Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Army Navy Store

Post imported post

Well shopping with my wife at the general Army Navy Store. What happens four TVPD officers show up ID Me ask me to conceal my firearm. I tell them no it is legal for me to carry my firearm. I told them I would leave the store instead.

I got in my car called the Taylorsville Police Chief Del Craig and had him tell their officers it was okay for me to do so I handed my phone to

LT Roise Rivera they chatted for a min handed my phone back to me. told me to have a nice day and that I will not be concealing my firearm. And told them to have a nice day.

I will be filling a complaint against the officers involved. all four of them including Roise Rivera

I have to say the staff at the store was in support of me open carrying and shoppers as well had a fellow OC'er there who was very supportive hope to see his post as well. Went very well no handcuffs this time.

Hope for some better results next time from TVPD who still remains anti gun.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Sheesh man! Do the police in Salt Lake County have"wanted posters"of you or something? What's with all of the attention?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Having a bad week not sure. Maybe it was my dennim shorts and sandals. Trying to just stay low key maybe should go back to black pants and black shirt.
    Zach

Post imported post

That sucks that you are being sought after. [img]attachment.php?id=6669[/img] Good to see that the LEO's are being informed though.

Post imported post

So what number did you call in this incident? All I do is tell them to show me the law where it FORCES me to conceal, or where it shows that it's illegal for someone under 21 to carry. I'm glad you called about that! We should go from county to county, informing all the police dept's

Post imported post

Holy crap man, I OCed for about a year and only had two police encounters. And I started before the PDs were becoming "informed"

Post imported post

I had the cell-phone number for the Chief from a previous experience.

Once I stuck to my guns about not concealing my firearm the police backed down.

BTW LT Roise Rivera the media lady may appear nice on TV but kind of bitter and not a friend of law abiding citizens
    Zach

Post imported post

I pulled into the parking lot on my bike and noticed a police officer it the parking lot to the south just standing around. Shortly after I entered General Army Navy Surplus he entered the store with another officer and they began a coordinated search of the store. They were soon joined by two other officers. I first though someone robbed the store next door and they were looking for the perp in GANS. I began paying for my purchase at the cash register by the front door when someone at the cashier in the center of the store mentioned something like, "He had a gun." The cashier ringing me up said, "There's nothing wrong with that." It was about this time that the police found gunsfreak.

When I had finished paying for my stuff I walked over to provide some moral support but the issue seemed to have been resolved. I figured that anyone who openly carried a gun and resolved the issue so quickly must be a frequent visitor here. We introduced ourselves and walked out of the store together while the store employees kept saying that they didn't call the police and had no problem with him carrying.

I suspect the call came from a couple that were sitting in their car in front of the store. Meanwhile, I'm concerned that T-ville PD has enough officers just sitting around with nothing better to do than harass people who are doing nothing wrong. Either they are over staffed or miss managed; either way, the problem needs to be corrected.

Post imported post

if i become a cop (which i really want to do) ill straighten all the utah cops out

Post imported post

Sounds like time for an FOIA request on any and all police communications on the incident, and the filing of a formal complaint for waste of police resources and a request for additional training.

Francis Marion wrote:
    I pulled into the parking lot on my bike and noticed a police officer it the parking lot to the south just standing around. Shortly after I entered General Army Navy Surplus he entered the store with another officer and they began a coordinated search of the store. They were soon joined by two other officers. I first though someone robbed the store next door and they were looking for the perp in GANS. I began paying for my purchase at the cash register by the front door when someone at the cashier in the center of the store mentioned something like, "He had a gun." The cashier ringing me up said, "There's nothing wrong with that." It was about this time that the police found gunsfreak.

When I had finished paying for my stuff I walked over to provide some moral support but the issue seemed to have been resolved. I figured that anyone who openly carried a gun and resolved the issue so quickly must be a frequent visitor here. We introduced ourselves and walked out of the store together while the store employees kept saying that they didn't call the police and had no problem with him carrying.

I suspect the call came from a couple that were sitting in their car in front of the store. Meanwhile, I'm concerned that T-ville PD has enough officers just sitting around with nothing better to do than harass people who are doing nothing wrong. Either they are over staffed or miss managed; either way, the problem needs to be corrected.

Post imported post

It is being done I have a meeting with the chief of police monday.
    Zach

Post imported post

That's awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    if i become a cop (which i really want to do) ill straighten all the utah cops out
    If you become a cop, then "I will kick you in the nuts!"
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

BTW, I have OC'd into the Taylorsville PD on at least 2 occasions and it wasn't exactly inconspicuous because I was there to get my finger prints taken.

Post imported post

lol thats how I met Chief Del-Craig was OC when I was speaking to him about my last run in with his officer at summers wood Apt complex Charges were dropped

The only thing he said was you can't bring that into court. Other then that it was never brought up

Wish his officers would understand this

I am making it very clear I will be at taylorsville days on the 26th and I want no problems with his officers while I am their

And will request more training and senstivity training for their officers.

