• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slightly OT: Where to Shoot Air Pistol (Pierce County)

kwiebe

imported post

Curiously, within the city of Tacoma it's illegal to carry or shoot an air pistol, even on my own property. But I'm thinking it would be a good, inexpensive practice strategy (assuming I can shoot it someplace close by).

Anyone know of a place in the county?

bugly

imported post

personally, I don't condone the public use of "airsoft" type pistols, reason being; too many of them look like the real thing and could land you in some legal trouble. The laws concerning open carry are not fully understood by the population and could make a change for the worse for us. The above response is probably your best option, since the worst thing that could happen is to injure someone in your house or break a window, etc. Practice caution with ANY weapon, whether you think its dangerous or not. Or you could go to a shooting range and let them look at you funny...

Hammer

imported post

I took the OP's question to relate to a pellet or BB gun, not an airsoft style.
Fortunately for me, it is legal where I live, so my range is set up in the back yard. So is my hunting grounds. The squirrel population suffers.
But if ya gotta go outside the city limits, I guess you'd want to see if there might be a pellet gun range set up anywhere close. A good backstop or trap is all that's needed. You can find and print targets from the 'net.
I have target grade pistol and rifle. Both offer all the firearms skills except recoil handling. And they may help overcome a flinch, if you're so inclined.

bugly wrote:
personally, I don't condone the public use of "airsoft" type pistols, reason being; too many of them look like the real thing and could land you in some legal trouble. The laws concerning open carry are not fully understood by the population and could make a change for the worse for us. The above response is probably your best option, since the worst thing that could happen is to injure someone in your house or break a window, etc. Practice caution with ANY weapon, whether you think its dangerous or not. Or you could go to a shooting range and let them look at you funny...

PolskiG

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I took the OP's question to relate to a pellet or BB gun, not an airsoft style.
Fortunately for me, it is legal where I live, so my range is set up in the back yard. So is my hunting grounds. The squirrel population suffers.

One summer back when I was a lad, I took out roughy 30 squirrels with my old Daisy pump bb rifle, made me a fine hat and a pair of matching slippers, which sadly to say got destoryed in the washing machine, not much of a sewer. The other squirrel carcasses I hucked into my neighbors pool, that'll teach em to yell at me for my semi-loud birthday bash I had

kparker

imported post

It's fairly easy to make an effect indoor backstop/pellet trap, especially if you're shooting a pellet handgun or a pump-style air rifle that you can give fewer than the max pumps. All it takes is a few layers of phone book/catalogs/etc.

I use this kind of setup all the time (note I'm in U.P. not Tacoma so this setup, indoors or out, is perfectly legal here.)

Misguided Child

imported post

Easy to shoot indoors, phone books in a box will stop the pellets, some duct seal (monkey snot) from the electrical dept at Lowes will stop bounce back or ricochets. I know US National team members will shootinto a roll of toilet paper in their hotel rooms when traveling.

kparker

imported post

Misguided,

Can you explain a bit more about the duct seal? I've never had a ricochet when shooting at phone books/catalogs, only when [ redacted to protect the meat-headed ].

My normal indoor target setup, for either airsoft or pellets, is a printer-paper box with some taped-together phone books or large-format magazines at the back, loosely-stuffed paper filling out the space to the front/top, and then the targets taped on the top (which becomes the front, the whole box is set vertically on the small end.)

Misguided Child

imported post

Duct seal is like clay but won't dry out on you.It is highly recommended if you have a hard backstop. I use it in front of the phone book mostly just because I got tired of shredded paper coming out of the box.

kparker

imported post

Interesting about the duct seal. Personally, I've never had the problem w/shredded paper coming out. How often do you replace the target?