• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is OC going? What can be done to help the cause?

wrightme

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
x-sheeple wrote:
Yes, I understand that...in Monroe, LA there is a city ordinace which states you must have an I.D. on your person if you are walking down the sidewalk. In other words if you are walking in town and a police officer stops and asks to see your I.D. and you don,t have one...you could go to jail...at his discretion
Would not pass the first round in a court of law.

Wrong again Bucko.

Almost any major city has a similar ordinances. Don't have access, but I am pretty sure there is also a state law similar to that.

i watch it get prosecuted in court every week.

Not saying it is right, but it does happen.
Then in accord with OCDO forum Rule 7 you should be able to provide citations of statute for this "show us your papers" law?

jnmtwo

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Local ordinances that may require ID could be posted. That info could keep some people out of trouble.

There is not a LA state 'stop and ID' statute that I can find. Can't find a St. Tammany parish or Slidell city ordinance. Sterile carry couldn't work if the law/ordinance existed (RAS to PC in one quick step). That means, for me, if I'm being detained and if it is demanded, I'll verballyprovide name, address, and answer as to my travel/activity. I believe I am legally required, if it is demanded, to do so. Ifa LEO reaches for his taser, I'll also provide DOB. If he draws his taser I'll...

imported post

Why is it most discussions begin with the search for some "law" which prohibits or demands something of you?
Try approaching it from the opposite direction. Do you or do you not have the RIGHT to do such and such?
If you have the right to exist without being ID'd by any government entity, how can there possibly be a "law" demanding you produce ID?
Thanks to the fairly recent and absurd Hibbell ruling, it appears you may have to ORALLY identify WHO you are, by name.
Anything beyond that is a stretch, including DOB.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Why is it most discussions begin with the search for some "law" which prohibits or demands something of you?
Try approaching it from the opposite direction. Do you or do you not have the RIGHT to do such and such?
No. The state-believers reject natrual law.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

No. The state-believers reject natrual law.

jnmtwo

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What I posted is a decision I made solelyfor myself, so I'm not advocating others do anything they aren't comfortable doing. Part of my choice isfrom theHibel case andthat is why I would provide ID verbally.

The DOB would be provided in an attempt to avoid being tased. A joke. XD-GEM was right, I should use those yellow things.

corrected Hibbell

wrightme

imported post

If you have the right to exist without being ID'd by any government entity, how can there possibly be a "law" demanding you produce ID?
Thanks to the fairly recent and absurd Hibbell ruling, it appears you may have to ORALLY identify WHO you are, by name.
Because, unfortunately, many regulations are in place that are violations of our rights. Stating that they are Rights is currently insufficient. For those who are willing to stand on principle and risk arrest, that is fine. For those who are not willing (or financially unable, or unable due to employment constraints), being aware of relevant statutes is a must.

Even IF a person is willing and able to place themselves in the position of "test case," knowing the statute is wise. In this case, no one has even shown that there is a valid statute.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
x-sheeple wrote:
Yes, I understand that...in Monroe, LA there is a city ordinace which states you must have an I.D. on your person if you are walking down the sidewalk. In other words if you are walking in town and a police officer stops and asks to see your I.D. and you don,t have one...you could go to jail...at his discretion

Wrong again Bucko.

Almost any major city has a similar ordinances. Don't have access, but I am pretty sure there is also a state law similar to that.

I am fairly certain the the US Supreme Court has ruled that to be unconstitutional. I think it may be part of the Terry v Ohio ruling on which Louisiana's CCRP 215.1 is based. I believe that the logic behind the USSC decision is that it violates both the 4th and 5th amendments; those amendments have already been incorporated against the states (and the municipalities as sub to state).

Another poster in a different forum talking about this issue in New York has quoted two other USSC decisions which I am not familiar with. Jared wrote:

You should NOT carry ID at all times. You are only obligated to have ID when doing something that would otherwise be illegal without a license ie. driving a car, carrying a pistol etc. The Supreme Court has rules TWICE on this matter. Kolender v Lawson and Hibel v. 6th Judicial Cir. of Nevada. NYPD's "policy" of taking people in who do not have ID on them can subject them to a 42 USC 1983 lawsuit. I hope this guy drains the bank accounts of every officer involved in this nonsense. NYPD is not above the law. The Supreme Court has spoken.... not once but TWICE on this issue.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26092&forum_id=40&highlight=Supreme+Court+ID

If Jared is correct, any smart LEO will not ask for a driver's license if the person he stops is not doing something for which a driver's licens is required.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
x-sheeple wrote:

Wrong again Bucko.

I am fairly certain the the US Supreme Court has ruled that to be unconstitutional. I think it may be part of the Terry v Ohio ruling on which Louisiana's CCRP 215.1 is based. I believe that the logic behind the USSC decision is that it violates both the 4th and 5th amendments; those amendments have already been incorporated against the states (and the municipalities as sub to state).

Another poster in a different forum talking about this issue in New York has quoted two other USSC decisions which I am not familiar with. Jared wrote:

You should NOT carry ID at all times. You are only obligated to have ID when doing something that would otherwise be illegal without a license ie. driving a car, carrying a pistol etc. The Supreme Court has rules TWICE on this matter. Kolender v Lawson and Hibel v. 6th Judicial Cir. of Nevada. NYPD's "policy" of taking people in who do not have ID on them can subject them to a 42 USC 1983 lawsuit. I hope this guy drains the bank accounts of every officer involved in this nonsense. NYPD is not above the law. The Supreme Court has spoken.... not once but TWICE on this issue.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26092&forum_id=40&highlight=Supreme+Court+ID

If Jared is correct, any smart LEO will not ask for a driver's license if the person he stops is not doing something for which a driver's licens is required.

you might be right. I wasn't looking at it. I may have been thining of the "verbally identifying yourself". but i do remember, and it may have been a local ordnance, but I thought it was a state code, that you had to have ID on your person at all times.

Will look it up when I get a chance.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Because, unfortunately, many regulations are in place that are violations of our rights. Stating that they are Rights is currently insufficient. For those who are willing to stand on principle and risk arrest, that is fine. For those who are not willing (or financially unable, or unable due to employment constraints), being aware of relevant statutes is a must.

Even IF a person is willing and able to place themselves in the position of "test case," knowing the statute is wise. In this case, no one has even shown that there is a valid statute.

I actually agree with you 100%. I do believe government has become too big in many areas.

SOme people lack the courage to be the test case and instead settle for a check.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

I actually agree with you 100%. I do believe government has become too big in many areas.

SOme people lack the courage to be the test case and instead settle for a check.
It's sad the government employs morally bereft murderers and tyrants who create the need for test cases.

wrightme

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

You simply cannot prevent the personal digs in your posts, can you. I suppose you can rationalize that obvious character flaw in some way. :?

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

You simply cannot prevent the personal digs in your posts, can you. I suppose you can rationalize that obvious character flaw in some way. :?
I rationalize it by realizing no matter what i do in life, at least I am not you, smokingcrack24/7, or THE mem.

As long as I never fall into on e of those categories, I think I will be OK.

You know the saying...Birds of a cuckoo's nest, post together.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

It's sad the government employs morally bereft murderers and tyrants who create the need for test cases.

That is correct.

wrightme

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

I rationalize it by realizing no matter what i do in life, at least I am not you, smokingcrack24/7, or THE mem.

You really know nothing of me to jump to your false conclusion. More the pity.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

But yet you know so much of me to make the comments and assumptions you do.

More more the pity.

wrightme

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

More more the pity.
What you post here provides quite a window into your psyche. So does what I post here. Viewing those two objects with an open mind will open your mind.

Even when you are not provoked in a thread, you freely lace any response you give with putdowns to those you do not agree with, even when they are not participating in the thread. You are nothing but a troll when it comes to these forums. Your inability to stop this act does say quite a bit about your character. Lumping me in with those who trade insults with you is not accurate.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:
wrightme wrote:

More more the pity.
What you post here provides quite a window into your psyche. So does what I post here. Viewing those two objects with an open mind will open your mind.

Even when you are not provoked in a thread, you freely lace any response you give with putdowns to those you do not agree with, even when they are not participating in the thread. You are nothing but a troll when it comes to these forums. Your inability to stop this act does say quite a bit about your character. Lumping me in with those who trade insults with you is not accurate.

Others do the same that you are accusing me of, yet you do not attempt to impose your opinions upon them. If you do not like my posts, can you not just ignore them and not respond. Didn't your mother ever teach you if you ignore them, they will leave you alone.

If you believe that the internet is a window into someone's pysche'. then you definitely belong to the group of instables like those you defend so vehemently.

wrightme

imported post

nolacopusmc wrote:
Others do the same that you are accusing me of, yet you do not attempt to impose your opinions upon them. If you do not like my posts, can you not just ignore them and not respond. Didn't your mother ever teach you if you ignore them, they will leave you alone.

If you believe that the internet is a window into someone's pysche'. then you definitely belong to the group of instables like those you defend so vehemently
So far it is working well as a window. You held true to form there.

You tell me I could simply "ignore your posts," yet you do not do the same with those who you disagree with.

But, I sure do see it is useless to even respond to you. It results in back/forth like this.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
nolacopusmc wrote:

If you believe that the internet is a window into someone's pysche'. then you definitely belong to the group of instables like those you defend so vehemently
So far it is working well as a window. You held true to form there.

You tell me I could simply "ignore your posts," yet you do not do the same with those who you disagree with.

But, I sure do see it is useless to even respond to you. It results in back/forth like this.

Do you lack the ability to ignore others' posts as well. it appears that you are only promulgating that which you detest.