I hope to have a productive meeting and will post the results soon
    Zach

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    lol thats how I met Chief Del-Craig was OC when I was speaking to him about my last run in with his officer at summers wood Apt complex Charges were dropped

The only thing he said was you can't bring that into court. Other then that it was never brought up

Wish his officers would understand this

I am making it very clear I will be at taylorsville days on the 26th and I want no problems with his officers while I am their

And will request more training and senstivity training for their officers.

I hope to have a productive meeting and will post the results soon
    Hey! I'm going to be attending Taylorsville Dayz as well. Hope to see you there. I'll be OC my 9mm S&W in a Serpa Holster while with my Wife and In-Laws probably.

Post imported post

I plan to be in the Taylorsville Dayz parade OCing...

wearing this...

and driving this...

Post imported post

Where did you get that beautiful GPW?

Post imported post

First, it's a MUTT and not a GPW, and I got it from a team mate in Iraq who lives at Twentynine Palms, CA.

Post imported post

Awsome uniform and vechicle.
    Zach

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    Awsome uniform and vechicle.
    I was picking up the sleeve rank during your incident described above.

Post imported post

Nice

I spoke with the Chief of police Del-Craig today by cellphone I informed him of the incident at the GANS. He stated he would look into it and call me back by the first of July.

I asked for compliance with his officers when approching a person carrying a firearm out in the open. I stated that when his officers approch us to verify we are legaly able to open carry. After we are verified leave us alone.

No more 15 to 20 Min talks about why we should not open carry. I told him it is not the officers job to tell me to conceal my firearm. It is not their job to harass me or tell me why I am wrong. or to keep me any longer then it is needed to verify I am legal.

I informed him that I would be a taylorsville days. And asked for his officers to more or less leave me alone and others open carrying.

I plan on attending both days and would encourage other to attend this free event. I would like to let Taylorsville Know we can not be bullied or threatend.

I plan on attending a city council meeting and voicing my opinion. Also I will be contacting Lora Miller to inform her that It is not appropriate for officers to force their oppinion on others. It is not appropriate to keep people longer then need be.

I hope the message is clear do not violate our civil rights

Zach

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    I asked for compliance with his officers when approching a person carrying a firearm out in the open. I stated that when his officers approch us to verify we are legaly able to open carry. After we are verified leave us alone.
    No, unless they have reasonable articulable suspicion that someone is committing a crime, they have no right to approach and verify anything. The courts have held that there is no exception to Terry for firearms and that mere possession of a firearm is not RAS for a stop (see Lund v Salt Lake City and JL v Florida).

Lund v Salt Lake City (2008) US District Court Civil No. 2:07-CV-0226BSJ MEMORANDUM OPINION & ORDER (Fed. R. Civ. P. 56)

Footnote 9

By itself, mere possession of a firearm in public is not unlawful and may well represent the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, § 6 of the Utah Constitution (recognizing the “individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes,” subject to the power of the Legislature to define the “lawful use of arms.”). See District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2799 (2008) (“There seems to us no doubt, on the basis of both text and history, that the Second Amendment conferred an individual right to keep and bear arms.”); see also Utah Code Ann. §§ 76-10-500 to 530 (2003 & Supp. 2008) (Utah Firearms Act). In Utah, the carrying of a concealed weapon on one’s person in public is a matter of State licensing and regulation, and is routinely permitted pursuant to the applicable State statute. See Utah Code Ann. §§ 53-5-701 to 711 (Supp. 2008). The legislature has explicitly denied local overnmental entities such as Salt Lake City the power to limit or restrict possession of a firearm on public property: “Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.” Utah Code Ann. § 53-5a-102 (Supp. 2008); see University of Utah v. Shurtleff, 2006 UT 51, ¶ 11, 144 P.3d 1109, 1113 (observing that the enactment of § 53-5a-102 in 2004 “dramatically altered the legal landscape, rendering it clear that Utah’s firearms statutes are universally applicable”). The legislature has authorized municipalities only to “regulate and prevent the discharge of firearms, rockets, powder, fireworks or any other dangerous or combustible material.” Utah Code Ann. § 10-8-47 (2007).

As articulated by the Utah Legislature, public policy in this State may fairly be read to condone and even encourage gun ownership and the lawful possession and carrying of firearms in public places. Salt Lake City’s asserted governmental interest in its police officers’ response to a report of a “man with a gun” in a public park cannot be weighed in isolation from this oft-emphasized public policy. In that context, there may well be more individual constitutional rights at stake than the Fourth Amendment freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.
    Edit: added quote from Lund v Salt Lake City

Post imported post

I can't see why this went past the operator answering the call. This is what should have happened.

"911 what is the nature of your emergency?"

"There's a man here with a gun."

"Is he committing a crime?"

"No, he just walked into a store wearing a gun."

"In Utah it is perfectly legal to carry a gun openly."

Post imported post

Nuttycomputer wrote:
    Hey! I'm going to be attending Taylorsville Dayz as well. Hope to see you there. I'll be OC my 9mm S&W in a Serpa Holster while with my Wife and In-Laws probably.
    Holy crap! Exactly how much room is there in a Serpa holster?!?!?!?:shock:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast