• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Public records question

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

So in January 2008, I asked OPD if a report had been filed regarding a December 2007 stop by them. At that time I was told that no report had been filed. I have since learned that one was filed, and have the report number.

What I'm trying to determine is if this is something I can pursue as a public records act violation, or if it is even worth the trouble? I see that judicial penalties start at $5 per day which make this an attractive case to pursue if it is viable.

OTOH the trouble it might stir up may not be worth it either. FWIW I don't think I was deliberately misinformed about the lack of a report, but that does not change the fact that there was one, and that I was never informed of it.

I suppose before I go off half cocked I should find out when this report was written. I made my request on January 3, 2008. If the report was written after that then I don't really have a leg to stand on.

bugly

imported post

Seems to me every time I heard someone say "I didn't know" something in a courthouse, the judge always said "ignorance is no excuse". maybe it'll work for you this time and they'll have to do something for you for a change...

FunkTrooper

imported post

bugly wrote:
Seems to me every time I heard someone say "I didn't know" something in a courthouse, the judge always said "ignorance is no excuse". maybe it'll work for you this time and they'll have to do something for you for a change...
I don't know, if a cop arrests you because he thought you were breaking the law and he didn't know nothing happens, but if you break the law because you didn't know your going to jail. Seems like a double standard.

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
So in January 2008, I asked OPD if a report had been filed regarding a December 2007 stop by them. At that time I was told that no report had been filed. I have since learned that one was filed, and have the report number.

What I'm trying to determine is if this is something I can pursue as a public records act violation, or if it is even worth the trouble? I see that judicial penalties start at $5 per day which make this an attractive case to pursue if it is viable.

OTOH the trouble it might stir up may not be worth it either. FWIW I don't think I was deliberately misinformed about the lack of a report, but that does not change the fact that there was one, and that I was never informed of it.

I suppose before I go off half cocked I should find out when this report was written. I made my request on January 3, 2008. If the report was written after that then I don't really have a leg to stand on.
Did you ask or did you ask properly?

If you filed an actual FOIA request and they told you that a report did not exist then I say pursue it.

If you verbally asked them then I would let the dead dog lie.