• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talked to National City

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

I talked to National City customer service and they explained that they do not have a dedicated security section that I could talk to, she was unable to find a written policy regarding firearms. She went to her supervisor and was informed that issues like this are handled at the branch level, basically it is up to the branch manager.

I mentioned that it would be nice to have something on the doors so that others who are carrying will be able to know before they enter. I am still waiting to see if the branch manager calls me back with the information that she was able to gather.

ISMOID

imported post

I just got off the phone with the branch manager. She told me that there is a policy that says there are to be no guns in the bank. She also pointed out that it is private property, and our own pamphlet says no guns in banks.
I told her that I understand that it is private property and she is free to ban firearms but it would be nice if she posted a sign to show others that they are not welcome there. I was told that I am the only one who has ever walked into the bank with a gun and that I am just wanting to argue because I have an agenda to push.
She is going to have someone from corporate call soon to explain it further. Maybe then I can push my "agenda".

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Sorry to butt in here from out of state, but how does she know that YOU are the only one carrying? She just might have the shock of (and I am age assuming here) her young life just how many law abiding carriers there are in her branch. Just my thought nothing more.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ISMOID wrote:
I just got off the phone with the branch manager. She told me that there is a policy that says there are to be no guns in the bank. She also pointed out that it is private property, and our own pamphlet says no guns in banks.
I told her that I understand that it is private property and she is free to ban firearms but it would be nice if she posted a sign to show others that they are not welcome there. I was told that I am the only one who has ever walked into the bank with a gun and that I am just wanting to argue because I have an agenda to push.
She is going to have someone from corporate call soon to explain it further. Maybe then I can push my "agenda".
I hope you pointed out that no guns in banks only applies to non-CPL holders.

SQLtables

imported post

I think you're handling this well, but I'd like to point out one thing.

It is very easy for a business to just throw up a "no guns" sign, so suggesting that they do so may not always be the best course of action. If they have no sign, I can't be charged for trespassing for carrying there until they ask me to leave once.

Either way, good job following through with this.

Michigander

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
It is very easy for a business to just throw up a "no guns" sign, so suggesting that they do so may not always be the best course of action.
I know I've said this a lot, but it's good to remember that the no guns signs are a healthy symptom of open carry success. Not everyone will use such a sign, so there will always be those pro gun establishments that will welcome your business.

I agree with you totally that they aren't desirable, but I actually look forward to the day when you see them all across Michigan. ;)

SQLtables

imported post

Michigander wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
It is very easy for a business to just throw up a "no guns" sign, so suggesting that they do so may not always be the best course of action.
I know I've said this a lot, but it's good to remember that the no guns signs are a healthy symptom of open carry success. Not everyone will use such a sign, so there will always be those pro gun establishments that will welcome your business.

I agree with you totally that they aren't desirable, but I actually look forward to the day when you see them all across Michigan. ;)

I agree, and I support anybodys right to put up such a sign. What I'm saying is that putting up a sign is much easier than looking into the issue and thinking about it, so telling them they should put up a sign might make them do just that without thinking about the real issue.

Yes, a sign let's me know where NOT to go, but I'd rather see a sign after a business has thought about and discussed the issue.

ISMOID

imported post

Just received a call from Mr. Bennet from the National City Security Dept. Seems they are the ones that dictate firearm policy in the branches, not the branch managers. He was very nice to talk too, not like the branch manager, complete opposite actually.

Sadly, though, their policy is no firearms in the branch offices. I explained that if that is the policy then how about something to let patrons know that, i.e. a sign on the door. He said that he would take care of that so that people are not hassled when they are in the bank.

On a side note he said that National City still allows their security people to carry. But since they are merging with PCM they will loose that ability.

T Vance

imported post

Just get a new bank. I used to use Nation City and I did not like them. They open late, and close early. Try TCF if you have one by you, or maybe a local Credit Union. Just my opinion.

Veritas

imported post

Michigander wrote:

On the surface, "No Gun" signs seem like a bad thing. But keep in mind that 1 in 4 Americans own guns. That's about 76 million Americans. As they start to see "No Gun" signs, many of them will probably get pretty pissed off and make a 2A stand.

Bring the signs on. I'll either do business elsewhere, or if that's not feasible, then I will simply conceal and enter anyway. They'll never know I have it unless my (or their) life depends on it... at which point, all they have me on is trespassing. And that's if they want the bad PR for pressing the issue after a justified situation.

Veritas

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Just get a new bank. I used to use Nation City and I did not like them. They open late, and close early. Try TCF if you have one by you, or maybe a local Credit Union. Just my opinion.
Hahaha... not TCF. For real... besides the hours, there's not much else there. Not unless you like paying an average of $250 a year in fees (that's what the average account holder pays).

I won't publicly disclose my position, but I have very intimate knowledge of their operations... believe me. I used to work for them for years... not exactly an entry-level position, either. I'll say no more about my affiliation with them, though.

