• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Membership

Sajuuk

imported post

I found this link over on another forum and was wondering if anyone had tried it or know whether or not it's legit.

https://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp

I know I see a bit of NRA bashing on this forum, but I'm new here and had been considering an NRA membership. A friend of mine loaned me his American Rifleman magazine and I got to read some interesting articles in it.

Thoughts?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's legit. I signed up and got my membership card in the mail a few days ago. Only thing is I don't think you get the free magazine subscription. I went and subscribed to Shooting Illustrated anyhow cause it seemed like a cool magazine.

With the membership they send a survey they ask you to fill out. With that I did however have a chance to extend my membership for a reduced rate, and I decided since I got the free year, I could afford to pay $25 for another year. At that time I did get to choose a magazine subscription. But I'm not sure if I would have been able to choose the subscription without extending, so maybe you'll get it just with the free year.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Heh mine only took about a week to get my stuff. Only included in it was 1 set of stickers, membership card, letter, and survey.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All I want from the NRA is a membership card and for them to help get rid of the prohibitionof firearms in the school zone by open carriers along with the unloaded and encased firearm in a vehicle statute, No magazines no sticker just moreresults in Wi. Am I wrong?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

springfield 1911 wrote:
All I want from the NRA is a membership card and for them to help get rid of the prohibitionof firearms in the school zone by open carriers along with the unloaded and encased firearm in a vehicle statute, No magazines no sticker just moreresults in Wi. Am I wrong?
Not at all.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I use to bash the NRA on here quite a bit. Then I talked to a few people and learned a few things and now I don't bash "quite" as much.

The NRA does more than you think, but probably... scratch that... Assuredly NOT as much as we'd wish.

Some of the most pricipled people in the world I know hate the NRA, and I know they have their reasons. That doesn't mean they are right, but I know they have thought about it.

On the other hand I DO know the NRA has funded legal expenses here in Wisconsin for OC issues. They deserve credit for that. There is an inherent failure of "large" organizations who take a "macro" approach to be able to address the "micro" issues that make the difference locally. On a philosophical level DOESN'T THAT TOTALLY make the case for what our founding fathers believed? (that local control beats the hell out of a national heavy-handed government?) I digress.

The reality is that even amongst ourselves, we have a large number of factions. There are those who thought OC was just at "path" to forcing the legislature into a CC permit system (and many were happy with that)

There are others (like myself) who started out wanting nothing more than a CC permit system and though "if OC is all I can get, I'll do that but I'd rather CC". And after having thought about it and immersed myself in the issues, I now believe OC is a far better freedom-minded, issue-solving, option than CC.

At the end of the day, we should all be mindful of our ultimate goal. (while at the same time we consider how our goals relate to the founding principles of freedom) And do what we can to move the ball forward for each other, and with each other. We should have thick skin when we discuss the details we diverge on, and focus on the issues we agree on. We should disagree where we must with respect and agree where we can with the strength and fortitude that cannot be disputed or refuted.

With that, we will suceed.