• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Observations on OC in LA

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Dustin wrote:
derf wrote:
I appreciate the opportunity to OC and consider it a privilege.

So this must mean that you DO NOT believe that the 2A gives us a "RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms".

Am I correct?

Otherwise how can a "Right" be a "Privilege"? :?

Perhaps he means we are privileged to live in a country where we have the rights we do.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
derf wrote:
And this is exactly the problem - if you consider the right to carry a privilege, then you concede tothe police and government generally the power to "confront" you for exercising your privilege in a place that some person or persons happens to arbitrarily decide that your kind is not wanted.

If racial minorities kept putting up with this years ago, the water fountains would still be segregated today.

Having said that, there is no reason to be a nasty person while OCing or to instigate problems - a successful OCer is usually not noticed or by the time she is noticed, has moved on about her business or simply accepted as minding her own business and being normal by the people around her. This type of OCer helps the cause as hundreds or thousands of people are exposed to the reality that fellow citizens do carry guns in daily life, that nothing bad happens, that they appear otherwise normal, nobody calls the police or gets scared, and life goes on.

I have open carried extensive in VA, PA, NC, WV, OH, and KY and have never been bothered (unless you count an "eye roll" one time in WalMart by a Fairfax County police officer) by police or really anybody else even when walking right past them or speaking at a podium in public meeting (e.g., city council meeting), in a traffic stop, buyong beer or groceries at various grocery stores, Starbucks, gun shops, etc.

But if a police officer or anybody else ever unlawfully detains or searches me while I am minding my own business just because i am carrying a gun, I will sue them in their individual and official capacities and seek damages and other relief from them and the locality or agency which employs them -I will FOIA them, investigate them, get the matter into the press, depose them, force them to disclose documents, build a website about them and the case, etc., and trust me, they are not going to like it and neither will their superiors or their superior's political masters.

THIS, is not being mean spirited - this is doing your duty to support gun rights and the American way of life generally. If you are singled out by police because you are open carrying and your rights infringed in any way, take it seriously and find a good lawyer in your state to bring suit - in many cases, this can be done on a contingency basis.
+1,000,000

Dustin

imported post

smokingmem wrote:
Dustin wrote:
derf wrote:

So this must mean that you DO NOT believe that the 2A gives us a "RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms".

Am I correct?

Otherwise how can a "Right" be a "Privilege"? :?

Perhaps he means we are privileged to live in a country where we have the rights we do.

That would be understandable; however I'd be thanking God, not the US Government. Last I checked, it was God Fearing MEN who really bought home the Revolutionary War and those afterwards that eventually led to the birth of the Constitution which indeed was formulated with the Bible as being the root of all Morality.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

So now the spineless mods who refuse to identify themselves are removing my posts. very mature.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Dustin wrote:
smokingmem wrote:
So now the spineless mods who refuse to identify themselves are removing my posts. very mature.

There are ONLY two Mods; Mike and JPierce, the OWNERS of this site.

I'd hardlyconsider themspinless :?

Well, if that is the case, then they have a pretty chickenshit way of running their board. IMO if they are going to delete some people's posts and not others who are doing the same or worst. i had posts that were direct legitimate responses to people's questions to me deleted.

Why?

wrightme

imported post

smokingmem wrote:
Dustin wrote:
smokingmem wrote:

Well, if that is the case, then they have a pretty chicken@#$% way of running their board. IMO if they are going to delete some people's posts and not others who are doing the same or worst. i had posts that were direct legitimate responses to people's questions to me deleted.

Why?
Your attitude?

Or are you speaking of some of your posts as the banned user nolacop? Oh, maybe the same reason?

Dustin

imported post

smokingmem wrote:
Dustin wrote:
smokingmem wrote:

Well, if that is the case, then they have a pretty chicken@#$% way of running their board. IMO if they are going to delete some people's posts and not others who are doing the same or worst. i had posts that were direct legitimate responses to people's questions to me deleted.

Why?

Don't know dude, but I'm only hearing your side of the story, however I trust their ability to be fair. Lord knows they sure do allow a whole lot of OC Negativity even thought that's the main objective of the site.

I'd say they are more tolerable than any other site I know, plus there is only two of them, they can only do so much.

This thread has become absolutely Hostile in the past month, so I'm suprised the whole LA Thread hasn't been frozen/suspended for a month or so.

Sad :?

derf

imported post

Mike wrote:
derf wrote:
And this is exactly the problem - if you consider the right to carry a privilege, then you concede tothe police and government generally the power to "confront" you for exercising your privilege in a place that some person or persons happens to arbitrarily decide that your kind is not wanted.

If racial minorities kept putting up with this years ago, the water fountains would still be segregated today.

Having said that, there is no reason to be a nasty person while OCing or to instigate problems - a successful OCer is usually not noticed or by the time she is noticed, has moved on about her business or simply accepted as minding her own business and being normal by the people around her. This type of OCer helps the cause as hundreds or thousands of people are exposed to the reality that fellow citizens do carry guns in daily life, that nothing bad happens, that they appear otherwise normal, nobody calls the police or gets scared, and life goes on.