Just to give you a taste, they fabricate ways to cause multiple overdrafts. For instance, if you have $500 in your account then write a check for $450 and swipe your debit card for $51 on the same day the check hits the account; they will deduct the check against your balance then whack you $35 for going negative $1 from the card transaction. When the card transaction physically posts to the account a day or two later, they will whack you again. In effect, hitting you twice for the same transaction.

Or say there's $200 in your account and you swipe your card for $180... but on the same day, checks for $5, $10, $15, and $20 hits your account, they will ALWAYS post the larger items first in order to create more overdrafts. So what you'll see is $180 deducted from $200, then $20 deducted from the remaining $20... causing the $5, $10, and $15 transactions to charge you $105. The alternative is to post in the order they were presented, or to post lowest first (causing only a $35 fee)... but that would be too honest.

Another neat trick they started in the last 60 days is to start charging you for money you use from checks you deposit (until they clear). If you deposit a check for $1,000 with a teller, then turn around and withdraw $500 from the teller... you won't be charged. But if you deposit the check then walk outside to the ATM, or swipe your card for gas, you will pay a $35 fee for it.

I know the easy answer is "don't overdraw your account and there won't be any problems". But in these economic times, it happens to the best of us. Credit card companies are prohibited by an act of LAW from gouging customers... but the average TCF customer is paying upwards of 5,300% for their overdraft charges. In other words, the average TCF overdraft amount is about $17... but the average overdraft fee is $35. When you factor in the short time to pay back the "loan", the "interest rate" works out to be about 5,300%. It's ludicrous. They get around TILA (Truth in Lending Act) laws by referring to the fee as a "handling charge" rather than referring to it as fee for paying an NSF item. But ask any manager why they charge overdraft fees, and their default answer will typically equate the overdraft as a short term loan and that the fee is the price you pay for "borrowing" money. A direct violation of TILA (this goes for any bank, for that matter).

Nevermind the fact that TCF generates small fees here and there for miscellaneous things that might cause people close to overdrafting to get pushed over the edge.

A lot of banks are starting to do this, but TCF is getting out of hand with it. And where they used to be more accomdating with fee reversals, they are no longer this way. You are allowed one $35 fee reversal per year, basically (details vary, but that's the long and short of it in most cases). Over the years, they have morphed into a pretty awful banking institution. More so in the last 3 months.

There are ways to "negotiate" yourself out of these problems... though if you do it too many times, you're liable to get a friendly letter in the mail that says you've got 14 days to take your business elsewhere. PM me if you ever get into trouble with them and I'll tell you how to go about fixing them up good and proper.

Veritas

imported post

ISMOID wrote:
To be honest I rarely ever go inside a bank. Most everything I have is done via Direct Deposits, Online Banking, and ATM. I also use Credit Unions so I can live with it.
Credit Unions are really where it's at. They care more about account holders than stockholders.

If you can set your banking relationship up with direct deposits and online banking (which most folks do anyways), you can get around the crappy hours credit unions work around. The interest rates are a heck of a lot better too... both for loans and deposits.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ISMOID wrote:
I talked to National City customer service and they explained that they do not have a dedicated security section that I could talk to, she was unable to find a written policy regarding firearms. She went to her supervisor and was informed that issues like this are handled at the branch level, basically it is up to the branch manager.

I mentioned that it would be nice to have something on the doors so that others who are carrying will be able to know before they enter. I am still waiting to see if the branch manager calls me back with the information that she was able to gather.

Why are you asking a question that need not be asked?

Why are you asking this entity to post their establishment?

There seems to be a contagion running amuck causing our member to work against gun rights - please try to find an anti-dote.

Don't ask, don't tell - just carry. if asked to leave, then just leave - NEVER suggest the store be POSTED!

autosurgeon

imported post

Mike wrote:
ISMOID wrote:

Why are you asking a question that need not be asked?

Why are you asking this entity to post their establishment?

There seems to be a contagion running amuck causing our member to work against gun rights - please try to find an anti-dote.

Don't ask, don't tell - just carry. if asked to leave, then just leave - NEVER suggest the store be POSTED!
I have to side Mike on this... I have had one store that the owner asked me if he could post... I said sure but then I asked him why would you want to run off the good guys with guns?? He looked at me funny and then grinned and said well if you put it that way!! Anyway he has not posted his business in fact he had me talk with and educate all his employees and I gave them all fliers. Then he told them it was their call ... if they are comfortable with the person who is carrying then they decide how to handle it. He let them know he has no problem with it. So far they all "that currently work there are supportive and I know that the two night clerks CC on duty as they have showed me.

I don't bring up posting BC I figure if they see enough people doing it over a period of time with no ill ffects then they just might decide on their own to leave things well enough alone!

Also posting everyplace is one of the CC only crowds biggest arguments in MI against OC....