• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Forum. New ideas.

UncleSmack

imported post

I live in the Flint, MI area (swartz creek), and am eagerly awaiting my cpl which should be arriving within the next 2 weeks. Getting my cpl for various reasons including walking in on a store being robbed and having an unmasked BG point his gun at my head.
I've been intently reading the forum here for the past couple weeks and feel it has really given me the confidence to slowly start OCing once I get my cpl, so thank you! I will be carrying an XD-40 subcompact I purchased recently and absolutly love (comments, criticisms, and thoughts on my choice are welcome). I am a bit nervous to OC but the more I read the more comfortable I am with the thought.
My main reason starting this thread are a few questions and ideas I have. First, is there anyone in charge of the group? Or a main few people? So would know who to contact for information or pamphlets etc...
I notice on many many posts the main emphasis is on making people aware of the law and their rights, and to make them comfortable with exercising those rights. I am an amateur graphic designer (not professional yet...just tinker) and I thought what better way than to maybe make up some T-shirts that on the back lists the OC laws of Michigan (or parts of them) and maybe a Michigan open carry logo for the group, which if there is not one I would be happy to make a few mock-ups, just need to know who to bounce them off of for input.
I just thought it would be a non intimidating way to get people educated and something nice to have at future get togethers (which I look forward to attending). It also struck me funny is that they would also give any LEO something to read if they had you put your hands on their hood. Hehehehe.
This is my first post so I will keep it short but any thoughts or suggestions or comments would be great!

EM87

imported post

I love the t-shirt idea! I'm sure that the people here would be glad to help consolidate the important parts of the law for the back of the shirt. I'd post more, but I'm short on time, and like autosurgeon said, you can find most of your answers on the forum. MOC (Michigan Open Carry) has a board for making decisions, but is primarily a grassroots organization. You can find the pamphlets in one of the stickied threads at the top of the page, I believe. You just print them out yourself. Welcome to OCDO!

Michigander

imported post

First of all, proper paragraphs are your friend. ;)

Anyway, I also like the shirt idea. Having the laws right in a cops face negates any possibility that they can claim they didn't know the law. Having a shirt on that stated the laws would seal the deal, particularly if you could prove you were wearing it at the point when they harassed you, which I would do by taking pictures of myself on the scene wearing the shirt..

It would be a lot of words to put on a shirt. The letters would probably end up being pretty small, so it would have to be a material and an ink that wouldn't fade easily.

In a similar measure, I've made an envelope to put my ID and CPL in. Before a cop who takes my ID without permission could actually see my ID, they would first be confronted with this:

WARNING TO POLICE[/b]
Without probable cause, a Terry stop is illegal. Mere possession
of a firearm where possibly legal is not probable cause, and I do
not consent to any searches. If you are forcibly Terry stopping
or otherwise detaining me merely because of open carrying, you
are clearly violating some or all of the following Federal and
State laws: -MCL Section 750.411
-42 USC 1983 - Mi Const. art. 1 sec 6
-Title 18, Sec 242, USC -Terry v Ohio
-2, and 4 Amd. B.O.R. –JL v Florida (SCOTUS) 2000
Refer questions to Dean Greenblat, firearms attorney
-248 644 8760

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
First of all, proper paragraphs are your friend. ;)

Anyway, I also like the shirt idea. Having the laws right in a cops face negates any possibility that they can claim they didn't know the law. Having a shirt on that stated the laws would seal the deal, particularly if you could prove you were wearing it at the point when they harassed you, which I would do by taking pictures of myself on the scene wearing the shirt..

It would be a lot of words to put on a shirt. The letters would probably end up being pretty small, so it would have to be a material and an ink that wouldn't fade easily.

In a similar measure, I've made an envelope to put my ID and CPL in. Before a cop who takes my ID without permission could actually see my ID, they would first be confronted with this:

WARNING TO POLICE
Without probable cause, a Terry stop is illegal. Mere possession
of a firearm where possibly legal is not probable cause, and I do
not consent to any searches. If you are forcibly Terry stopping
or otherwise detaining me merely because of open carrying, you
are clearly violating some or all of the following Federal and
State laws: -MCL Section 750.411
-42 USC 1983 - Mi Const. art. 1 sec 6
-Title 18, Sec 242, USC -Terry v Ohio
-2, and 4 Amd. B.O.R. –JL v Florida (SCOTUS) 2000
Refer questions to Dean Greenblat, firearms attorney
-248 644 8760
could have been handy for me to have today...

UncleSmack

imported post

Yea I like the idea of carrying your ID that way and will definatly do the same, brilliant! And yes I know the letters would end up fairly small font if too much was listed but maybe a brief description of a few key laws with # might do the trick. Just enough to get people curious enough to ask about it would do the trick.

LaVere

imported post

Welcome to open carry. We have picnics and lunch get togethers here in the Flint area and throught out the state.

Don't feel that you HAVE to open carry. It is your choice. Looking forward to see you at a lunch. Gun are optional at the lunches;)

Flint eastside

Gordon

office888

imported post

Welcome to forums.

Let me point out your first flaw:

You didn't buy a 1911!

:D

Springfield Armory makes great firearms, I carry one of their 1911s as my carry pistol. XDs are extremely reliable. I do like the XD40s, as I'm not really a fan of 9mm altogether. Much like in cars "There's no replacement for displacement", there's "No replacement for a bigger boom".

Be sure to read into the laws a bit. They're worded fairly well on here.

-Richard-

Michigander

imported post

office888 wrote:
You didn't buy a 1911!
I love my P220, and I don't miss my 1911 a bit. :p

Compared to an out of the box 1911, my P220 has better accuracy and reliability, easier field stripping, and no manual safety. The choice is obvious. :cool:

office888

imported post

Michigander wrote:
office888 wrote:
You didn't buy a 1911!
I love my P220, and I don't miss my 1911 a bit. :p

Compared to an out of the box 1911, my P220 has better accuracy and reliability, easier field stripping, and no manual safety. The choice is obvious. :cool:
Reliability issues with a 1911? Bullshit! :D

Those only show up when 1 of 4 things happen:

1.) You modified it. SHAAMMEEE.
2.) Worn out or inferior quality magazines.
3.) It was made in China.
4.) You assemble it with a 10 lb sledge. 5 lb sledge is okay. :p

This is what made me choose one:

Marines, Attu, 1943
attu43.jpg

Vietnam, Unknown
tunnelrat-1.jpg

Fin.

-Richard-

Michigander

imported post

You forgot about the extractor being screwed up, or the feed ramp needing work.

No offense to 1911 guys, they're just not my thing.

UncleSmack

imported post

I bought the sub XD40 because I figured it would be easier to conceal. I do need the high cap mag so my pinky doesn't hang off but with it the comfort is amazing. I have found it to be Extremely accurate despite the 3" barrel. I was considering the glock but the grip safety on the XD sealed the deal for me, far less chance of accidental discharge when drawing, etc...

My dad had a glock 27 he was making payments on and after he shot my XD he switched over his glock payments to the sub XD 9, he has trouble with one handed shooting with the .40 due to him missing his right ring finger which makes the recoil a bit too much. So the good son I am I payed off his last $200 he owed as an early fathers day gift.

Bought my XD for $474.95 at Williams