• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Machette Attack

hawaidvr9

imported post

I wanted to share this story with everyone. I know the young man was not old enough to carry a concealed pistol in the State of Washington, so thats not needed as a major discussion. However, I do feel that if at 18 years old a person can join the military, then at 18 years old they should have the ability to exercise their rights. The argument that at 18 years old a person doesn't have enough experience to carry is ridiculous considering that 18 year olds are given guns and sent to war.

Here is a link to the story

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=10563339

And this is why I decided to post this story, below is a comment from the police about what witnesses did.

The man was talking to the people when he attacked the man with a machete. Witnesses report hearing screaming but say they thought it was just high school kids.

There is not going to be help from the community, nor will the police respond fast enough to save your butt. People are unable to distinguish between calls for help and the kids running around screaming their heads off.

Have a safe weekend!!!!!

FunkTrooper

imported post

Honestly I don't think just because someone is qualified to enlist doesn't me they qualify for everything. However when I was 18 I always kept my KA-BAR close and was glad I did on several occasions.

hawaidvr9

imported post

The article was really about the fact that people heard the screaming and disregarded it to just a bunch of kids playing.

Also, my statement about 18 year olds is a valid oppinion. After a person has gone through Basic Training in any of the branches, they are more likely better trained to use a weapon then the average citizen over the age of 21 who have no training but are allowed to carry.

Again, just an oppinion, not anything that requires a lot of comments. The comments should be about what the witnesses said, that is the most important thing to consider. The statement says a lot about why we need to be able to protect ourselves and not rely on the help of others. Unless its a major catastrophy people really do not notice what is going on around them. Or they can simply dismiss the noise or in this case, screaming, as "just a bunch of high school kids". No one called the police nor did anyone go and check out the screaming. The young man was alone, unarmed and being attacked by a man with a machette and NO ONE helped. This incident is an excellent reason, example, as to why either OC or CC should be practiced by a lot more of the citizens of this country.

Have a Safe Weekend!!!

compmanio365

imported post

If someone, at 12, can know how to use a weapon in self defense and not anger, then I say let them. The government should keep it's big nose out of it and leave it to the parents to parent their children. If that kid uses his weapon in anger or to commit a crime, charge them just like one of us would be charged.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

+1

Our arbitrary age requirement for things in this country baffles me. There has been several accounts I read were "underage children" were able to protect their family from unwanted intruders.

Besides I was able to obtain a pistol when I was 11. So the law doesn't stop those determined to do something they are going to do.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Both of my boys were very capable at 15 yrs oldor so. I purchased lots of ammo and we shot a lot, I would trust either of them with my life they have been well trained. No reason that they could not OC or CC at 15.

FunkTrooper

imported post

hawaidvr9 wrote:
The article was really about the fact that people heard the screaming and disregarded it to just a bunch of kids playing.

Also, my statement about 18 year olds is a valid oppinion. After a person has gone through Basic Training in any of the branches, they are more likely better trained to use a weapon then the average citizen over the age of 21 who have no training but are allowed to carry.

Again, just an oppinion, not anything that requires a lot of comments. The comments should be about what the witnesses said, that is the most important thing to consider. The statement says a lot about why we need to be able to protect ourselves and not rely on the help of others. Unless its a major catastrophy people really do not notice what is going on around them. Or they can simply dismiss the noise or in this case, screaming, as "just a bunch of high school kids". No one called the police nor did anyone go and check out the screaming. The young man was alone, unarmed and being attacked by a man with a machette and NO ONE helped. This incident is an excellent reason, example, as to why either OC or CC should be practiced by a lot more of the citizens of this country.

Have a Safe Weekend!!!
Here's the issue, hearing screaming isn't all that unusual kids playing can and do scream I used to ride my bike around my old neighborhood and would hear screams. I tried to find out where they were coming from but never could. I would only call the police if I heard someone screaming HELP. Help tells me someone needs assistance more than random screaming.

You are correct about relying on oneself because when SHTF we are our first line of defense (not the coast guard).

ScottyDog

imported post

"After a person has gone through Basic Training in any of the branches, they are more likely better trained to use a weapon then the average citizen over the age of 21 who have no training but are allowed to carry"

I strongly beg to differ. :) I have been training with firearms since I was 7. thats 29 years. Nobody fresh out of boot camp has the skills that a lifetime shooter has.

Now special ops is a different ball game....

colt45ws

imported post

ScottyDog wrote:
"After a person has gone through Basic Training in any of the branches, they are more likely better trained to use a weapon then the average citizen over the age of 21 who have no training but are allowed to carry"

I strongly beg to differ. :) I have been training with firearms since I was 7. thats 29 years. Nobody fresh out of boot camp has the skills that a lifetime shooter has.

Now special ops is a different ball game....
Key words, "no training."