• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from Wisconsin to Indiana - How can I OC?

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm going to be visiting a buddy of mine sometime later this summer, and from what I've read, I'm led to believe that out-of-state OCers are subject to their own states' position on OC. Is this right? If so, would that mean I don't need to do anything to OC since Wisconsin doesn't require a license or permit to OC? If not, what will I need to get to do so? I don't suppose a hunter's safety completion matters.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
I'm going to be visiting a buddy of mine sometime later this summer, and from what I've read, I'm led to believe that out-of-state OCers are subject to their own states' position on OC. Is this right? If so, would that mean I don't need to do anything to OC since Wisconsin doesn't require a license or permit to OC? If not, what will I need to get to do so? I don't suppose a hunter's safety completion matters.
Indiana makes no distinction between OC and CC. In order to carry, in any fashion, in Indiana, you need a permit. If your state should have a permit, Indiana may recognize it. If you don't have a permit, you can't carry.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Again, Wisconsin doesn't have any kind of gun permits that I'm aware of. Does this mean if you are free to carry in your state, you can't carry in Indiana?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

MadisonRebel wrote:
Again, Wisconsin doesn't have any kind of gun permits that I'm aware of. Does this mean if you are free to carry in your state, you can't carry in Indiana?
Permit-less states are out of luck in Indiana.

Timjoebillybob

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
MadisonRebel wrote:
Permit-less states are out of luck in Indiana.
You can get a non resident permit from Utah or Fl though. But yes you are out of luck without a permit. IN honors all state issued permits, but you have to have a permit.
IN does offer a non resident permit but has very strict guidelines, I think you have to be a business or have regular employment in IN to get a non resident.

IC 35-47-2-4

(f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.