and I will NOT be spending any money there!
    Yes I know. That's why I suggested Gander Mtn. as a possible place to help educate the public. My hope is that one day BP will come along.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I consider it worth every extra cent in gas money to drive to Dundee when I need to go to an outdoor outfitter.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Well if you can be there great if not well I'll survive

If you are able to come it would be nice to have a Blackhawk Serpa to demonstrate.

I don't have one as they don't make one for either of my carry guns.
    I'll try to make it, I've got a 1911 w/ SERPA for demonstration if you need it.

Love to hear about what everybody prefers to carry, and their reasons why. Closed mag carriers, vs open like my Fobus. Flashlight choices, what situations they practice for, etc.

-Richard-

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

REMEMBER - WHEN DEMONSTRATING WITH AN ACTUAL FIREARM:

ALWAYS triple-check the action, and have a third party visually check to make sure the chamber is clear AS WELL AS put their pinky in the chamber to confirm.

ALWAYS do this check in front of the people you're giving the demonstration with.

WHILE GIVING THE DEMONSTRATION: Always obey the 4 rules, even though you've done the above check.

A friendly reminder, from your friend, Zig.

Post imported post

Good reminder Zig!! I may try to borrow some rubber guns for demo purposes.

Post imported post

Hope you get a good turnout, I shot my first clays there in 8th grade as a school field trip (was going to hartford at the time).

Now I enjoy them in the back yard. If I am down visiting my parents I will try to make it out.

Post imported post

If it's feasible and appropriate, you should record the seminar, and put it on youtube.

Pullnshoot25 and his brother recently made a fabulous series of youtube videos on unloaded kali carrying, and how to do it properly. We should have more educational videos available to Michigan OCers. It's easier for some to get their heads around than reading through legal jargon.

Post imported post

I am planning to do that. My camera takes good video just in 20min clips... but then for youtube that is about right.

Post imported post

No promises, but I'll try to make it if I can. And if I do, hopefully I'll bring some friends. Looking forward to it!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

If you or you friends can make it have them register on the website I provided in the first post so I will know how many packets to have!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast