• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4th LEO encounter!

I am...

• - Out on Bail.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • - Released of my own recognizance.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nativeofsandiego

imported post

Wow, I am sorry to hear that man. Its kind of a double edged sword. Answer too many questions and they will implicate you in something, answer no questions and they will find a reason to detain you for suspicious behavior.

I am no attorney, but it seems like you have a good lawsuit on your hands... Good luck man...

demnogis

imported post

[...] I ask "Am I being detained?" He responds "You're under arrest."
Click click click, the handcuffs come on. Officer 1 asks me if I have any other weapons. I tell him I only had my rifle and my pistol. Officer 2 then walks me over to secondary, which was a few tables lined up near a large truck. He asked me where my voice recorder was, opened my jacket and grabbed it. He says to me "You're not allowed to record our conversations because it violates my right to privacy." He looks at the front of it and says "You've also got a low battery" and lets it fall back around my neck and sits me down in a chair. He then pulled out his notepad and read my Miranda Rights off to me. I told him that for questioning I want an attorney present. During this time I did not see where Officer 1 went, but I could hear his voice in the background calling in to find exactly what penal code I had violated. I didn't catch much of the conversation, but I did hear such things as "What about 12025?", "What does 12026 say?", "It's gotta be 12031". That conversation was going on as Officer 2 was confirming the information on my drivers' license. --

Now, here's where I need to know if I made a folly or not. Officer 2 asked me if the information on my driver's license was correct. I confirmed that it was. He asked for my city of birth, which I stated. He asked for my social security number and place of employment. I asked that information really was necessary. He stated that he was starting to get miffed and that I could fill it out if I wanted to.

I could not recall, at all, whether or not that is information I have to submit to LE when being arrested. I'm assuming the bare minimum is my name, address, dob. What information do I have to provide to LE when being arrested and/or accused for a crime? Even if they do not know for certain what crime it is? I definitely would like an answer for this, should my next detainment turn into an arrest.

Moving on. Officer 2 then switches over to filling out a Probable Cause sheet. While he's filling this I can see a few other officers looking inside my motorcycle. The keys were in the ignition which also could unlock the rear storage compartment. Enter officer 3. Officer 3 then comes over to notify Officer 2 that the tow truck is here, ready to pick up my bike for impound. She informs Officer 2 that I had 2 boxes of 22LR ammo in the back of my bike. She sets these on the table across from me, with the pistol case I keep in my bike. She sets down my backpack, cargo net and other items that were tied down to the bike on the ground across the table. Officer 2 continues to fill out his PC report. In the span of a few minutes this report has turned into a small essay. Before Officer 3 leaves, she also sets down a clip-board with my keys on it, a few pieces of paper and a tow receipt. Officer 2 tells her not to let the driver leave yet because they don't know what's happening yet. She goes about her way and I don't see her again.

In the background I still faintly hear Officer 1's voice. Then, I didn't hear his voice anymore and he walked to a different part of the parking lot. I looked to my right and there were 2 LEOs sitting at computers. They looked back at me but their expressions were indescribable. I then hear Officer 1 call for Officer 2. He stops filling out his PC report and goes over to him. I don't see where they go or hear them for a minute or two. Officer 2 asks another officer at the table to keep an eye on me.

Another few minutes go by. One of the officers in tactical gear (officer 4) asks me where I heard about carrying, and if I was part of any organization. I told him that I am not part of any organization and that I found out about carrying through the laws available for everyone to read, californiaopencarry.org and online discussions. He says "Cool. Nice." then walks over to assist another officer near the street.

This whole time I'm sitting at this table; wondering to myself: "Do my parents have access to enough cash to post bail tonight?", "Should I get TMLLP, or Bruce Colodny?", "When I get let go, will I get my guns back?". During this whole incident I'm sitting there in the chair. I wasn't worried about spending the night in a holding cell. I wasn't worried about what my friends and family would think. Above anything, I was saddened that I'd have to call my parents at 1:00 in the morning to pick me up from the PD station and that I would miss the RWVA event on Fathers' Day weekend.

Then I hear it, clear as day, in the background: "Sarge? Hey sarge, can you come here? I made a mistake..."
:shock::D :celebrate

At that moment I knew what the word was. I kind of giggled to myself. Stupid, I know, but it was because all the dumb worries I had were shed. I would, in fact, get to make the RWVA shoot. A minute or two goes past. Officer 2 then comes back to the table. He picks up the pistol case from my bike's storage compartment, opens it, then places my pistol inside. He took the magazines out of the belt mag holder and places them inside the case as well.

Officer 1 then comes back to the table. He instructs me to stand up and walk with him. We walk over to a police truck where his Sargent is standing. He turns me around, unlocks my handcuffs and says: "What this is, is a technicality. You were right and I was wrong. I thought I knew the law but I didn't. I'm very, very sorry that this happened and that we took up so much of your time. We're going to give you all of your things back, dust you off and send you on your way. Hopefully nothing bad will come of this. Again, I apologize, you were correct about the law and I wasn't. I had thought that you couldn't have loaded magazines and a firearm on you." -- A complete reversal in demeanor from earlier[sup](+)[/sup]. --

The seargent walks off and Officer 2 takes his place next to Officer 1. Officer 2 hands me a carbon copy sheet of paper and says "This is basically a paper saying that we did detain you, we did not have any probable cause to detain you and there was no evidence of any crime committed or law being broken." Officer 1 gets out his note pad and starts writing down information. "Here's my number, my badge number and my name. Here's also the number for dispatch and the station. If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to call. I'll file a report on this and send an e-mail out to everyone to let them know about carrying firearms and the laws."

From here on it's the cliff's notes on dialogue.

The three of us stood there talking about the philosophy of openly carrying, times it's OK to draw and times it's not. Officer 2 gave me one of his cards and told me to call him to do a ride-along to maybe get a feel for the other side of things. He explicitly told me I wouldn't be allowed to carry, though. Officer 1 and I chatted for about another 20 minutes about different ranges, qualifiying, being prepared should someone need to draw, advantages and disadvantages to open and concealed carrying, etc. We agreed that the discussion of pros/cons could go on for hours in debate. We walked over to the table where my things were, got my stuff and went to my bike. They handed back my keys and told me that I could strap up and re-holster if I wanted to, but to just drive down the street a little bit before I did so. They helped me get everything back onto my bike, strapped my rifle case back on, and I was about my way.

Overall, I would say that this encounter did not start off the best. For a slight moment I was indeed worried about the stupid extortionate impound fees there may have been for my motorcycle. Did I give the officers involved more info than necessary? Possibly. When concurring information to them, I answered what I thought was required by the C.V.C. Since I was in operation of a vehicle I did provide my DL. I did provide my registration and proof of insurance. I did inform them that I had another (disassembled) firearm [I did not see them open the case to inspect it]. Half-way through was the turning point.

Did this turn around into a positive encounter? My moral-ometer wants to say yes, but I must fairly describe it as neutral. The positive ending of the encounter balanced out the unlawful detainment, false arrest (was it even technically an arrest?) and affirmation of the "I'm right, you're wrong, I know, you do not" attitude. I attribute that initial part of the contact to the role-playing that officers most frequently invoke when they deal with any suspect to establish a feeling of superiority over said subject. Was Officer 1 truly sincere in his apology? After recounting the situation in my mind a few times I believe he was. At no point during this encounter did I have guns drawn on me (felony hot stop style) and given orders. Most all of the dialogue was exchanged in a civil tone. There was no demeaning or insulting dialogue between any of the officers and myself.

What did I learn? I learned that I still have a lot to learn. I learned that having a working knowledge of the law will help when you are in the right. I learned that I need to find a better voice recorder because despite mine having a 60+ hour recording time, it eats batteries like mad. Resulting in me not being able to provide a recording. (I do have proof, should someone wish to contest the validity of my story).

What advice can I give you? Stay confident. Stick to your wits. It is OK to be nervous about a LE encounter. Do not let that feeling of nervousness turn into fear. If you believe that an officer is wrong, tell them you respectfully disagree and want them to check the penal code. Do not become rude or hostile! Keep your cool, be calm and cordial. You do not have to be super polite.

What will I do now? Most certainly on Monday I will mail the PD my commentary on the situation, what could be improved in future UOC encounters and an outline of what was done wrong in the event.

Thats about it. I hope that you all can provide some more tips or suggestions for my next LEO encounter as well.

nick1

imported post

He did say you were under arrest, and you had your Miranda rights read to you. Does that qualify as being under arrest?

I might be wrong in this instance, but I'm looking forward to a successfullawsuit on at least one of these stops, better yet, on many of them. Without it I seriously doubt the situation is going to change.

nativeofsandiego

imported post

Awesome man. I was expecting to hear about your court date!

I am glad you made it out with all your stuff... At least you educated some more LEOs about the open carry laws.

Maybe you could go to the news with your story? At least it would provide some coverage and publicity about open carrying in California (assuming they air it of course).

Glad it turned out better than it started...!

old dog

imported post

Criticism of spelling requires care. It can be fraught with peril.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Good to hear that they discovered their mistake before completely ruining your Father's Day weekend (sounded like it was only 80% ruined).

By the way, could you share what PD you were dealing with since it sounded like you were in my neck of the woods? Or if you don't feel like posting, could you PM me?

:celebrateThat's for being released!

:banghead:That's for having to deal with another cuff-happy LEO (fire, ready, aim).

planedude86

imported post

Has anyone with standing after a UOC detention/arrest filed suit? It doesn't seem so. I don't know about the UOC detainees/arrestees, but for some people, lost time is lost money and opportunity. The law enforcement agencies characterize OCers as lawsuit seekers, yet they allow arrogance and ignorance to pervade their ranks. This exposes them to liability. LAPD paid out millions in settlements as a result of the May Day rally melee because some officers let testosterone get the best of them. Even punitive damages of $1 would send a strong message, although non-litigious education would be best.

The POST LDs do cover this stuff, but sometimes misinformation and arrogance is reinforced in the academy. No recruit is going to say, "Sir, Recruit Jones believes Tactical Officer Adams is misinformed about the definition of loaded." That is suicide. And some pre-Clark era cops (some of whom are in supervisory positions) don't keep themselves updated, and so they spread incorrect information to the officers they command.

At least the officer here allowed himself to be educated about the law, as opposed to the officers in the other cases. Some officers, even some considered allies, believe that legal arguments are for court, not the street. As one said on Calguns, "I'd arrest and let the lawyers sort it out."

flintlock tom

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Crap I on 5th encounter in a week.. Finally had a SWAT Sgt get totally animated and said some of the wall comments in regards to me. I originally wasnt going to record and be totaly cooperative being that i am on my way to becoming a peace officer myself, but after his comments i just got a tape recorder Game on mother f*****
Greetings and welcome, Stuck,
Many here would be interested in more details of your police encounters. Would you start a new thread and share?
We all benefit from the experiences of one another.

Oops, I just noticed that you have posted your experience.
Thanks.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's up to demnogis of course, but this may be a time to let it slide.

The officer didn't try to back out at all. He fully admitted his wrongdoing, and apologized.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

demnogis wrote:
1) What information do I have to provide to LE when being arrested and/or accused for a crime? Even if they do not know for certain what crime it is?

2) Then I hear it, clear as day, in the background: "Sarge? Hey sarge, can you come here? I made a mistake..."
:shock::D :celebrate

1) By giving them your photo ID, you gave them as much information as they needed. All they are entitled to in an investigation is name and address. From the point they started asking questions, I hope that I would remember to ask questions right back. Am I being detained? Are you investigating a crime? What crime are you investigating? Can you tell me what your suspicion is? Hopefully all the while not giving them any more information than they already have.

2) There's your sign. When I got to this point of your account, I was wooting and cheering in an empty house reading something on the interwebs. This was freaking outstanding because they realized that their assumptions were incorrect and had to allow you to leave. Now these officers will tell other officers about this encounter- they in turn will have to make a decision as to how they will deal with an open carrier. Further, your account will encourage and educate other prospective open carriers in police encounters. This is how change is made.

Good job- Im pleased that it hasnt rattled you too much...

suntzu

imported post

demnogis--you are about to become rich...lawyer up and take them to the cleaners...maybe by the time you are done the cops who did this to you won't even have a job....one can hope anyway.

as for his demeanor--I would not give a kitty about whether he had a reversal or not--I'd want his job on a platter.

as for how "sorry" the cop was--the only reason he was "sorry" was because he got caught....

flintlock tom

imported post

Demnogis,
Outstanding outcome!
You have successfully spread the word among another agency. Future encounters, for all of us, will go much smoother because of your experience.
I shook your hand in San Diego, in February, and I look forward to that pleasure again.

Flintlock Tom

rpyne

imported post

marshaul wrote:
It's up to demnogis of course, but this may be a time to let it slide.

The officer didn't try to back out at all. He fully admitted his wrongdoing, and apologized.
I disagree. This is most definitely NOT a time to let it slide. The ONLY way the police in Komifornia, or anywhere else, are every going to get the message is by seeing one of their own lose every penny he has or ever hopes to have, or better yet ends up in prison, for violating the rights of a citizen.

Admitting they were wrong does not negate or excuse the wrongdoing any more than it would for any of us if we were to inadvertently violate the law. If demnogis had "made a mistake" and had a loaded magazine even touching his sidearm, you can bet that he would be sitting in a cell right now no matter how much he admitted his wrongdoing or apologized.

This was not merely an illegal prolonged detention, it was a full fledged false arrest. Nail them to the wall.