I have open carried extensive in VA, PA, NC, WV, OH, and KY and have never been bothered (unless you count an "eye roll" one time in WalMart by a Fairfax County police officer) by police or really anybody else even when walking right past them or speaking at a podium in public meeting (e.g., city council meeting), in a traffic stop, buyong beer or groceries at various grocery stores, Starbucks, gun shops, etc.

But if a police officer or anybody else ever unlawfully detains or searches me while I am minding my own business just because i am carrying a gun, I will sue them in their individual and official capacities and seek damages and other relief from them and the locality or agency which employs them -I will FOIA them, investigate them, get the matter into the press, depose them, force them to disclose documents, build a website about them and the case, etc., and trust me, they are not going to like it and neither will their superiors or their superior's political masters.

THIS, is not being mean spirited - this is doing your duty to support gun rights and the American way of life generally. If you are singled out by police because you are open carrying and your rights infringed in any way, take it seriously and find a good lawyer in your state to bring suit - in many cases, this can be done on a contingency basis.
Well, you can see it as a privilege in certain areas or you can say you have the right in certain areas and don't have the right in other areas. Is the glass half full or half empty?

I think the government should only do for people only what people can't do for themselves. I think the government is SUPPOSED to work for the people. The government is SUPPOSED to work for public safety. I don't think people can effectively police themselves.

If you were to sue it would probably be better for OC to win a trial than to settle out of court for money. It is easy to second guess someone else's actions, I know. I appreciate the opportunity to debate/discuss it here, though.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Dustin wrote:
smokingmem wrote:
Dustin wrote:
smokingmem wrote:

Why?

Don't know dude, but I'm only hearing your side of the story, however I trust their ability to be fair. Lord knows they sure do allow a whole lot of OC Negativity even thought that's the main objective of the site.

I'd say they are more tolerable than any other site I know, plus there is only two of them, they can only do so much.

This thread has become absolutely Hostile in the past month, so I'm suprised the whole LA Thread hasn't been frozen/suspended for a month or so.

Sad :?

But they let people like SMoking357 post his crap all he wants. I amke an honest thread about the NRA, and they let people post pics of trolls and derail the thread. How is that fair or just?

Oscarr

imported post

derf wrote:

If you were to sue it would probably be better for OC to win a trial than to settle out of court for money. It is easy to second guess someone else's actions, I know. I appreciate the opportunity to debate/discuss it here, though.
I was thinking about this earlier. If you (by 'you', I mean anyone reading this) had the opportunity to sue due to your right to OC being violated, what would you do if you were offered $XXX amount of money to settle out of court?

More importantly, what would the repercussions be of taking it to court, and LOSING. Wouldn't that set precedent? Whereas taking the money at least hits them were it hurts (the wallet) and hopefully will get the message across - and it still gets it brought up in the public eye. Anytime a company settles out of court to a settle a lawsuit, people (typically) assume it was cause the company knows it was in the wrong, and didn't wanna go to court.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smokingmem wrote:
But they let people like SMoking357 post his crap all he wants. I amke an honest thread about the NRA, and they let people post pics of trolls and derail the thread. How is that fair or just?
Dude, look at your user name.

Your pathological obsession with mark is beginning to look like stalking. And the very existence of your account with that name is an insult to every member here.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Oscarr wrote:
derf wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier. If you (by 'you', I mean anyone reading this) had the opportunity to sue due to your right to OC being violated, what would you do if you were offered $XXX amount of money to settle out of court?

More importantly, what would the repercussions be of taking it to court, and LOSING. Wouldn't that set precedent?

Depends on your motivation and intent. if I wanted to portray myself as some kind of OC marytr who sacrificed for the people...then I would fight it tooth and nail in court no mater the poutcom if for no other reason than to garner media attention to the cause. hopefully, the courts would see things my way and it would make positive change for all affected. It very well would set precedent, but someone, maybe many, have to fight to change the current reality...youknow, the political one.

if fighting the good fight was my true motivation, then the repurcussions would not matter. I would make the sacrifice.

now, if like some, i wanted a new motorcycle and the ability to faux fight for a cause.....the dollar is king.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
smokingmem wrote:
Dude, look at your user name.

Your pathological obsession with mark is beginning to look like stalking. And the very existence of your account with that name is an insult to every member here.
Why. what makes you think my nAME HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR MASTER?

Maybe it means "smoking my ends maaann!"

Whe YOU assume, you make an ...well, you already know. Why do you care about my name so much.

Leave me alone.

Oscarr

imported post

Do you think you could find a lawyer willing to take the case to court? I (unfortunately) don't see many lawyers going around advertising their pro-gun stances and willingness to defend our rights.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Oscarr wrote:
Do you think you could find a lawyer willing to take the case to court? I (unfortunately) don't see many lawyers going around advertising their pro-gun stances and willingness to defend our rights.

i am sure you could find one. From what i have heard, mem correct me if i am wrong, but his case was settled because he could not find a lawyer with enough lack of scruples (now we know how hard that is) to even take his case.

that should say something. If there is an opportunity to make money and notoriety, there is a lawyer somewhere willing to take it....Johnny Cochran?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

derf wrote:
I don't think people can effectively police themselves.
I do. That's why I'm a Conservative, small-government advocate.

By the way, the police ARE the citizens. We forget that at our peril, but I understand you are classifying the police separately from the main body of the citizenry.