• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Never OC'ed

ScottyDog

imported post

Ok Ok I admit it, I'm a whimp. I've never OC'ed and I've had a CPL over ten years. I've never done this because part of my fear is that I'd end up being in jail, and being in a wheelchair, that thought isn't appealing.

I know the law is on my side, but my question is, where should I "pop my OC cherry?" what do you folks think would be the most comfy, yet least confrontational place?

cdjspider

imported post

I suggest going somewhere not very crowded. Go to a grocery store and pick up a few things or if you really want to play it safe go to a gun store / sporting goods place. Also, going somewhere your comfortable also helps.

I know a lot of people say go to walmart for your first concealed but I found that it does not work as well for you first OC, its just to crowded and stressful. I went to walmart for my first OC and felt like I was going to have a panic attack :uhoh:

PolskiG

imported post

I would start outside your residence. Go get the mail, wash your car if you have one. Gas stations, stay away from federal buildings. Atm machines, baby steps then progress to grocerey stores yadda yadda, welcome. come to Bellevue park on the 27th!

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Go somewhere where you are a regular customer and the employees will recognize you. If you can, try to make it someplace that isn't very crowded. It will help your nerves if there aren't a lot of people around....but if there aren't at least a couple random people there it won't do much for helping with your confidence for OCing in more crowded places.

You'll probably be nervous as hell at first, I sure was. Smile, be polite and act like the gun isn't there. If you are outwardly nervous then everyone else will pick up on that..but if you're calm, cool and collected then it reduces the chances that someone else will see you as anything but a "normal person."

Beware of Murphy's law though...my first OC was at a Quizno's at which I was a frequent customer and usually Saturday afternoons when I got off work it was pretty quiet in there....except the one day I decided to OC...it was packed, but I still had ZERO problems.

FogRider

imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
You'll probably be nervous as hell at first, I sure was. Smile, be polite and act like the gun isn't there. If you are outwardly nervous then everyone else will pick up on that..but if you're calm, cool and collected then it reduces the chances that someone else will see you as anything but a "normal person."
This is important. I think people react to the person with the gun as much as they do to the gun itself. That and you'll find most people will never notice your gun. If you don't act like you have anything to hide they won't go looking for anything.

n16ht5

imported post

I started OCing when hiking or out in the country as soon as I turned 21. That helped a lot.
Try going out for a hike and OC. 99% of the people I've met on the trails consider it normal and don't get nervous when I encounter them. Good luck, you should come the 27th

I second the grocery store/ errand idea. That helps when there's few people around. Although some people look like deer in the headlights at the bank when I come in (I don't look like LE)

FMCDH

imported post

I would second OCing around your house and property as a first step. Daily house/yard tasks. Get use to the presence of the gun on your hip in the open, then work your way to less crowded venues.

Don't push yourself, its not a contest. People are right when they say its mostly your own demeanor and presence that makes the presence of the gun "scary" or just another bobble on the belt to most people.

If your comfortable, the few people who notice that you even have a pistol strapped to your side will be put as ease.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I go along with Polski and fmcdh. I also would carry to freinds houses who I knew were 2A freindly. It was also good practice in conversing with people about why I am open carrying, made it way more easier when I had to deal with people in the real world.

I also found that 99.9% of my encounters are freindly and encouraging. Usually people don't say much. But for example this week I had a lot of people congratulating me for standing up for our rights, maybe the spirit of freedom is on the rise again. It makes me feel good that I know I am doing what is right and makes the rare anti encounter much easier to deal with.

Welcome to the boards and if you still feel uncomfortable find a local OC'er in your area and meet up with him for coffee or something. Strength in numbers.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

A lot of great advice here.

Other thoughts...

Wear your OC holster around with a covering garment for a while. You should be comfortable with the (possibly different) location of your OC rig, and with that holster in general.

When you are ready to OC, don't force yourself to OC for the whole day/trip. Bring a longer shirt so that you can OC when the environment, crowd,or time is right for you. That way, you know you can just go back to your car and put on a covering shirt if you need to run into the bank, for example, where you might feel more pressure.

Figure out what your answers will be. At some point, you are going to get the question "Why do you OC?" or "Why do you carry a gun?". I personally feel that, even with friends, it is best to answer with a non-joking reply. Using "in case I need to shoot someone" might not be the best reply; "because it's my right" doesn't really convey to reason either. My answer is generally "if your life or my life is threatened by an attacker, I cannot afford the time it takes to call the police and wait for help to arrive".

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Trigger Dr

imported post

How about "I m a supporter of the rights guaranteed by our constituions both state and federal, and I hope you are also."

Manu

imported post

ScottyDog wrote:
That sounds even better. I'd be way more relaxed if i was around other OC'ers.
This summer you will find few OCer events try to show up at most of them. you will develop some confidence that way. If you are in seatac let Deros/Manu(yours turely)/Irfener/bookman or anyother member know we can meet you up for lunch of coffee some where.

Ajetpilot

imported post

This is a great thread. There are probably many who are following this discussionand looking forsuggestions also.

These are all great recommendations. Still, you will probably feel as if you are going to go directly to jail, without passing go, for awhile. After a few months of uneventful carry, you'll start to relax and actually look forward to answering some questions while educating others.

Thanks for starting this thread!

ScottyDog

imported post

Thanks EVERYONE for you support and advice. I think I'll do my first OC monday. I'll let everyone know where I do it and how it went. I'd like to go to the picnic but wont know if I can attend just yet. I'll let ya know soon.

Woof!

DEROS72

imported post

If you just go about you business in the places you deal with everyday people will get used to it and see your not a bad guy.Don't try and be flashy by wearing big gun t-shirts a the like.The way I dress most people don't even notice because the point is NOT to call attention to yourself.Although sometimes it just happens.Always be polite and to the point if asked and never ever confrontational.If you can ,have a couple of pamphlets to give out when asked.Appearences are a lot ,how you present yourself makes a huge difference.Personally If I saw a guy OC, wearing a t-shirt with a an oversize Clint Eastwood photo with a muzzle pointed at the viewer I wouldn't walk around with him. Or that guy that when in a line or something wants to talk loud to his buddy about his gun he's carrying ,so that people in line take notice.Idiots!Thats show boating and gives us a very negative image.I like the golf shirt with the very small gun and ocdo logo .Way better presentation.The guys that know me know nowadays there is no time when I am not OC anymore.It issometiome a good idea I think to go with someone that has been oc for a while and watch how he responds to questions or if asked by a LEO.You'll find after a while it's pretty much a non issue.But the more of us that stand up for our 2A rights the better chance we will have in keeping them.

This gal downstairs from me saw me a while back I was out sweeping the side walk and made a point of telling me how anti gun she is.Fast forward past the 2 shooting incidents here .After those happened one day she saw me taking a bunch of my artwork out of the house.(taking it to a showing) .She asked me in a very distressd tone if I was moving out.I said I wan't .She replied to me, and bookman heard this as well,That she was glad and now she felt much safer knowing I was upstairs.amazing how an incident can change an anti's perspective sometimes.