• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response to Article

WheelGun

imported post

This is the response I posted on the website The American Thinker regarding the article 'Why Do Liberals Bleed.' (Yes, it is discussed on another OCDO thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/27323.htmlbut that thread got off topic and nasty, so I decided to start fresh.)

Robin, you need to explore the country a bit, and find a new place to live. You need to meet people from the large section of the American landscape that do not live in either of the political extremes you describe.

I am a person who has excellent liberal credentials (former inner city teacher, filmmaker, non-hunter, environmentalist, non-drinker, non-smoker, etc.). I lived most of my life in an urban area. I hate most conservative media (Rush Limbough, Sean Hannity, etc). I would rather stop by the local library and take a drive with NPR on the radio than watch sports on television or watch NASCAR. My son is the electrical technician for the local Shakesperean theater company.

However, I am a conservative. I am a teacher, a former Reserve Police Officer (part time) and currently a member of the National Guard. I was an EMT at Ground Zero. I now live in a rural area. I have been happily married for almost 20 years and am a father of 3 children. I have been around firearms for most of my life.

I carry a firearm (often openly) as a licensed civilian, at all times except to my day job. I have traveled all over the region in which I live, from state to state, with my family, and we have never had a seriously negative encounter. I have run errands at all hours, to all sorts of places, and never had a seriously negative encounter. My children have never been picked on. My wife (since she met me) has never been harassed.

I attribute the above, for the most part, to the fact that anyone who knows my family, whether friend or foe, knows to tread lightly around them. They know who my children's dad is, and they know who my wife's husband is.

Do they fear me? I sincerely hope not. I have never been in a fight except for martial arts class. I have never gotten drunk, rarely been rude, never been loud. I look like a soldier, but take great pains to be gentle, never to intimidate. I have never tailgated anyone with my car, never had an episode of road rage. I have never punched a wall. I have never kicked my dog. I don't yell at my kids.

If people respect me, and treat my family accordingly, due 1 percent because they know I am trained with firarms, then so be it. I have a job to do. I am a father and a husband, they are my children, she is my wife.

You have the same responsibility, even if it is only to yourself. No one has the right to frighten you. You have the right to be safe and feel safe.

Get a gun. Get trained. Carry it. You do not need to make excuses to anyone.

Legba

imported post

Good post. I'm a closet NPR listener too, which is damned peculiar at a gun shop. Just a mass of contradictions the both of us.

-ljp

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, fellas, are we going to go back to all that partisan posturing and bona fides here as well? We're all like a family on this trip together, so cut it out, or so help me, I'll start swinging my hand over the back of this driver's seat and teach you all a lesson!!
:cuss:

Anyway, I thought the article would generate interest and controversy because of the particular anguish Robin was going through. We all come into contact with folks somewhat like her in our day to day lives, and understanding her painful hegira toward our side might make it easier for us to know how to react IN A HELPFUL WAY to others like her. A woman I once worked with had her home broken into at night, and she talked of how terrified she was of something like that happening to her in her "safe neighborhood". We had an interesting discussion about how to deal with such realities, of course including MY WAY of preparing for such possibilities. The discussion didn't degenerate into political name-calling at all, but I think she now has a somewhat more mature understanding of 1) the fact that it CAN happen in safe neighborhoods and 2) the fact that the good folks at 911 can't help much in the first few terrifying minutes.

Legba

imported post

Well, all neighborhoods are "safe" until they aren't, and it does no good after the fact to prepare for such contingencies (propably why it's called preparation).

I was raised by left-leaning parents, but who were not especially anti-gun. It's not a strict right/left issue in my experience, and partisan bona fides do not confer expertise on the matter in any case. The world is more complicated than such one-dimensional pigeonholing allows for, and I'm glad to hear someone challenging their preconceived notions on the subject.

That said, I've gone out of my way to avoid the partisan wrangling that has infected several threads of late. I agree that it's worse than useless and we ought to confine ourselves to our common interest in gun rights. That's the purpose of the forum and, frankly, and debates over things like political economy tend to degenerate in undignified ways.

-ljp

Loneviking

imported post

NPR? I listen to NPR as well, but you couldn't describe me as a liberal if you even wanted too. Sean Hannity I find too arrogant and obnoxious for my taste. Alex Jones is the guy whose material I like as I can go look up the documents he mentions. Glenn Beck is good, but I'm still not sure about his patriotism. I yell at my kids, but the two girls are healty well adjusted adults who I also taught some very nasty ways to take care of themselves. I have punched out a wall or two in my time, but I figure it's better than going after a person. I do have martial arts training, but age is beginning to catch up to me and I do carry pretty much every day except to my job.

Yep, I guess I'm like some others on here, just a bundle of contradictions....

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

If you've never punched a wall, I suggest giving it a try sometime. It's actually fun, whether you're stressed/angry or not.

Sometimes drywall just deserves it.

Woodchuck

imported post

WheelGun wrote:
I am a person who has excellent liberal credentials non-hunter, non-drinker, non-smoker, etc.).I would rather stop by the local library and take a drive with NPR on the radio than watch sports on television or watch NASCAR.  My son is the electrical technician for the local Shakesperean theater company.

What the heck does this ^^^

However, I am a conservative. 

Have to do with this^^^ Kinda like saying, I like chocolate syrup on my ice cream, However, I sing well.