Thread: OT: Public records question

State Researcher

Post imported post

So in January 2008, I asked OPD if a report had been filed regarding a December 2007 stop by them. At that time I was told that no report had been filed. I have since learned that one was filed, and have the report number.

What I'm trying to determine is if this is something I can pursue as a public records act violation, or if it is even worth the trouble? I see that judicial penalties start at $5 per day which make this an attractive case to pursue if it is viable.

OTOH the trouble it might stir up may not be worth it either. FWIW I don't think I was deliberately misinformed about the lack of a report, but that does not change the fact that there was one, and that I was never informed of it.

I suppose before I go off half cocked I should find out when this report was written. I made my request on January 3, 2008. If the report was written after that then I don't really have a leg to stand on.

Post imported post

Seems to me every time I heard someone say "I didn't know" something in a courthouse, the judge always said "ignorance is no excuse". maybe it'll work for you this time and they'll have to do something for you for a change...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

bugly wrote:
    Seems to me every time I heard someone say "I didn't know" something in a courthouse, the judge always said "ignorance is no excuse". maybe it'll work for you this time and they'll have to do something for you for a change...
    I don't know, if a cop arrests you because he thought you were breaking the law and he didn't know nothing happens, but if you break the law because you didn't know your going to jail. Seems like a double standard.

Post imported post

precisely my point, maybe it's time to point this out and effect a change.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    So in January 2008, I asked OPD if a report had been filed regarding a December 2007 stop by them. At that time I was told that no report had been filed. I have since learned that one was filed, and have the report number.

What I'm trying to determine is if this is something I can pursue as a public records act violation, or if it is even worth the trouble? I see that judicial penalties start at $5 per day which make this an attractive case to pursue if it is viable.

OTOH the trouble it might stir up may not be worth it either. FWIW I don't think I was deliberately misinformed about the lack of a report, but that does not change the fact that there was one, and that I was never informed of it.

I suppose before I go off half cocked I should find out when this report was written. I made my request on January 3, 2008. If the report was written after that then I don't really have a leg to stand on.
    Did you ask or did you ask properly?

If you filed an actual FOIA request and they told you that a report did not exist then I say pursue it.

If you verbally asked them then I would let the dead dog lie.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm just gonna let this one go I've decided.