• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fuddruckers goes antigun

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/fudruckers-goes-antigun/

Today, my wife and I had errands to run in Richmond. Since we were in the area of Parham and Broad, we decided to eat at Fuddruckers.
As I got to the door, I stopped dead in my tracks. On the door was lettering that said "No Guns". As it happens, my gun was in the car anyway, but I absolutely refuse to patronize a business that doesn't believe in one of the most basic Virginia Rights.
We have eaten at Fuddruckers for years and on occasion, gone there with VCDL members after meetings.
I told my wife we were going to the River City Diner and would meet her in the car.
I went in and asked for the manager. She came out and I gave her a card. I asked how long the sign had beeen there, knowing it hadn't been long. She said they were robbed a couple of weeks ago and the next morning the sign went up.
I told her that they were going to lose a lot of business. She said I could bring my gun in if I wanted. I explained it wasn't the gun, it was the principle and as long as that sign was still there, I wouldn't come back.
I also explained that if lawful gun owners had been carrying then, the thieves would have looked for an easier target,
So Fuddruckers is on the Old Virginia blacklist. Hopefully the thousands of law abiding gun owners in the area will take notice,
437__320x240__mg_5733.jpg

fud2.jpg

6L6GC

imported post

Well, glory be!! Now it is not possible for them to be robbed again since they don't allow guns in there. See how easy it is? Wish I'd thunk 'o that.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

You know, I was sitting here re-reading Peter Nap's post about Fuddruckers. I plan to send a letter of complaint.

We always say that hitting these businesses in the wallet is what impacts them. I also think what impacts them is public outcry when an incident is fresh, like Peter Nap's.

So do this....Sit down and write yourself a letter....in your own words, not a form letter posted here for everyone to send. Keep it generic enough that you don't need to rewrite it for each instance. Save it on your computer. When one of us has an incident, print your letter, change whatever needs to be changed and drop it in the mail. Make the effort to send a letter. Imagine a business's mailbox when 20 letters arrive in a week. Let them know in your letter that you will not be frequenting their business due to their stance. If I never go to Fuddruckers again due to someone else's incident, does Fuddruckers really know that? Do they miss my revenue? No, because they never knew that they might have had it. If you have a "frequent customer card" or a coupon for that business, send it with your letter to let them know that you won't be using it.

possumboy

imported post

I would not say FuddRucker in general.

There is no sign on the one in Woodbridge, unless they were robbed recently and also expect someone to show up at the door, see the sign, and say "Aww shucks, we are going to have to go someone else to commit armed robbery."

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I ate at Fudruckers just the other day (while OCing) in Herndon. Had no problems.

Shouldn't the sign read "No robbing"? I am sure that would work I mean how can you disobey a sign

GWbiker

imported post

peter nap wrote:
She (manager) said they were robbed a couple of weeks ago and the next morning the sign (No Guns) went up.
I gotta' borrow that managers statement to add to my collection of stupid remarks made by anti guns people.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If they allowed him to bring his gun in, they're not too far gone, or too set on their principle.

But, busting their chops will encourage them to dig in their heels.

I would suggest a soft, gentle approach. Maybe Philip or a VCDL Board member can call or visit.

In Peter's shoes, maybe a return visit with a gentle acknowledgement that, "I over-reacted. I appreciate that you were willing to let me carry despite the sign. It really says something about trust. Thank you. Sincerely. It must have been scary as hell for the staff at the time of the robbery. And it must create some real anxiety wondering when it will happen next and whether anyone will get hurt." Then drop it right there.

Wait a few days, let that last discussion sink in, thenvisit again. Onlyat this pointremonstrate with them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
If they allowed him to bring his gun in, they're not too far gone, or too set on their principle.

But, busting their chops will encourage them to dig in their heels.

I would suggest a soft, gentle approach. Maybe Philip or a VCDL Board member can call or visit.

In Peter's shoes, maybe a return visit with a gentle acknowledgement that, "I over-reacted. I appreciate that you were willing to let me carry despite the sign. It really says something about trust. Thank you. Sincerely. It must have been scary as hell for the staff at the time of the robbery. And it must create some real anxiety wondering when it will happen next and whether anyone will get hurt." Then drop it right there.

Wait a few days, let that last discussion sink in, thenvisit again. Onlyat this pointremonstrate with them.
Not me, I have a zero tolerance policy!
I did email it to Philip, he can soft soap them if he wants to.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ken Cucinelli had a meet and greet at Fuddruckers not too long ago. A preponderance of attendees were OCing.

We have eaten there as a group after VCDL meetings - not likely again under the present circumstances.

How this will help a business that has been steadily declining is beyond me.

Yata hey

mercutio545

imported post

I go to this Fuddruckers at least once a month with my girlfriend. Not going there anymore until that notice is taken down.

As far as post-meeting fellowship, Topekas is always a good choice. Right next to the library. I have never had an issue carrying there.

Elkad

imported post

My first Open Carry was while working as a cook at a Fuddruckers many years ago in Clackamas OR. Wanted an easy/comfortable costume for Halloween, so I went as a cowboy. Complete with a 22LR pistol w/bone grips, as it was the only gun I owned that fit the costume.

And Fudd's is a franchise, so even if one store has a policy, it doesn't mean the next will.

hsmith

imported post

I applaud any business owner who is doing so well these days that they can afford to turn away customers.

Bravo!

curtiswr

imported post

:banghead::banghead:

That's a shame. Rather sad, actually. You would think that being robbed would further instill the idea that "man, we need to allow the good guys to continue to carry." All they are doing is making their restaurant even more of a target.

Guess I'll be sticking to Carytown Burgers & Fries and Five Guys from now on.

I remember the Heller celebration we had there with Cuccinelli... one entire side of the restaurant was packed. That's quite a bit of people to be turning away.