• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FREE open carry class to be held at Coloma Rod and Gun Club

autosurgeon

imported post

I will be holding an open carry class on July 11th 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and would like to know if there is anyone who would be interested in helping out. I already have the class posted on our website http://www.colomarodandgunclub.com and it will be going in the paper this week.

I have a signup form on the website so we should know how many people we are looking at prior to the event.

I am looking for anyone who can come down and OC at the club and would be willing to talk about Holsters, Retention, Your experiences and the Laws that pertain.

We are holding a CPL class later in the month and wanted to segway into the CC process and how the two compliment one another!

Oh and we will be teaching this class not the CPL instructor. He wants us to handle this part as he understands it's legal but is just learning about it himself... he seems to be keeping an open mind about it and may sit in the back and listen in.

I want to keep it informal and make it more of a question answer session.

I plan to start with a synopses of the open carry movement and then move on to the laws and finally talk about our experiences.

If you have ideas and cannot make it by all means share them!!!

Addition 1 --- I plan to do all holster demonstrations outside on the pistol range weather permitting. Its just safer and a more controlled environment.

Ryan

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can't make it, but it's an interesting idea.

Important things to think about for Open Carry:

Those who wish to should know the law backwards and forwards, and carry information with them for curious people. We are de facto spokespeople for gun owners, as we're walking billboards.

Important things to know about the law: There are different rules for people WITH a CPL and those WITHOUT.

Situational awareness while open carrying is paramount. A criminal is going to be VERY aware of you, so you need to do your best to be as aware of your surroundings as possible.

Retention holsters are a must. Level II or greater. You can't just use the $10 Uncle Mike's that you picked up on a whim.

Finally: OC is not for everyone! There's more attention required, more knowledge of the law required, and, let's face it, more attention from others, including law enforcement. You have to be willing to face all of this.

Michigander

imported post

So essentially a seminar to tell people about everything involving open carry...

Wonderful idea if you can get people to come out, especially those who aren't real knowledgeable on the subject.

It's too much of a drive for me to want to participate, but if I were going to be involved, I would be calling gun shops, CPL teachers, and gun clubs to tell them about the class, and I'd ask them to have fliers on their display cases. Plus of course I'd be sending out press releases. I'd also consider inviting police agencies from all over the region.

About the class itself, you might be interested in using some or all of the slide show Brian has used. It's very well arranged, and fairly complete. But obviously you need to do things however you're comfortable.

Even if it fails to attract much interest, it's sure to be an informative experiment.

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I would LOVE to be there, but it's quite a drive and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it :(
You COULD set up your own. Especially after this one happens and the best ways to arrange things are sorted out. :cool:

autosurgeon

imported post

We already are inviting the Training coordinator for the Berrian County Sheriffs dept. I will see about getting fliers made up and in the local gun shops.

Also Zig I will deff be including the things you mentioned!! I am kinda using you all as a sounding board to make sure I hit all the important points.

A slide show would be great as I have a laptop and projector I can use.

Also I would be able to run some of the pictures of past events.

I will be happy if I can even just educate some of the club members at this first one!

Michigander

imported post

The exciting thing for me if this gets a lot of police attention is that it will be a good proactive way to better relations with police. Could be the best method yet. And right now, improving relations with police is probably our biggest state wide concern.

autosurgeon

imported post

I am going to talk with the Club president about getting a coloma township officer there and even State Police if possible. Also might be a good idea to see if a reporter would like to sit in... or maybe more than one:cool:

Geek Saint

imported post

I live in Saint Joseph and frequent Coloma. I am fairly new to OC and for that matter CC. I just got my CPL in April.

I would love to help out, but we were thinking abouta trip to Cedar Point that weekend.However,even ifI can't be there that day, I would like to offer any local help you might need. I am an IT consultant and have a laptop and projector available to me. Ialso have a Serpa II holster for my Glock 19C that could be used for demo.

PM me for additional contact information.

autosurgeon

imported post

Well if you can be there great if not well I'll survive:lol:

If you are able to come it would be nice to have a Blackhawk Serpa to demonstrate.

I don't have one as they don't make one for either of my carry guns.

autosurgeon

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
This is a great idea I was thinking of trying to do one at Gander Mnts. or at bass pro even though I know they don't allow it in their store.
Gander mountain follows the law in the state in which they reside. Bass Pro on the other hand wants even CPL holders to inform them and they want to see your permit.. Sorry BP you have no right to see my permit and I will NOT be spending any money there!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Generaldet wrote:
This is a great idea I was thinking of trying to do one at Gander Mnts. or at bass pro even though I know they don't allow it in their store.
Gander mountain follows the law in the state in which they reside. Bass Pro on the other hand wants even CPL holders to inform them and they want to see your permit.. Sorry BP you have no right to see my permit and I will NOT be spending any money there!
Yes I know. That's why I suggested Gander Mtn. as a possible place to help educate the public. My hope is that one day BP will come along.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I consider it worth every extra cent in gas money to drive to Dundee when I need to go to an outdoor outfitter.

office888

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Well if you can be there great if not well I'll survive:lol:

If you are able to come it would be nice to have a Blackhawk Serpa to demonstrate.

I don't have one as they don't make one for either of my carry guns.
I'll try to make it, I've got a 1911 w/ SERPA for demonstration if you need it.

Love to hear about what everybody prefers to carry, and their reasons why. Closed mag carriers, vs open like my Fobus. Flashlight choices, what situations they practice for, etc.

-Richard-

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

REMEMBER - WHEN DEMONSTRATING WITH AN ACTUAL FIREARM:

ALWAYS triple-check the action, and have a third party visually check to make sure the chamber is clear AS WELL AS put their pinky in the chamber to confirm.

ALWAYS do this check in front of the people you're giving the demonstration with.

WHILE GIVING THE DEMONSTRATION: Always obey the 4 rules, even though you've done the above check.

A friendly reminder, from your friend, Zig.