Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: "Ignore this User" Feature

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    Some boards have an ability for a poster to block another poster's writings. This feature is handy, as it lets one ignore the trolls, grudge-holders, and tag-alongs.

    Is that a selectable option for the forum administrator? Sure would be nice to have.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    263

    Post imported post

    That would be nice, actually.

  3. #3
    Regular Member UtahRSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    I haven't seen that feature on this forum. If there were, I'd use it on a few, those whonitpick and argue just to rile people up, anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Personally, I've never found it that difficult to simply ignore users that annoy me.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , , Zimbabwe
    Posts
    114

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    UtahRSO wrote:
    anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.
    So you'd simply ignore people you disagree with, head in the sand.

    Real good idea there, wouldn't want any opposing viewpoints.

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Il_Duce wrote:
    UtahRSO wrote:
    anda few who think those who carry concealed at times are giving up their rights.
    So you'd simply ignore people you disagree with, head in the sand.

    Real good idea there, wouldn't want any opposing viewpoints.
    Or you ignore the people who are just idiots. It's not like there aren't some on this forum. Or trolls. Or you get the idea. Or in this case, loudmouths who must insist on challenging people who think outside your narrowly defined box.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    Are you saying he should be put on ignore for thinking in a tiny box?

  9. #9
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Duce,

    I believe ignoring people who blatantly attack others for their beliefs is what makes the ignore feature useful. There is a specific person on this forum who likes to make such attacks.

    To OP,

    Ignore would be a nice feature, I agree. While I can't believe the mywowbb programmers would make such a feature instantly, there is no reason why a user can't make it themselves.

    Anyone want to gease up their hands and make a greasemonkey script to "ignore users"?
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  10. #10
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    I created an add-on, which the topic may be viewed on how to install it here....

    ( [ADD-ON] Opencarry.org Ignore Feature )
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/27477.html
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    The add-on idea and implementation is brilliant. Check it out. OCDO is forever changed, I hope for the better.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    That would be great, especially if you could track who is being blocked. It could help weed out unwanted posters.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    "Ignore Feature"

    WOW! this entire website is about standing up for your rights keeping and forwardinour ability to defend ourselves. And we want an ignore feature?:shock:

    I am glad I am not the only person that sees how contradictive that feature would be to this fourm. Now if this ignore feature only worked to block PM's I would have no problem with it. By activating an "Ignore" feature in general threads would only keep you out of what is actualy going on. And what hapens when soneone quotes the poster you chose to ignore? it would defeat the purpose and make some parts of the thread difficult to understand.


    Even if someone says nothing but complete crap 99% of the time, there is also that 1% chance that they may state something that is truly great. And you may just miss it!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    derf wrote:
    That would be great, especially if you could track who is being blocked. It could help weed out unwanted posters.
    Maybe society as a whole could take a lesson from this, if you don;t want to hear what someone has to say, use the "Ignore" feature.

    Isn't that how this country as a whole got to where we are today? The politicians we put in office to be our mouthpiece to the rest of the country have obviously used their "Ignore" feature to push their personal agenda instead of representing the people that elected them!

  15. #15
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    Even if someone says nothing but complete crap 99% of the time, there is also that 1% chance that they may state something that is truly great. And you may just miss it!
    This roo is putting his 10" tall boot down.

    There is no reason for people to misbehave in a severe ill fashion. i.e. Making sexual comments about a person on a public forum, whether true or false.

    If people want to be listened to, they need to act like an adult. Do you think people listen to childish workers in business? What makes you think the general public wants to listen to such individuals?
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    There is no reason for people to misbehave in a severe ill fashion. i.e. Making sexual comments about a person on a public forum, whether true or false. If people want to be listened to, they need to act like an adult. Do you think people listen to childish workers in business? What makes you think the general public wants to listen to such individuals?
    Yes, it is often not worth sifting through rhetoric and diatribes to extract the small amount of useful info that might be buried somewhere inside.
    Some forums have a "rep" feature that let people rate others' posts. If you see someone with a high negative "rep" you know they are full of bull.


  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , , Zimbabwe
    Posts
    114

    Post imported post

    derf wrote:
    If you see someone with a high negative "rep" you know they are full of bull.
    nope just disagreeably right not nice

    Master wrote:
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taco-Ma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Another forum I am on has a feature that allows users to "rate" the other users. It allows you to either "exalt" or "smite" a user. the forum administrator has final say as to whether it is permanent. This way, you can see whether a user is malicious or beneficial to the board. The rank goes right under his avatar and cannot be removed at user level.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    "Ignore Feature"

    WOW! this entire website is about standing up for your rights keeping and forwardinour ability to defend ourselves. And we want an ignore feature?:shock:
    Absolutely. Mike doesn't like to see any posters receive a drubbing, and there are some trolls just begging for a whoopin' by posting some absolute rubbish. It's best to take care of Mike and not napalm the board, so we banish them across Styx, and we forget they ever existed.

    Anything of worth won't come from these folks, anyway.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    bugly wrote:
    Another forum I am on has a feature that allows users to "rate" the other users. It allows you to either "exalt" or "smite" a user. the forum administrator has final say as to whether it is permanent. This way, you can see whether a user is malicious or beneficial to the board. The rank goes right under his avatar and cannot be removed at user level.
    Yes, that is the same thing as the "rep" thing I mentioned.


  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    smoking357 wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    "Ignore Feature"

    WOW! this entire website is about standing up for your rights keeping and forwardinour ability to defend ourselves. And we want an ignore feature?:shock:
    Absolutely. Mike doesn't like to see any posters receive a drubbing, and there are some trolls just begging for a whoopin' by posting some absolute rubbish. It's best to take care of Mike and not napalm the board, so we banish them across Styx, and we forget they ever existed.

    Anything of worth won't come from these folks, anyway.
    Remember comrades, if it doesn't line up with your worldview, it is rubbish.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    Il_Duce wrote:
    Remember comrades, if it doesn't line up with your worldview, it is rubbish.
    I don't know where you stand, but I come here to read pro-RKBA posts. When I see people attacking our rights and gun owners, I get mad, since such people don't belong here.

    If we're not allowed to shame them out and reproof their anti-gun agenda, then the best thing to do is ignore them.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    smoking357 wrote:
    Il_Duce wrote:
    Remember comrades, if it doesn't line up with your worldview, it is rubbish.
    I don't know where you stand, but I come here to read pro-RKBA posts. When I see people attacking our rights and gun owners, I get mad, since such people don't belong here.

    If we're not allowed to shame them out and reproof their anti-gun agenda, then the best thing to do is ignore them.
    Whatever you say comrade. The party knows best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •