• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DEA without Arrest Authority

FreeRiderInDC

imported post

I am a employee in the Federal Government. I am in the DEA. I have credentials etc. I was sworn in. I do not have arrest authority.

As a member of a law enforcement agency, without arrest authority, can I cc in a restuarant with ABC on premise?

Thanks.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I don't know enough to answer this question fully, but different states have different laws. In many states anyone with a concealed carry permit can carry in such restaurant, while some states mandate open carry in such places or prohibit carry altogether in such places. And some states have exceptions for law enforcement.

What state are you in? (Or, guessing from the username, perhaps you are in D.C.?)

KBCraig

imported post

FreeRiderInDC wrote:
I am a employee in the Federal Government. I am in the DEA. I have credentials etc. I was sworn in. I do not have arrest authority.

As a member of a law enforcement agency, without arrest authority, can I cc in a restuarant with ABC on premise?
If you, personally, do not have arrest authority, then you're not a "qualified law enforcement officer" no matter what credentials you might have. Any LEO exemptions don't apply to you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FreeRiderInDC wrote:

Please forgive the lack of manners so far. :)

WELCOME TO OCDO!!!!

It would help a lot if you could tell us what state(s) you would be CCing in. From your phrasing and screen name, it sounds like it might be VA. Here is the VA Code on the subject:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit. (emphasis added)

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

In VA, you would need to be a sworn LEO, not just an unsworn employee of an LE agency.

By the way, you do realize this is an open carry forum, as compared to a concealed carry forum? :D We're happy to help nonetheless. And hope you will stay.

FreeRiderInDC

imported post

Thanks.... I appreciate the frank and direct answers. I dont want to get into any trouble. I have my CC in Virginia.

This was my first question as I am a noob (at posting and CC) and I see I was off topic?

I think I like it here.. and I will stay...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Please accept my heartfelt welcome as well. There are a few on here that will give you grief, but as posted above, some of us capable of a warm welcome.

Don't forget to check out the Virginia pages. We seem to be the most prolific posters on this site.

Welcome Aboard!

~~Mike

Legba

imported post

I think it's funny that the "industry operations" division of the ATF doesn't carry guns either (I think they are allowed to drink and smoke at least). The guys that do gun shop audits have badges now, but no guns and no arrest authority. Then again, they can always call the guys in the black ninja outfits with the automatics, etc., so I wouldn't mock them about it.

Welcome to the forum. I'm curious what a non-LEO DEA agent is - are you a forensic chemist or something?

-ljp

WheelGun

imported post

Most questions can be answered by substituting a few of the pertinent facts:

Q: I am a law enforcement officer. I have ID. I do not have the authority to blow by civilians on the highway in my private car just for the thrill of doing so. Can I doit anyway?

A: No, not legally, no.

Q: If I get pulled over, do you think the State Trooper would give me a ticket?

A: Of course not, no. You're a fellow cop, aren't you?

(No offense to LEOs.)

BTW welcome to OCDO.